Does Boulder road closing impact sledding??

Reaction score
Boulder trails are not going anywhere! Don't believe the hype and no need to get worked up. Kirkup is already a Forest Service Road (with absolutely no intentions of being deactivated), and the roads that Stella-Jones is planning to retire will be taken over as Forest Service Roads to ensure all Boulder Snowmobile trails remain open. So you can get your mind off the access trails and start daydreaming about all this season's powder up top!!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boulder trails are not going anywhere! Don't believe the hype and no need to get worked up. Kirkup is already a Forest Service Road (with absolutely no intentions of being deactivated), and the roads that Stella-Jones is planning to retire will be taken over as Forest Service Roads to ensure all Boulder Snowmobile trails remain open. So you can get your mind off the access trails and start daydreaming about all this season's powder up top!!!
Good to hear and hope it stays that way

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Actually I received an email from Ron Laroy last night sent to snowmobile club members asking for help in an attempt to get the Bezanson and Veidamen trails reassigned from the responsibility of Stella-Jones to the Ministry of Forests. I'll copy and paste the text below.

From: Revelstoke Snowmobile Club [mailto:laroy@telus.net]
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2014 8:10 PM
To: Revelstoke Snowmobile Club
Subject: deactivated roads

Recently an open house was held by Stella-Jones, a logging company in Revelstoke regarding the deactivation of logging roads, some of which include snowmobile trails. Stella-Jones, being the last cutting permit holder of these roads in under the obligation of liability for the roads. This means they are responsible for the upkeep, maintaining or replacement of bridges, culverts and repairs to the roads. This can run into very large sums of money over years when no logging is taking place on these roads. If the roads are deactivated that responsibility is no longer theirs.

Deactivation of roads can mean many things, the roads can be put back to ‘natural slope’, bridges pulled, culverts dug up or large berms and ditches built to restrict access. While many feel that deactivation of snowmobile roads would not pose a problem, the deactivation in which pulling the road back to natural slope would in effect eliminate the road. Other forms of deactivation would restrict the club from maintaining these roads/trails during the summer months, brushing, checking for plugged culverts which could wipe out a section of the road.

If the roads were to be put under the Ministry of Forests ownership this would eliminate the need for deactivation. Stella-Jones does not want to deactivate these roads but cannot afford to maintain them when no revenue is coming from them. To that end a comment form (attached) has been made available to the public for comments stating what the public users would like to see happen. The club has approached the Ministry of Forests with concern over two of the roads scheduled to be deactivated. Veideman and Bezanson trails on Boulder fall under the ‘ownership’ of Stella-Jones. The club has urged MoF (Ministry of Forests) to take over these roads and put them under MoF status. This means the MoF would then be responsible for the maintaining of these roads and our trails would be saved. In talks with MoF it looks as if this will happen but to make sure we are urging our members to fill out a comment form with their concerns, return them to us and we in turn will make sure Stella-Jones gets them to forward to MoF. We ask that comments be polite yet stress your concerns over the possible loss of two of the three snowmobile trails on Boulder. One roads that was set to be deactivated was the road to McCrae, MoF has stepped in and taken over that road, so access to that popular areas is secured, we just need to get the others under that protection.

There are many other types of users on these roads in the summer and we feel that will encourage MoF to consider the request to resume ownership of the road system on Boulder but it never hurts to have a lot of comments that can be forwarded on. You can email them to : laroy@telus.net or send them by mail to the clubs address: Revelstoke Snowmobile Club, Box 1849, Revelstoke, BC V0E 2S0.

Any questions please contact Ron (250 837-4708) laroy@telus.net for answers.

Unfortunately I can't add the comment document from my phone but I will try to add it at some point today.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Thanks Chris, I am also unable to attach the comment sheet.
Please state this is a reply to the Stella Jones Deactivation Open House held at the Revelstoke Community Centre Sept. 24. Your name and affiliation. Activity of interest Hiking, Biking, Quad, Sled or General Access. Area of concern McCrae, Sproat, Boulder, Frisby, S. Begbie.
Thanks for your time

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the a link to the word document. As stated in Ron's email above if you can fill it out and email or mail it back to Ron at the Snowmobile Club it will go a long way to getting these roads reassigned to the MoF so that we can continue to access these trails for years to come.

Anyone that says that Boulder doesn't need 3 trails only needs to make a trip up one of the trails between Christmas and New Years at around 11:00am to understand why they do. All three trails are completely pounded by the sheer number of sledders accessing the area.

Reaction score
MoF is taking over the Boulder Mtn roads regardless of any letters sent..but if it makes you feel better than write a letter...but the request for snowmobile club members to send these letters is overkill at this point..perhaps not all of Stella-Jones roads will be converted to FSR's, but I think you can feel safe that there will still be multiple access routes up Boulder.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ron Laroy is a well respected member of the club and pioneer in the area. If he wants letters written to make it happen then I think we should follow the clubs wishes. Better safe than sorry IMO.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This has happened to 2 spots I ride in golden... WRITE the LETTER if people are looking for them. In the case of the two areas I ride in golden they removed bridges and restored slope back completely making it impassible with out a lot of shovelling... If this where to happen in a few select areas of boulder, it would be trouble.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club meeting on Monday night and Ron had said that he has only receive back 3 of the comment cards from members, and my girlfriend and I are two of them! I know a lot of you guys are going to be the first to bitch when something happens that these trails are in accessible or more difficult and costly to maintain because they have been deactivated so do your part and fill out the form!

I have set up the comment sheet on Survey Monkey so you can just quickly add your comments and submit them. Please click the link below, it will only take 2 minutes of your time....

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2GCKH8G

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club meeting on Monday night and Ron had said that he has only receive back 3 of the comment cards from members, and my girlfriend and I are two of them! I know a lot of you guys are going to be the first to bitch when something happens that these trails are in accessible or more difficult and costly to maintain because they have been deactivated so do your part and fill out the form!

I have set up the comment sheet on Survey Monkey so you can just quickly add your comments and submit them. Please click the link below, it will only take 2 minutes of your time....

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2GCKH8G

Done, it did literally only take 2mins. Thanks!:beer:

Last edited:

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Done.

The original link didn't work for me but this one did.

Top Bottom