dodge diesel turbo chirp

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering id someone could oofer some advice. 2005 dodge diesel runs good still has power however when I stomp on it or underload boost at around 12psi the turbo starts to chirp a little it no longer sounds like a nice wind up whistle. If I just eaze into it and keep the boost down it sounds normal. Now after a little research it says that this could be caused by a bad exhaust manifold gasket. After looking it under the hood I can see signs of carbon on the side of the block in a couple of places, Just looking for some opinions of whether or not this would be a good placeto start ot if this is a waste of time

Thanks

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
loose head bolts my friend.

If you see signs of carbon on the block then yes change the gasket because thats just general maintenance and they the manifold shouldnt leak at all. maybe throw on a performance manifold while your there too!

check the manifold and as magnet say check your head bolts.. if your already there why not throw in a set of arp studs? :d:beer:

Not sure if this would be your issue but check all your turbo piping/connections.

smokindiesel

Reaction score
A chirp at 12 PSI could be a few things. But not a loose head bolt. If boost PSI was coming out through a head bolt your head gasket would be so bad that you couldn't drive the thing lol. Not that upgradeing to ARP studs is a bad idea, it just won't fix your problem. The carbon your seeing is probably soot and if your exhaust manifold is leaking soot you should change them. Buy them from cummins, they will be alot cheaper than dodge, don't forget to change the manifold to turbo gasket too. Now it that doesn't fix your problem its probablem in the air ducting or inside your turbo. To check out a turbo, pull the intake tube off the turbo and grab the turbo shaft and check it for play, up and down is okay as long as its not excessive and allowing the compressor wheel to hit the houseing, in and out should be non existant if you have in and out play get a new turbo, ugradeing is a good thing here lol. To check your air ducting there are two things you do, the easyest being check all clamps and hoses. Run your hand on the hoses thouroghtly . The hoses on the intercooler are famous for being cut by the inner fender on 2002 and older dodges. Check the intake elbow on top the engine for loose bolts, and check the plate the elbow bolts into, it has quite a few bolts too. Tighten all the clamps by hand so you don't get tricked by one that feels tight but is slightly loose. Now the other method is too pull the pressure hose off the turbo and make an adaptor so you can aplly shop air to the pressure tubes and listen for leaks in them and the intercooler. This should help you find the issue

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys. Turns out just needed to replace the exhaust manifold gasket and all is good again.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help guys. Turns out just needed to replace the exhaust manifold gasket and all is good again.

right on man.. glad to hear it was a simple fix.. i hope that was the extent of your problems. :beer::d

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A chirp at 12 PSI could be a few things. ..... But

Holy s$it, if i ever have problems, i'm calling this guy. sounds like he has seen it all,..... twice.

This is what these forums are for, great post

Dean

smokindiesel

Reaction score
LOL I work on diesel trucks(pickups) for a liveing, so I have seen alot of stuff. Always like to help other people out anyway I can.

Top Bottom