donations

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, we are fast approaching Christmas and every year we donate to a good cause. Last year we donated money, xmas tree, lights and gifts to a dying mom with two kids. She managed to live thru the holidays but passed away early January. I have donated to the food bank as well but want to change it up this year. Any ideas?

luvwinter

Reaction score
Senior Secret Santa. There are a lot of elderly people in homes with no family feeling very lonely around xmas. You sign up, get paired with a senior and they tell you their name and what they enjoy as well as what they may need. My guy this year was named Romeo, he likes to enjoy the occasional movie, sweets and needed toiletries.

Seniors Secret Service

Looks like you can donate items as well so that they can create their own gift boxes.
Santa’s Wish List | Seniors Secret Service

Last edited:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome idea!! Tks! Will definitely look into this one.

Senior Secret Santa. There are a lot of elderly people in homes with no family feeling very lonely around xmas. You sign up, get paired with a senior and they tell you their name and what they enjoy as well as what they may need. My guy this year was named Romeo, he likes to enjoy the occasional movie, sweets and needed toiletries.

Seniors Secret Service

Looks like you can donate items as well so that they can create their own gift boxes.

luvwinter

Reaction score
awesome idea!! Tks! Will definitely look into this one.

Another option would be providing donations to an animal shelter or rescue society. So many of them are in need of food, cat litter, help with vet bills etc. :)

Either way you go, good on you for helping someone or something else this holiday season! :beer:

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually donate to the local SPCA a couple times a year, but I was just reading how hard the local food banks are getting hit this season so I'll be stopping by there as well.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
As much as I admire everyone for their wanting to help the needy, as far as I am concerned, the food bank is NOT where I will ever be sending my extra food or money. I work right next door to the local food bank, and it DISGUSTS me the people that use that place. Hardly "needy".

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually have an issue with our local food bank here as they seem so non-appreciative for the donation. Have donated 3 or 4 times over the years and it does not leave me with a good feeling. Not looking at someone to lick my boots but an acknowledgement would be great.

As much as I admire everyone for their wanting to help the needy, as far as I am concerned, the food bank is NOT where I will ever be sending my extra food or money. I work right next door to the local food bank, and it DISGUSTS me the people that use that place. Hardly "needy".

Reaction score

Seniors Secret Service

Maybe I'm a "sap".... I've certainly been called worse, but it seriously affects me to read that. I've been lonely on holidays and can relate.... but to be at the mercy of others AND be along over the holidays would kill me. :(

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt for a second that there's dick holes abusing the Food Bank's generosity, but that doesn't change the fact there's families out there who need the help all the same.

Our food bank has always been appreciative - sorry to hear others aren't so.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never heard of this one before. Will have to do some research. Tks for the tip!

I think the canadian foodgrains bank is a good charity to donate to.
The government matches donations 4 to 1 I believe and very little money goes to pay for overhead.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I found a family on kijiji last year..... single mom, working but low income with 2 teenage daughters who were aware of their mothers financial situation and did not expect squat.

For $150 I was able to build a small hamper with some personalized gifts for the kids under the moms advice then I added in a bunch of treats, such as specialty teas/coffee, chocolates, candy, gift cards etc.

Dropped it off at her local fire hall and they handled the pick-up.

If she was truthful, and I believe she was, it was greatly appreciated and she promised to pay it forward when/how she could. If not whatever, it was $150 and I like the idea of handing over presents as opposed to cash. I will likely do the same again this year but would really prefer to find a better way to locate those in need other than kijiji, too much potential abuse and I would prefer to help someone too proud to ask..... but therein lies the conundrum....

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CJAY 92 in Calgary used to do Secret Santa deals where one could phone in and suggest a family or individual in need who were too proud to ask for help during the holiday season.

I always liked that segment, you could hear the true gratitude in their voices when they found out they'd been selected.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cudos to all of you for your generosity and selflessness. Rare commodities these days. Great to see you supporting our less fortunate here and not jumping on the trendy bandwagon of Syrian refugees.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks!! just trying to put a smile for those in need during a great time of the year. Hope more people follow the example as it a great feeling / gesture. Just glad I am in a position to do so.

Cudos to all of you for your generosity and selflessness. Rare commodities these days. Great to see you supporting our less fortunate here and not jumping on the trendy bandwagon of Syrian refugees.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We alternate at the firehall. 1 year is Santa Anonymous and 1 year the local food bank.
This year was the food bank and we got 600.00 of food together from the firehall.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another great place to donate is the Ronald McDonald house. We lived at the Calgary one for 5 months. You can drop off gift cards that go directly to the families staying there. Your donation goes to people who aren't using the system for selfish reasons, just going through a rough spot with there families.

Top Bottom