Dodge Death Wobble

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know an effective fix for the 'Dodge Death Wobble'?I have a 04 2500 4x4 hemi that apparently has it!It is stock except for some more aggressive lug tires,the tires were on there for close to 20 000km and they are wearing normal and I put new shocks,ball joints ,heavier stabilizer shock on when it first happened and it still does it!!Everything is tight on it but the wobble suddenly showed up day,I had the truck for a couple of years(bought it used) and it never gave me any grief until I hit a bump with my sled in the back!Then it damn near shook off the road and it has been doing it ever since!No one can give me a straight answer on what to fix and all the shops around here are over a $100 an hour so I don't want to throw a whole bunch of money away on any 'fixes' unless they work!!Any help would be great!!!:confused:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
There are several threads already on this.........

-ball joints & tie-rods must be tight
-there is an updated steering system(tie-rods, drag link etc) that works good
-proper wheel alignment with updated steering angles
-either heavy duty steering damper or dual damper assemblies
-recomend front frame connector to steering box ..... Bd diesel makes the best kit

problem will be solved

look for the other threads on the death wobble

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
You would know better than me, but the recall states it is for 2003-2008 2500 and 3500 models.

To be recalled are 2008-2011 Ram 2500 and 3500 4x4 models; 2008-2011 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis 4x2 models; 2008 Ram 1500 Mega Cab 4x4 models; and 2003-2008 Ram 2500 and 3500 models, according to a filing with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
you would know better than me, but the recall states it is for 2003-2008 2500 and 3500 models.

to be recalled are 2008-2011 ram 2500 and 3500 4x4 models; 2008-2011 ram 3500 cab chassis 4x2 models; 2008 ram 1500 mega cab 4x4 models; and 2003-2008 ram 2500 and 3500 models, according to a filing with the national highway traffic safety administration.

interesting...... This appears to be the american recall...... The recent canadian recall that was posted was mostly for newer hd's, and some 1500's, and it was for 1 steering component that had the possiblity of breaking during extreme sharp turn, slow speeds or stationaty................ Not death wobble related

srxdude

Reaction score
I have had a bad wooble in GM. Everthing checked and replaced as needed. Still a wooble. Took a look for my self last night and found inside the brake rotor that is next to the hub had dirt compressed in one spot. You could turn the tires with a socket and extension beside it and see the tire move away a good 1/4 inch. Anyway cleaned everything up and no more problem. Just something to check out . No shop seems to have the know how for the simple things.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the recall did not fix the wobbel ! I have the recall, I still bought the Dodge upgrade kit, with Carli stabalizer.

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think this is anything new to Dodge. I had a '77 short box stepside that did the same thing. Usually if there was mud on the tire. It would set up such a violent bucking and heaving like I had a 4 ft very oval tire. I would have to stop the truck and then it would drive fine. As a side note I pulled wrenches for 7 yrs at a dodge store and was the 2nd guy for frt end and the alignment rack and never came across this condition. (I left the dodge store in '98)

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
All these ideas are good....... Please refer to my post, as all of these have duplicated what i suggested..... To save money on trac bars, the bushings can be replaced at a fraction of the cost, and they are the hd neoprene special bushings. We have repaired many of the dodges with the "death wobble" including my old 2006 3500 megacab 4x4...........

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
NUMBER: 22-005-06
GROUP: Tire &
DATE: October 07, 2006
SUBJECT:
Front End Shimmy On 4x4 Vehicles When Traveling Over Rough Surfaces In The Road OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves verifying the condition of the vehicle front suspension and steering components, and adjusting the front tire pressure. MODELS:

2003 - 2007 (DR/DH/D1/DC) Ram Truck (2500/3500)NOTE : This bulletin applies to four wheel drive (4x4) 2500 and 3500 model vehicles. SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a self sustaining vibration (shimmy) felt in the front end of the vehicle after striking a bump or pothole.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer experiences the above condition perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1.Raise the vehicle on an alignment rack (drive-on lift).
2.Verify the road are correctly sized and the tire tread is not excessively worn. Replace any worn tire before proceeding. Any new or old replacement tire should be equal to the original tires that came with the vehicle when it was new. Tire wear is not covered by the vehicle warranty.

3.Set the tire pressure for the FRONT to the following specification, regardless of the load being carried by the vehicle.

4.Set the tire pressure for the REAR as recommended for the vehicle configuration and load that is being carried at the time.
5.Verify that the steering damper is operating correctly.
a.Unbolt the end of the damper at the axle end.
b.Cycle the damper rod by hand.
c.There should be resistance to motion in both directions of the damper rod.
d.Replace the damper if no resistance is present.
6.Verify both outer tie rod ends dust covers are not worn.
a.Attempt to rotate the dust cover by hand.
b.If the dust cover on an outer tie rod end can be rotated, or is free and loose, then replace the tie rod (regardless of joint wear).
7.Inspect each outer tie rod end for internal wear.
a.Maximum allowed wear (joint travel) for a tie rod end is 1.15 mm (0.045 in.).
b.Install a dial indicator to the tie rod end (in-line with the vertical stud of the tie rod end).
c.With a pry bar placed between the steering linkage and the axle tube, pry upwards while measuring the amount of joint travel (wear).
d.Measure the amount of wear in the other outer tie rod end joint.
e.If wear (joint travel) in either outer tie rod end is greater than 1.15 mm (0.045 in.), then replace the worn tie rod end.
8.Verify the torque on each outer tie rod end stud nut. The nut should be tightened to 122 Nm (90 ft. lbs.).
9.Make sure any worn outer tie rod ends have been replaced before proceeding further.
10.Verify all other steering linkage connections are tightened to their torque specifications.
11.Grease both outer tie rod ends (even if the outer tie rod is new). Apply sufficient grease to each tie rod end until grease is seen purging from the joint at the dust seal.
12.Align the vehicle front end. Adjust to specifications.
13.Road test the vehicle and verify the shimmy condition has been corrected.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

