Drift Innovation HD170 Problems

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an Drift Innovation HD170 that won't turn on for some reason. I went to charge the camera today after not having used it since August. When plugged in the blue LED lights up, indicating the battery is charging. I let it charge for a few hours, but when I went to power the camera on nothing happened. Tried plugging the camera back in, but found that the blue LED light no longer even comes on. I tried removing the battery/memory card and re-inserting them, but with no luck. I can't see the battery being pooched already since I've only used the camera for 4-5 hours.

I've sent an e-mail to support but figured I would post on here to see if anyone knew of anything.

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may have let the battery run down too much if it sat since August. My brother inlaw let his Rino battery (lithium) run down too much. There isn't enough of a charge for the camera to recognize a battery anymore.
The good part is that Drift batteries are not very expensive.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh, that does make sense though. After being plugged in for a while the battery measured to have 3.3V (it's a 3.7V 1110mAh lithium ion battery). I'm no techno-geek so I have no clue whether this is a sufficient charge or not.

Regardless, Drift is sending me a replacement battery free of charge so I can't complain with that one bit.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am having a problem with my Drift HD170 Stealth. I got the camera for Christmas and after using it in Valemount for a few days realized that all my pictures had funny corners(first attached picture). I contacted Drift, they said update firmware and retry. Did that process and still had problems. Returned the camera for another.

Second camera had the same problems that the first one did. Returned it.

Just got the next replacement, Camera #3. Took some pictures as soon as I got it and the corners arent as dark, but their is a spot in the top right corner that isnt correct.

Anyone else having these problems?

Attachments

• FILE0040.jpg
    FILE0040.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 168
  • FILE0008.jpg
    FILE0008.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 168

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have a HD170 Stealth after they found out it wasn't the battery causing the problem. Here's a picture with it. The camera has worked perfect for me.
FILE0012.jpg

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So your corners are black like mine.........I wonder why they are like that. Anyone else have a Drift camera picture to share?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never taken pictures with mine before, I'll try it tomorrow. I think it's such a wide angle lens it catches the lens ring. maybe try zooming in a couple clicks for your pictures

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like you are in 720p which gives 170* wide angle....and you will get the corners cut off. Try 1080p...it's better quality and only 127* angle.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1080 and 720 only adjust the video. There is no way to make adjustments on picture, they are 5mp cameras.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1080 and 720 only adjust the video. There is no way to make adjustments on picture, they are 5mp cameras.
Ahhh..makes sense. I use my other camera for stills....the Drift for vid only....I know the "fisheye effect" is much worse when on 720p....

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
023.jpg
Here's a picture from my previous camera (HD170, not a stealth) and it only has that black in one corner? I'm pretty sure it's what teeroy said, that it's the wide angle lens catching the lens ring.

Noswad24

Reaction score
I also have a HD170 Stealth after they found out it wasn't the battery causing the problem. Here's a picture with it. The camera has worked perfect for me.
View attachment 124524
Did you ever find out what the problem was with your camera? Mine is doing the same thing, blue light comes on to say its charging but it won't turn on.

Doof

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you ever find out what the problem was with your camera? Mine is doing the same thing, blue light comes on to say its charging but it won't turn on.

I had to send it back to the place I bought it. They looked at it, couldn't determine what was wrong, so Drift sent me a replacement HD170 Stealth free of charge. There was nothing wrong with the batteries, so it must be a software issue of some sort.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dood, teeroy, DaveB:

Just to inform everyone, I was contacted by Drift yesterday and they have a fix for the black corner problem. New firmware will be out in the next few weeks and a few retailers already have access to it. I visited my retailer in CrossIron Mills and they upgraded for me, apparently I am the first one to get it fixed as Drift send the firmware to them to get to me.

If it bugs you as much as it did me the fix is here!!!

mtnrev

Reaction score
Dood, teeroy, DaveB:

Just to inform everyone, I was contacted by Drift yesterday and they have a fix for the black corner problem. New firmware will be out in the next few weeks and a few retailers already have access to it. I visited my retailer in CrossIron Mills and they upgraded for me, apparently I am the first one to get it fixed as Drift send the firmware to them to get to me.

If it bugs you as much as it did me the fix is here!!!

Who sells these cameras in CrossIron Mills?

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its just a booth near the food court. It is called Go Pro Sports Cameras.

Top Bottom