Driveshaft Bulletin!!!

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris probably doesn't want people to buy the 2012 shaft due to lack of supply. If in one week more people buy driveshafts than in the last two years their supply would be exhausted. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't this driveshaft be as big of an issue as a brake failure. IMO it's just as dangerous, and would warrant an immediate safety recall, not a fix-as-fail one. Also don't the c3 belt drive kits just run a normal bearing on a steel shaft with no oil bath. With some anti-seize compound the 2012 seizing issue would be non-existent.

So polaris doesn't want to sell parts? Good point on the c3 scenario.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah for sure. I'm not very familiar with the system but most bearing fit tight (in order to actually serve their purpose). Can't see tons of oil getting between the mating surfaces.

Depends on design. Either the inner race or the outer race will be designed to creep while the other is stationary, since the inner and outer diameters are different. More often the outer race, but not always. Kinda like your rear differential compensates for different wheel speeds when you're going around a corner.

Last edited:

sprinkfitter

Reaction score
Anyone talk to C3 for what they use for the belt drive conversion of the 12s do they provide a bearing

DDebert

Reaction score
Had three 13 Pros out this weekend in Revy. Rode them hard and no driveshaft issues. One did have the quick drive belt let go 5 miles up the trail the first day, but after replaced no problems. All three have over 60 miles on them

Did run into a group that had a 13 shaft let go tho.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Had three 13 Pros out this weekend in Revy. Rode them hard and no driveshaft issues. One did have the quick drive belt let go 5 miles up the trail the first day, but after replaced no problems. All three have over 60 miles on them

Did run into a group that had a 13 shaft let go tho.

Why does the quick drive belt go? Seems like they are not as durable as a chain..... I never had to carry a spare chain but it seems like guys have to carry spare quick drive belts....Is that really progress?
Just sayin'

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I saw the new bulliten from poo today, basically says that the shafts are good and any that have issues will be replaced. All the shafts made now are "better". Don't know what I think of this. I do not even want to take the sled out

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
190 responses in this thread......about 6 of 'em from actual Polaris owners. Nice work boys! :perfect10:

Probably cuz this driveshaft issue brings back alot of painful memories for the Doo guys that went through this 5 years ago.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah for sure. I'm not very familiar with the system but most bearing fit tight (in order to actually serve their purpose). Can't see tons of oil getting between the mating surfaces. A quality anti-seize compound would have to do the trick wouldn't you think? Personally I'd douse it in koprkote and ride. Even if I needed to torch it out in 2000 miles. At least I'd feel good about it.

I doesn't get tons of oil but there is a little o-ring on the inner side of the chaincase to axle on the 2012 shaft that holds oil in and moisture out!! I put a 2012 axle in mine and put copper kote anti-seize on it, I'm sure there will be no issues!!!

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doesn't get tons of oil but there is a little o-ring on the inner side of the chaincase to axle on the 2012 shaft that holds oil in and moisture out!! I put a 2012 axle in mine and put copper kote anti-seize on it, I'm sure there will be no issues!!!

I'm sure that set up will work good for ya.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you would have to drill three holes, and fill each "compartment" inside the extruded tube.

pooshaft3.jpg
That pic looks like a riveted shaft that failed.

1mcatman

Reaction score
My dealer call me today (service manager a friend of mine) and told me today to run a clamp kit till he is able to get his hands on the "updated shaft"...and he would call me to have it put in...we ride together so im going to take him for his word.....37.8 and no problems

1mcatman

Reaction score
I truely believe this was an outsourced part that got f****** up and polaris is all over it now to get enough stock to send dealers good shafts...and yes im riding a 13 Pro

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I truely believe this was an outsourced part that got f****** up and polaris is all over it now to get enough stock to send dealers good shafts...and yes im riding a 13 Pro

Doo guy posting, former Polaris test pilot..... one of 198 more posts.....LOL

Hopefully the new shafts are better than the one replaced for a guy who blew the second replaced one..... (you saw it over on snowest)

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I saw the new bulliten from poo today, basically says that the shafts are good and any that have issues will be replaced. All the shafts made now are "better". Don't know what I think of this. I do not even want to take the sled out

There is more..........

scott 259

Reaction score
Sometimes "Light" is too light.....and things break (shafts), another one let go today in Revy. I woud guess sadly for the owners this is just the begining.

hunt340

Reaction score
Im hoping my ride this weekend will result in no broken anything, especially my drive shaft. So far with only a few hundred kms on the 13 poo I havent had any issues.(knock on wood). As for the 20000 poos this number is acurate. Remember not all sleds are sold here in western canada. Newfounldland has sales reported in the 3500 range. with only a half a million people thats not bad. so with that said look at ontario where one small nothern city has more people in it then all of newfoundland. There sales would be 5 times that amount. Then Colorado where Poo sales are always high. So for them to say 20000 i'd say thats accurate. But just in case I think im ordering the billet fix I saw on another thread.lol

Top Bottom