dodge electrical problem

AC550

Reaction score
ok so i am in need of a new TIPM(total intergrated power module) for my 06 dodge ram 1500 does anyone may know where i might be able to get one other than the dealer or is the dealer the only option for this type of part because i really dont want to pay a dealer price if i dont have to

AC550

Reaction score
because my passenger lowbeam headlight keeps going out and i traced the wire a checked it with a voltmeter and its still good but i am only getting 5volts on it but on the drivers side i am getting 12 volts and i still have daytimers and brights and i scaned it and came to the conclusion that the tipm needs to replaced and after talking to a few people including a licensed mechanic he says it the tipm so thats how i know it needs to be replaced

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah your right its the Power Module i have chitty electrical problems on my 06 3500 cummings but their random and i can deal with them for now to save the $700 replacement cost. sorry i dont know where to get another other then the dealers im hoping to find one at pick your part oneday or something but its unlikely as they all suck!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
It is a common problem, and usually one of the headlites keeps going and usually one tail lite as well....... They have come down substantially in the last year in price, and think the last one we did was around the $300 mark if i remember correctly.

AC550

Reaction score
where did you get one for $300 because i just priced one out and the the cheapest one i could find is $797.00 any help would be appreciated

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to hijack your thread, but does this TIPM issue affect the signal lights,signal left and the right signal flashes, doesn't happen all the time, but sure annoying, my truck is a 2007 2500

AC550

Reaction score
good question the same happens to me sometimes and what i have heard and found out is that the signal light problem is actually in the steering colume and not affected by the tipm and its also another expensive part

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to hijack your thread, but does this TIPM issue affect the signal lights,signal left and the right signal flashes, doesn't happen all the time, but sure annoying, my truck is a 2007 2500

Yeah mine does this randomly sometimes too but not often.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's the contacts in the lever,.. when it happens to me I just flip the lever back and forth a few times and it quits for a couple months,.. crossing fingers, last time it happened was in the summer. Been trouble free since, but my luck it will start happening again,.. haha.

In Your Neck

Reaction score
Website
www.destroyerlacrosse.com
I have had a couple electrical jobs come up this year and I took them to Emortal Custums Electric in Calgary. I had my camaro car hauled to these guys and they wired up my daytime running lights no problem. I didnt even go to their shop as they had one of there towe truck drivers bring it back to me in Airdrie for a great price. This was all done in the winter hence the use of flat deck towe trucks. Its a 2010 camaro from the states and CMP couldn't do the job.
The other was my dodge truck, the heater fan was coming in and out and I figured it was the ignition switch and a window problem too. I took it to these guys again, they troublehot it using printed out wiring schmatics and phoned me before they didnt any work for my approval. Fixed and done. They gave me the print outs to and the parts werent to bad.

I would give them a try if needed...

403-369-3878
2808 Ogden Road, SE
Calgary

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you check the dodge truck forums. these are very common issues with the 2006 - up Rams with the hemi but some cummins too. The biggest issue they have had is guys plugging in a trailer with a short somewhere and in turn shorting out the TIPM The TIPM Amperage allowance before tripping was set was to low and you can have it bumped up at the dealer via programming on the star scan. The tipm will reset X amount of times and then after that you have to buy a new module. Instead of a 50 cent fuse its a 800 computer board. (think about slapping your laptop under the hood of your truck and seeing how it survives)
If you can find a TIPM off of a wrecked truck that matches your Serial number ( pull tipm out and its on the bottom in large font) It should work if its matching if not certain option may not work.

I went to Brandon MB with the gf to her Horse show jumping event with my 06 HEMI last year. On the way back we hit a bad snow storm that left us doing 50 km/h on the hwy's thru MB with snow piled up almost a foot. The truck is a laramie and has the electronic transfer case, well when we got back the truck would not shift out of 4x4 (light would just blink). Off to the dealer we go for warranty. 90k on the truck. Well dealer said it was the shift motor in the t-case that was fried and that the TIPM is fried in well in that circuit that control the 4x4 ( burnt spot on the circuit board. $1200 to fix the truck. Dealer denied warranty claiming it was an electrical problem and thats not included on my warranty. Still haven't fixed it and its stuck in 2wd now. Rick if you can fix the TIPM for 300 bucks ill gladly bring her by lol.

Last edited:

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The TIPM from 06 - on RAMs as well as other dodge products were controlled by a Tipm. from headlights to heated seats to transfer cases are controlled by them.

• Thanks
Reactions: win

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The TIPM in the Dodge vehicle is the central hub of all comunication and opperation.Everything comunicates through the
TIPM and almost all commands are carried out thus by it.The TIPM is one of the TWO controllers that carries the vehicle configuration data,the other is the CCN(cabin compartment node) or other wise know as the instrument cluster.The TIPM
has been a common failure item for several lighting,4x4 issues and comunication issues.
Now here comes some interesting (not commonly know) stuff.....When either the TIPM or CCN are replaced,they are unprogramed except for one function,when the key is turned to the run position after replacment,they look for eachother to
find the vehicle configuration and pull that information so they then know what vehicle they are.If you start swapping parts off other vehicles,they can sometimes change your vehicle configuration to that of the used vehicles that you got the part from.I have seen it done several times in our shop.When this happens,that can sometimes render the vehicle UN DRIVABLE as the Original vin and the New vin do not match.This will trigger the vehicle theft security system(vtss) to lock out any attempts to start the vehicle.This is bad because if the wrong configuration is broadcast over the comunication buss,you will lock out the powertrain control module(pcm) as well...Know your buying three controllers.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hotline Archive With diagrams, specifications, and parts and labor

Number: 392377
Vehicle Application:
2006 Ram 1500 5.7
Customer Concern: Driver's side low beam is not working. It had a bad bulb and replaced it. New bulb has no power to it.

