Dogs in the box

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with dogs in the box in the winter, but i don't think there is anything wrong with them in the back in the summer, as long as they are tied in safely. I have more of an issue with the smaller dogs in the cabs, jumping around and sitting on the drivers lap gazing out the window. There's an accident waiting to happen.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy got pulled over for speeding. His little dog jumped on his lap to check out the officer when he came up to the window. 200 something ticket for a dog on his lap while operating a motor vehicle. Lol. I guess they need to be boxed up in the trick too.

Stupid lap dogs. Dogs are supposed to be big. Do their job. No they aren't human. .... but that's for another thread. ;)

Sent while wishing I was on my snowbike

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dogs are fine in the box, nothing wrong with that, most bigger dogs prefer it in the box, more room to move around and can see more of the surroundings, also I dont know about you but that would be the day I let a big dog in the cab of my $50,000 truck cutting up and scratching the leather, getting dirt and mud everywhere, and getting dog hair everywhere, drooling on $hit etc etc. However when its cold out on an average to below average winter day you should just leave the dog at home if you don't wanna let them in the cab, bigger dogs are good in the cold but the windchill coupled with not moving around at all can be very dangerous for the poor lil guy. There is a time and place for bringing dogs with you places but if you dont wanna let them in the cab(which is understandable) then leave them at home in the winter when its cold is my opinion, summer spring fall, have at it, nothing wrong with a pooch in the box of truck weather permitting

My thoughts exactly

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a harness for mine and tied off on both sides of the box, she can go from one side of the box to the other, but can't jump up to get her paws on the box rail. She's a farm dog, so the only time she goes for a ride is to go to the vet, inside the truck is definitely not an option, and she doesn't like be locked up in a kennel. May not be the best solution, but better than nothing in my opinion.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dog in the box in the right weather and tied in correctly is key. Heard too many stories of dogs jumping out or jumping out and hanging themselves on the leash. Woody's setup sounds ideal. I was following a truck this fall with two full size dogs in the box except it was an F150 with the pretend 5.5' box with a dry box. One dog was sitting on the dry box and the other was down below in the box. I had to back way off as I was sure the one on the dry box was going to fall off, dogs don't have much traction on aluminum at 100 km/h. Neither was tied in.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go to aussie-land, all dogs are in the box, very few are tied in. very few fall out. yes it does sometimes happen, but if the dog is raised that way they seem to have no probs even on the highway. I guess its a learned thing. but the canadain winter is a game changer.
I'm not saying its right, either way if you slam the breaks, it dont matter where the dog is its going flying. the little dogs on the center console will go thru the windscreen in a tail-ender.
I really hate seeing a female driver with a dog on her lap, how can she possibly control the car properly. it must be a major distraction, and restrict arm movement to say the least ...

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go to aussie-land, all dogs are in the box, very few are tied in. very few fall out. yes it does sometimes happen, but if the dog is raised that way they seem to have no probs even on the highway. I guess its a learned thing. but the canadain winter is a game changer.
I'm not saying its right, either way if you slam the breaks, it dont matter where the dog is its going flying. the little dogs on the center console will go thru the windscreen in a tail-ender.
I really hate seeing a female driver with a dog on her lap, how can she possibly control the car properly. it must be a major distraction, and restrict arm movement to say the least ...

That's a really good point Shadam. ...if you slam on the brakes, is there really much difference if the dog is roaming freely inside the vehicle or in the box?

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imagine going ditch bound and rolling your truck with a 70 lb dog (bowling ball) bouncing around in the cab? You'd be dead with your seat belt on. My dog is 160. Ouch.

Sent while wishing I was on my snowbike

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should be illegal! It is in other provinces.
Have to be in a topper or a kennel secured.
Loose animal in the back of the truck is unsecured cargo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Side Show

Reaction score
My dog's favorite thing in the world is to go for a ride in the back of the truck. Tied in, of course. This topic is a perfect example of people not being able to mind their own business. The only thing worse than living in our current nanny state is having other citizens telling is what to do...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dog's favorite thing in the world is to go for a ride in the back of the truck. Tied in, of course. This topic is a perfect example of people not being able to mind their own business. The only thing worse than living in our current nanny state is having other citizens telling is what to do...

Same here except hes not tied in. (Gasp!!!) I also took a couple beer sledding. Once.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Someone always have to pipe in with "Don't tell me what to do!" This isn't a law making forum and no one here's gonna make you do anything.
No doubt dogs love riding in the box. ...so do most kids though.

kokanee 800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
old bo, he wont ride in the box anymore flew out up in slave when he was young, had his paws up on the rail and sitting on a tool box was doing about 30km per hr around a corner.

Attachments

• IMG_00000207.jpg
    IMG_00000207.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 168

SummitRider2014

Reaction score
Dogs are fine in the box, nothing wrong with that, most bigger dogs prefer it in the box, more room to move around and can see more of the surroundings, also I dont know about you but that would be the day I let a big dog in the cab of my $50,000 truck cutting up and scratching the leather, getting dirt and mud everywhere, and getting dog hair everywhere, drooling on $hit etc etc. However when its cold out on an average to below average winter day you should just leave the dog at home if you don't wanna let them in the cab, bigger dogs are good in the cold but the windchill coupled with not moving around at all can be very dangerous for the poor lil guy. There is a time and place for bringing dogs with you places but if you dont wanna let them in the cab(which is understandable) then leave them at home in the winter when its cold is my opinion, summer spring fall, have at it, nothing wrong with a pooch in the box of truck weather permitting

Agree! That's what dog crates are for, not cabs of $60,000 trucks! (Weather permitting, -20 or colder he goes in the crate on the back seat)

Sent while I'm killing time at work

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in the city of red deer it is illegal to have a dog in the box of the truck anytime of year

BS. They just need to be secured so they can't jump or fall out. Same law as the rest of the province.

My one dog jumps in the back of my truck and sits in there if the tailgate is down even if we aren't going to go anywhere lol. He rides in the cab if its below 10c. In the box he just gets tied in by his collar and has just enough lead to get his head over the edge. I am going to throw a harness on him though from now on. Safer for him.

Last edited:

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a really good point Shadam. ...if you slam on the brakes, is there really much difference if the dog is roaming freely inside the vehicle or in the box?

sadest thing as a dog lover i've seen.... has happened a few times... vehicles in accident... dogs get hurt and scared... driver opens the door dog screws off scared and hurt... weeks later owners are still driving up and down the hwy looking for said dog... if you love your dog... create them... my dog is worth a lot too me... he's well trained and i trust him with my life... i don't take chances with his...after all im suppose to the the thinking end of the relationship
IMG_0952.jpg IMG_0952.jpg IMG_0952.jpg

Last edited:

chesapeake

Reaction score
Just had my five year old lab who was lame see the vet and had his front legs and shoulders x rayed. He has what is called jump down syndrome. He has arthritis in his right front elbow. This was probably caused by me letting him jump off the seat of the pickup to the ground or off the back of the quad to the ground. I can for alot of money have his elbow replaced just like a knee replacement for us but I think I will not do that. Just glucosomine and a basby aspirin for now.

Top Bottom