Dodge diesel 5.9l or the 6.7l

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be honest with you if you dont tow regularly, (you didnt mention about hauling) why do you need a diesel.............for the milage how about the $150 oil change or how about the $8000 price difference. Running down the highway i put 500km on 86L and 400km and 86L with 6000lb trailer in religously on my 07 chev 6.0L, Buddy runs 05 duramax with intake, programmer, and exhaust and puts 600km on 80L and 500 km on 80L with same trailer weight. As far as power i can do a burn out if i romp on it in tow haul (dam electronic throttle). Diesels dont like short runs and city driving they are designed to make long runs and work. If you want milage and a truck buy an f150, if you want milage buy a car. But to answer your question the 5.9 is tried and true with no dpf to deal with as in the 6.7.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Meh, most people don't need a diesel, it's mostly a want. I mean in just over 2 years i've only put 33,000km on my diesel. $120 for a oil change, but that's synthetic, and good for 10,000km(and that's conservative), a gas would cost me $25 every 3 months, so pretty much a wash. All my gasses got about 400km to 80L, while my diesel is 800km to about 120L. I bought one for many reasons, because I wanted it, funner to drive :d, don't have to worry about regearing with my bigger tires, and they last forever. I agree it's not feasable for many, but I will still have this truck in 10 years, so the inital investment doesn't bother me. Yea I could of bought a brand new half ton for what I payed for my diesel that was 3 years old, but I am MUCH happier this way. Not that I plan to, but it's value hasen't dropped that bad either :beer:

All in all, this is my 2nd diesel, i've had 4 gas jobs and by far enjoyed the diesel more. The only thing I hate is warming it up in the winter for short trips, because it turns a TON of diesel. I mean a gasser could haul/tow anything I need, but o well.

I will never trade my diesel for a gasser again :beer:

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting back on topic. I have an 08 Mega Cab with the 6.7. I put a Superchips programmer into it and it will haul butt empty or pulling 15,000 lbs. I get twice the mileage my F450 with the 6.4 got.

The only thing I don't like about it is the DPF. I do like that you can stand beside the exhaust pipe and not smell the stinky and burn your eyes out diesel fumes. However last winter when it was -40 and I had the truck idling for a couple days the DPF got plugged up. I was told I had to get the truck running down the road for about 45 minutes to burn out the particulates and if you didn't get them burned out in time the engine might shut down and you would then have to tow it to a dealer to get it going again.:rant: This is totally ridiculous. I'd be pretty pissed if I was out ice fishing and everyone else left for the day and my engine shut down. No cell phone service. Yikes.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting back on topic. I have an 08 Mega Cab with the 6.7. I put a Superchips programmer into it and it will haul butt empty or pulling 15,000 lbs. I get twice the mileage my F450 with the 6.4 got.

The only thing I don't like about it is the DPF. I do like that you can stand beside the exhaust pipe and not smell the stinky and burn your eyes out diesel fumes. However last winter when it was -40 and I had the truck idling for a couple days the DPF got plugged up. I was told I had to get the truck running down the road for about 45 minutes to burn out the particulates and if you didn't get them burned out in time the engine might shut down and you would then have to tow it to a dealer to get it going again.:rant: This is totally ridiculous. I'd be pretty pissed if I was out ice fishing and everyone else left for the day and my engine shut down. No cell phone service. Yikes.

The truck will run if it's clogged, it just won't get over about 20km/h if it's that bad. A good way to clean it out is to shift it down so your running about 3k rpm's, and even if in the city it will clean it out. Yea it really sucks, my dads clogs all the time, if he didn't tow pretty much everyday it would get bad. I idle my 5.9 10x a much, not a lick of trouble, and won't ever. He doesn't care what the dealer says, he leaves it run when he wants. It's gotten so bad we won't trust it on the highway, pretty sad. I don't notice a fumes difference between the two, but I live and bleed diesels, the fumes don't bother me at all. As long as you've got high idle, you should be able to idle a REAL diesel 24/7 without issues.

If I was ever left stranded and cold with a 6.7, I would burn it for warmth, win win situation :d

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the few times that you pull a toy hauler to the hills.... do yourself a favor and stick with a gasser.... unless you plan to hold on to your truck for 300,000 km, which prolly 95% of the owners never do, or tow all the time. After the cost premium of the motor, the costs of maintenance, lousy winters and cold starts, noise, smell, etc..
Plus you never should buy a diesel for the fuel mileage. buck for buck, you break even at 250,000 miles.

just My .02$

When I do haul a trailer she is usually heavy. Homemade enclosed snowmobile trailer made of metal not aluminum. My dead truck i have now has 350km on it, so I keep em til they are dead. I want the pulling power when needed and better gas mileage. My ram 1500 takes about 90 litres and gives me 400 to 450 km. Plus the wifey wants a holiday trailer. So for this truck diesel it is.:d

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok then i guess the next question is do you want new with all the bells and whistles or used with some character. Personally I like the 6.7 its quieter and seems to be holding up quite well, they all have lemons. The dpf is minor dealers are removing the and covering powertrain warranty. Remember aint no replacement for displacement

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta go used. Momma is already cranky about buying a truck so she would be really CRANKY if it were new. Have looked at a couple 06 with 150 km and fully loaded but they want 35+. So now starting to watch Ebay a lot more and am considering hitting a couple auctions to see where they should be at. It has to be a Dodge Ram 2500 or 3500. Mega cab is a must, automatic and wanting the five seater not the six. Would really like leather, but couldn't care less about sunroof or dvd. So all in all 06 or newer 5.9 or 6.7 don't matter much from what I read they both have there issues. But please keep the comments coming and if anybody knows of one for sale please let me know. :d

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My truck isn't really for sale but if the price is right I would sell it, but I do have a 39' toy hauler for sale with a 12' garage if your interested. I know you don't really want a dually but maybe the trailer is what your looking for.

Top Bottom