Does anybody use a Garmin Montana 600 for sledding?

gimmepowder

Reaction score
Just looking for any feedback from anybody who may be using a Garmin Montana for sledding. I'm considering purchasing a Montana (probably a 600 since I don't need/want the built-in camera) for sledding. However, I'm a little concerned about how well the touch screen will function in the cold. I'm also not sure if the touch screen can be operated with my gloves on? My first thought was probably not, but my preliminary research seems to indicate that the Garmin Montana can in fact be operated with gloves on.

I was also considering the Garmin GPS Map 62s, but unfortunately that model utilizes a USB connection for power and I've read plenty of negative comments regarding the durability/suitability of USB power connections for high vibration applications such as snowmobiles and motorcycles. Since I'll be powering the GPS via 12V from my sled, this is a deal breaker. It seems the older Garmin GPS units used to use a more robust external power connection, but most of the new ones utilize a USB connector for external power. It appears that the Montana can use the Garmin AMPS mount for power instead of the crappy USB connection.

So what's the consensus? Is the Montana 600 suitable for use while sledding without having to remove your gloves?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just bought a Montana 650. Works great. Still need to figure some stuff out but I have no issues. Large screen easy to see even in daylight. Dont think they make a 600 anymore. get the 650 with the camera.

gimmepowder

Reaction score
I just bought a Montana 650. Works great. Still need to figure some stuff out but I have no issues. Large screen easy to see even in daylight. Dont think they make a 600 anymore. get the 650 with the camera.

Thanks for the info. Are you powering your Montana via batteries or external 12V power from your sled? If you're using external power, do you foresee any durability or reliability issues with the Garmin AMPS powered mount?

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mounted the Montana 600 to my summit sled
I used the Montana Amp mount and a ram flex mount that is bolted to the handle bars just under the padding
It allows adjustment and if you realy hit it hard it will move out of teh way as apposed to breaking the mount or Montana
Connect right off the battery with the inline fuse for constant power
If you connect to the fused circuit above the batteries it cycles off everytime you use your electric start.
Cold will bother the touch screen but when it is always charging I think it keeps it warmer
I have no complaints with the touch screen even with gloves on

Large screen is super easy for us older guys to focus and see the screen maqs/tracks

I also have the same Amps mounts and 12volt connection in my truck and on my Outlander 650 quad.

It is so easy to transfer the GPS from one to the other and then to the lap top computer

Will get you some pictures and which ram mount I used

gimmepowder

Reaction score
I mounted the Montana 600 to my summit sled
I used the Montana Amp mount and a ram flex mount that is bolted to the handle bars just under the padding
It allows adjustment and if you realy hit it hard it will move out of teh way as apposed to breaking the mount or Montana
Connect right off the battery with the inline fuse for constant power
If you connect to the fused circuit above the batteries it cycles off everytime you use your electric start.
Cold will bother the touch screen but when it is always charging I think it keeps it warmer
I have no complaints with the touch screen even with gloves on

Large screen is super easy for us older guys to focus and see the screen maqs/tracks

I also have the same Amps mounts and 12volt connection in my truck and on my Outlander 650 quad.

It is so easy to transfer the GPS from one to the other and then to the lap top computer

Will get you some pictures and which ram mount I used

Thanks. Photos would be great. A Ram mount (or similar) which offers some flexibility and which can be mounted to my riser is exactly what I had in mind. I don't want anything too rigid since I'd rather have the mount flex instead of break in case I hit something or roll the sled to get unstuck.

Whitecourt_Rider

Reaction score
Pics would be awesome!! Is there any other way to power it off the sled if you have no battery? Mine Montana is being shipped!! What maps you guys go with?

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally go the sled out - so took some pictures of the Garmin / ram mount system

Used the Ram mount Kit ZUMO 010-10962-00 to the handle bars then
bolts the Garmin AMPS rugged mount to the ram mount
Then connected the Garmin power leads to the full time power side of the starter relay and ground

Works great - love it - large screen - out of the way - yet visible when you need to see something - does not interfer with the mountain strap either

Attachments

• 2012-12-02_TCSC_TM__6web.jpg
    2012-12-02_TCSC_TM__6web.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 326
  • 2012-12-02_TCSC_TM__7web.jpg
    2012-12-02_TCSC_TM__7web.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 306
  • 2012-12-02_TCSC_TM__8web.jpg
    2012-12-02_TCSC_TM__8web.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 313

gimmepowder

Reaction score
I also used a Ram mount for my installation, but I mounted my GPS on the other side of the riser block. I'm out of town working for another couple of weeks, but I'll post photos of my Garmin and Ram mount when I get home.

If your sled doesn't have a battery, you can use accessory power. Obviously, you won't have power to charge the GPS if the engine isn't running. Most sleds have a spare connector either under the hood or behind the gauges. Also, you can use a bypass fuse holder fuse+doubler.jpg
to create an extra circuit where you have an existing fuse holder. You pull the existing fuse, plug in the bypass fuse holder, insert the original fuse into the first space on the bypass fuse holder, then insert a new fuse in the second space to power the new circuit that you want to create. Splice the power lead from the GPS to the wire lead on the bypass fuse holder.