Average Reported Mileage: 46000
Tests/Procedures: 1. Use a compatible scan tool and check fault codes in the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). Clear any fault codes that are in there. Start the vehicle and operate the headlights and check if any codes return. If the headlights now work and no fault codes return, no further action is needed.

2. If any codes return further diagnosis will be needed on the affected circuit.

Author: Greg Montero

Technician Biography
arrow_down_blacks.gif

Greg Montero Greg began his automotive career in 1990. His experience includes working as a technician at an independent repair shop as well as some GM, Jeep/Eagle dealership experience. He also has Service Manager experience at an independent repair shop. He is on the St.Paul Technical College advisory board, and is involved the AASP MN, serving on the Training and Education committee. He is certified ASE Master and L1 and has recently completed his AAM (Accredited Automotive Manager) certificate from the Automotive Management Institute. Greg volunteers on the audio-tech team at his church and enjoys spending time with his wife and two sons.

Potential Causes
With diagrams, specifications, and parts and labor

Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)

Confirmed Fix Summary
With diagrams, specifications, and parts and labor

Confirmed Fix4 - Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)

1 - Plow Lights

1 - Headlight Bulb, Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)

1 - Headlight Connector

1 - Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) Connector

Confirmed Fix Details
Tech Reported Fix Details
Confirmed Fix
Brian Wendt
April 27, 2011

2007 Dodge Ram 1500, Slt 5.7L, GAS, Vin 2, Eng Des EZB *
Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)- reset codes in TIPM
DJMPTECH2
March 05, 2011

2007 Dodge Ram 1500, Slt 5.7L, GAS, Vin D *
Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)- -Left High beam only, fog lamps ok,no low beam or right high beam operation , Happened when aftermarket HID system was removed. Checked Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) for active codes (long list of headlamp codes) Performed TIPM code clearing procedure, head lamps work correctly now
Keith Cleary
February 10, 2010

2007 Dodge Ram 1500, ST 5.7L, GAS, Vin 2, Eng Cfg V8, Eng Des EZB *
Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)- no headlights - radio - big list of dtc. no power to lights. Good ground at lights. Clear all codes. FIXED Note all things happened after customer hooked up his PLOW
Kevin Nix
November 19, 2009

2007 Dodge Ram 1500, Slt 5.7L, GAS, Vin 2, Eng Des EZB *
Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)- Cleared fault codes - lights now working.
Chris Greenlees
November 15, 2010

2006 Dodge Ram 1500, Slt 5.7L, GAS, Vin D
Headlight Bulb
Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)- replace headlight ...then clear codes and the light now works!!
Headlight Bulb, Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM)
Gary Ollen
March 24, 2010

2006 Dodge Ram 1500, ST 5.7L, GAS, Vin 2, Eng Cfg V8, Eng Des EZB *
Headlight Connector- Lh headlamp bulb connector retainer broken, needed connector. Had to clear codes to make headlamp operate once repair was completed
Headlight Connector
Dan Dyke
April 23, 2010

2006 Dodge Ram 1500, Slt 5.7L, GAS, Vin D
Plow Lights- has plow wiring on it which caused code to be set for headlights, plow was removed and codes were cleared lights work good now
Plow Lights
Apitz 001
January 14, 2010

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, Slt 5.7L, GAS, Vin D, Eng Cfg V8 *
Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) Connector- right head light not working no power from TIPM has plow wiring on truck found connector on right headlamp low beam not seated causing code in tipm cleared code did not come back all works

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Pricewise, they "retail" from $490 to $990 and there are 4 different ones available, depending on the serial # of the vehicle..........

We did a 2500 last week and it was only $368 for the tipm

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other things to keep in mind,the TIPM is the Dominent Node of the vehicle.If a TIPM from another vehicle is plugged in with a diffderent vin,the other modules will look at that vin and take that vin is in the dominent...big brother if you will.So swapping parts are in the past.Don't do it.
As for having 5v on the control side,that is a reference voltage that the TIPM has on that circuit and is always present.This is the TIPM's way of monitoring that circuit for shorts to power,shorts to ground or opens.There will be 5v until the the command to turn the headlamps on,then it will change to system voltage.Another thing to consider also,on some models,You will have to change the burnt out bulb,then clear the code in the TIPM before it will function properly.Disconnecting the battery will clear the codes.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pricewise, they "retail" from $490 to $990 and there are 4 different ones available, depending on the serial # of the vehicle..........

We did a 2500 last week and it was only $368 for the tipm

Would i be able to PM you the serial number and get a price quote on the TIPM ? thanks

Top Bottom