DOT & Cat Removal

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has any one been pulled over and fined for removing the CAT form the exhaust system of there truck? :confused:??

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what about factory warenty??? does removing the CAT void the engine warenty??

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
what about factory warenty??? Does removing the cat void the engine warenty??

probably, if they can prove any damage was caused by removing it, but like the service manager and shop foreman at the dealership i bought my truck from said....... If they can prove it -- fat chance of anything happening as a result of removing it......

But, newer vehicles with the particulate filters, may have issues and you better check into it further then.......

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
probably, if they can prove any damage was caused by removing it, but like the service manager and shop foreman at the dealership i bought my truck from said....... If they can prove it -- fat chance of anything happening as a result of removing it......

But, newer vehicles with the particulate filters, may have issues and you better check into it further then.......

good to know, thanks for the insite.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you could possibly end up with an issue if you ever moved and needed an out of province insp. might not pass without it.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree with you, and I haven't heard of it being a problem, but I think if the dealer says it's a problem then YOU will be responsible for proving that it wasn't the problem ....... and most people don't have the resources to battle their lawyers, etc.

NoseFirst

Reaction score
My dealer is the one who told me to remove the cat. Just note if you remove both the muffler and cat you will get a little better milage but it takes awhile for the turbo to spool up when starting from a stop. (no back pressure)

NoseFirst

Reaction score
It was my Dealer who told me to remove mine. I kept the cat in the garage as the dealer suggested that way if there is a problem you have it. Keep in mind that if you remove both the cat and muffler you will get slightly better milage but it takes a bit for the turbo to spool up from a stop.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled the cat in my 05 Cummins years ago. Someone said I would get better fuel economy. Not. but at least it smells like a diesel should. This summer I ordered up the Banks exhaust brake for my truck. Done a lot a homework first. Talking with Alex Nugget @ Banks he suggested that taking out the cat is not real gain in anyway. best gain would be to remove the muffler. better fuel economy and better HP hgains to chipped engines. Being based out of California. I would think that they would know all the rules around emissions.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled the cat in my 05 Cummins years ago. Someone said I would get better fuel economy. Not. but at least it smells like a diesel should. This summer I ordered up the Banks exhaust brake for my truck. Done a lot a homework first. Talking with Alex Nugget @ Banks he suggested that taking out the cat is not real gain in anyway. best gain would be to remove the muffler. better fuel economy and better HP hgains to chipped engines. Being based out of California. I would think that they would know all the rules around emissions.

the cat is where the restriction is not the muffler,have you ever looked inside
removing the muffler will barely do anything

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a `03 CDT. I am on the first tank of fuel after removing the muffler.The `03 had no cat, so now it is open 4' from the turbo back. I am approaching 700km. and still have 1/4 tank left. It was hard pressed to get 500km. per tank before removal of the muffler.
While pulling a 28ft. fifth wheel and a 14ft. quad trailer behind I have gained about 2-3 MPG.
So yes, I do think removing the muffler made a differance and I wish I had done it earlier.

Last edited:

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a `03 CDT. I am on the first tank of fuel after removing the muffler.The `03 had no cat, so now it is open 4' from the turbo back. I am approaching 700km. and still have 1/4 tank left. It was hard pressed to get 500km. per tank before removal of the muffler.
While pulling a 28ft. fifth wheel and a 14ft. quad trailer behind I have gained about 2-3 MPG.
So yes, I do think removing the muffler made a differance and I wish I had done it earlier.
is your turck a standard or automatic??? I have a standard (6 speed) and on the highway i get close to 900km to a tank.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Auto with barely 90,000km.....Ya the more I think about it, I aint getting that great of mileage yet?

Top Bottom