Dragon goes down

Kwwapiti

Reaction score
Riding my 2010 Dragon 800 it just quit on me as if I had hit the kill switch. It has never done this. It has 800 miles on it and is all stock except for a can. After letting it sit a few minutes it started again and ran for a while then died again. I noticed I had no dash display, headlights, etc. When it would restart I would have the electrical components for a while but then they would go away. I have a feeling it is a faulty voltage regulator but to be honest and not sure where it is located. Under the plastic belt holder above the clutch is my next guess. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful if you have experienced this type of thing before. Thanks

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes it is under the plastic clutch cover dont run it any more until you rplace it (the VR) that is or it will take out the ECU.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've read that there is an issue with voltage regulators on dragons. Polaris produced an improved one. I'm trying to find the info in all of my bookmarks that has the new part number. I'm sure a dealer could tell you though. Some people also think the ECU gets overheated by the voltage regulator because they are mounted on top of each other. Another link I'm trying to find that shows how and where to relocate the voltage regulator. I plan on buying a spare voltage regulator and keep it in my tunnel bag just in case. If I can find my links, I'll post them.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that it was also suspected that these were not grounded properly and a ground strap back to the chassis may help. Found this: The electrical systems with Voltage Regulators going out can be solved by adding
an extra ground strap from the chassis ground to the engine, (rear PTO motor mount is the easiest AND by adding a 12 volt computer fan on top of the VR and relocating the capacitor (that normally sits on top of the VR).

Last edited:

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've read that there is an issue with voltage regulators on dragons. Polaris produced an improved one. I'm trying to find the info in all of my bookmarks that has the new part number. I'm sure a dealer could tell you though. Some people also think the ECU gets overheated by the voltage regulator because they are mounted on top of each other. Another link I'm trying to find that shows how and where to relocate the voltage regulator. I plan on buying a spare voltage regulator and keep it in my tunnel bag just in case. If I can find my links, I'll post them.

I dont think it is hard on the ecu it is, I had to replace both after my son tried to limp it home.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely VR. Replace with Polaris part number 4013587. The ECU is not on top of the VR. It sits on the end of the plate towards the rider. If you run the sled after the VR starts giving you grief you will likely cook the ECU. The underside of the ECU will look burned and bubbled. Then it gets expensive.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely VR. Replace with Polaris part number 4013587. The ECU is not on top of the VR. It sits on the end of the plate towards the rider. If you run the sled after the VR starts giving you grief you will likely cook the ECU. The underside of the ECU will look burned and bubbled. Then it gets expensive.

I re-read some info and it's a capacitor that's on top. I have to look at mine.

Top Bottom