I'm using the Garmin Topo Canada maps.

gimmepowder

Reaction score
I finally managed to grab a few photos of my GPS mount. My installation consists of the following:
The round mounting base on the RAM mount can be rotated to line up with the four mounting holes in the Garmin AMPS rugged mount. It probably isn't visible in the photos, but I fabricated an aluminum backing plate (painted black) that is located inside the factory riser block. This allowed me to bolt the diamond shaped mounting base on the RAM mount to the backing plate through the existing factory cutouts in the riser block without having to drill any holes. I cut two pieces of rubber from a bicycle tire tube to act as a cushion between the RAM mount and riser block and the riser block and backing plate. Basically a sandwich configuration: RAM mount, rubber, riser block, rubber, backing plate. I find that the GPS is nicely protected since it sits slightly lower than the handlebars and it doesn't get in the way when riding.
Montana_small.JPG
AMPS.JPG
IMG_1526_small.JPG
IMG_1530_small.JPG

YamaDooPolCat

Reaction score
I bought the Garmin 650T and the BRP mount system.
Now I still need to learn how to use the Garmin 650T.
I have archived trails on the Garmin, but can't seem to figure out how to get any of those trails on the screen while I am in the area.
How do I set the GPS up to use an old trail?
I want to have the pointer pointing up, so that I know where I am in relation to the old trail.
And I want the pointer to stay in the middle of the screen, and the map to move and rotate when the sled moves.
So how?

Attachments

• PC105682 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    PC105682 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 253

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A really annoying thing about the newer Garmins is that you have to go to your track manager and make all your tracks "show on map". You can't just load them on and have them all on the map like the old ones.
Then every now and then they stop showing on your map and you have to re-activate them. That's probably why your old trails aren't showing up yet.

How is the glove box extender gps mount working out for you? I may get one.

Last edited:

m1000db

Reaction score
I don't have a picture of my Montana 650 mounted, but I installed a plug (normally for helmet) on my 2012 pro RMK and plug my AMPs rugged mount in. I used a Ram mount with the motor cycle Rail mount, which is a u-bolt used to clamp the 1" ball onto the handle bar. Works great, have rolled it over with the GPS attached and no issues.. it is out of the way, yet easy to see and control.. I am very impressed with the fact that the touch screen works with my gloves on..

m1000db

Reaction score
I don't have a picture of my Montana 650 mounted, but I installed a plug (normally for helmet) on my 2012 pro RMK and plug my AMPs rugged mount in. I used a Ram mount with the motor cycle Rail mount, which is a u-bolt used to clamp the 1" ball onto the handle bar. Works great, have rolled it over with the GPS attached and no issues.. it is out of the way, yet easy to see and control.. I am very impressed with the fact that the touch screen works with my gloves on..
Also running the Alberta / BC back roads map which is great for exploring because of the Back roads map is also a great topo map..

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally go the sled out - so took some pictures of the Garmin / ram mount system

Used the Ram mount Kit ZUMO 010-10962-00 to the handle bars then
bolts the Garmin AMPS rugged mount to the ram mount
Then connected the Garmin power leads to the full time power side of the starter relay and ground

Works great - love it - large screen - out of the way - yet visible when you need to see something - does not interfer with the mountain strap either

Out of the way? Have you smashed your chest into the handle bars yet? If so how did the gps and mount fair?

I have the Nuvi 550 on order, the group I sled with there is 3 others that use the this unit. We all transfer files back and fourth with ease. However the mounting point is no where near the handle bars as it restricts the use of a riser bag and prone to the body hitting it (it is mounting in the fashion portrayed in the above pics) Accuracy of the gps is very good as with the screen and bread crumb trail it is a lot easier and safer heading back to the truck if crappy weather blows in.

Another concern is with all the pictures I have seen on the thread, no one has a teather line from the GPS to the sled. Is this experience keeping the unit free from the sled or just a design miss. It is not uncommon for my sled to be upside down and rolled in the deep snow. How solid is the mount???

Seriously going to inquire into the dash mount from BRP and which gps units it accepts.

River Ratt

Reaction score
Glad to hear they are working OK, I bought a brand new 650 and it was faulty from the factory. as soon as I started driving the sled the unit would shut down. any vibration and it would power down. So they are sending me a new one. I have used the marine models, 276C, 376C, and 478 for years, they have a way clearer screen, buttons work better than the touch screen. Sadly they don't make this style anymore.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear they are working OK, I bought a brand new 650 and it was faulty from the factory. as soon as I started driving the sled the unit would shut down. any vibration and it would power down. So they are sending me a new one. I have used the marine models, 276C, 376C, and 478 for years, they have a way clearer screen, buttons work better than the touch screen. Sadly they don't make this style anymore.

I have a old marine one if interested. In spruce view lots.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its mint. Has tracks for lac la ronge still on it I bet

Top Bottom