FAILURE CODE:
Disclaimer :This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
THERE IS A POSSIBLE RECALL ON YOUR TRUCK, THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO INVESTIGATE.......
HOPE THIS HELPS:

Revised May 2009
Dealer Service Instructions for:
Safety Recall H46 - Mopar Linkage NOTE : The service procedure for this recall has been revised and additional labor operations have been added. All previous copies of Safety Recall H46 should be discarded from your files. Models
2003-2004 (DR) Dodge Truck 4x4 (2500/3500 series)
2005 (DH) Dodge Truck 4x4 (2500/3500 series)
2006-2009 (DH) Dodge Truck 4x4 (2500/3500 series or 1500 Mega Cab)
2006-2009 (D1) Dodge Truck 4x4 (3500 series)
2007-2009 (DC) Dodge Truck (3500 series cab chassis)
IMPORTANT : This recall only applies to vehicles that had certain Mopar service parts components installed. IMPORTANT : Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process. Subject
During a prior service appointment, a Mopar service parts linkage was installed on about 19,400 of the above vehicles. The drag link inner joint may fracture under certain driving conditions. This could result in a loss of steering control and cause a crash without warning.
Also, the bracket at the tube may loosen. This could allow the bracket to slide on the tube and may cause increased vehicle turning radius.
Repair
The linkage must be inspected and some steering linkage components may need to be replaced.
NOTE : The initial linkage inspection process can be done by write up personnel in the write up area (see Step 1 of the service procedure). Vehicles found with original style steering linkage can be immediately returned to the customer.

Parts Information
Special Tools

The special tools may be required to perform this repair:
Completion Reporting and Reimbursement
Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DealerCONNECT Claim Entry Screen located on the Service tab. Claims submitted will be used by Chrysler to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.

Use one of the labor operation numbers and time allowances shown.
Add the cost of the recall parts package plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim.
FOR VEHICLES INSPECTED IN THE WRITE UP AREA: Enter "INSPECT"
in the part number section of your claim with a quantity of one (1). Enter $5.00 WITH NO MARK-UP for reimbursement of linkage inspection
performed in the write up area. NOTE : See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions. Dealer Notification
To view this notification on DealerCONNECT, select "Global Recall System" on the Service tab, then click on the description of this notification.
Owner Notification and Service Scheduling
All involved vehicle owners known to Chrysler are being notified of the service requirement by first class mail. They are requested to schedule appointments for this service with their dealers. A generic copy of the owner letter is included.
Enclosed with each owner letter is an Owner Notification postcard to allow owners to update our records if applicable.
Vehicle Lists, Global Recall System, VIP and Dealer Follow Up
All involved vehicles have been entered into the DealerCONNECT Global Recall System (GRS) and Vehicle Information Plus (VIP) for dealer inquiry as needed.
GRS provides involved dealers with an updated VIN list of their incomplete vehicles. The owner's name, address and phone number are listed if known. Completed vehicles are removed from GRS within several days of repair claim submission.
To use this system, click on the "Service" tab and then click on "Global Recall System." Your dealer's VIN list for each recall displayed can be sorted by: those vehicles that were unsold at recall launch, those with a phone number, city, zip code, or VIN sequence.
Dealers must perform this repair on all unsold vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also use the VIN list to follow up with all owners to schedule appointments for this repair.
Recall VIN lists may contain confidential, restricted owner name and address information that was obtained from the Department of Motor Vehicles of various states. Use of this information is permitted for this recall only and is strictly prohibited from all other use.
Additional Information
If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this action, please contact your Service and Parts District Manager.
Customer Services Field Operations
Chrysler

tnichols10

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Dodge and it had the death wobble for me, I had it taken to dodge and they replaced basically the entire front end and the problem still persisted so finally I changed my tires and surprisingly that solved the problem. I upgraded from a Load Range D to a load range E tire and so far no problems. But it is important that the front end stays tight and within specs. Thats what worked for me in my case so hopefully it offers some assistance for you. Check the proper load range supposed to be on your truck for tires.

Dragon4x4

Reaction score
another thing to look at that is 99.9% of teh tiime over looked is the actual steering box, lots of them prematurly wear out and the lash gets to be too much and that will lead to the death wobble

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Dodge and it had the death wobble for me, I had it taken to dodge and they replaced basically the entire front end and the problem still persisted so finally I changed my tires and surprisingly that solved the problem. I upgraded from a Load Range D to a load range E tire and so far no problems. But it is important that the front end stays tight and within specs. Thats what worked for me in my case so hopefully it offers some assistance for you. Check the proper load range supposed to be on your truck for tires.

Is your truck a diesel? 80% of the people that call us with death wobble are running D rated tires on a cummins powered Dodge...BFG A/T's are especially bad in a 315/70R17 E-Rated only IMO:D

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
simple fix, costs 400-600 bucks it lengthens and suports the steering box shaft,it isnt a geometry prob. most of the geometry up there is fixed. The wear on steering box, and track bar is caused by a steering box shaft bearing assembly that is too small and bushings that are too soft. Its a 30 minute install, works 100 percent of the time. I have installed over 50 less than 100 of these kits and works everytime. I have used 3 different brands so im not going to hit the links, all good all happy!!!!

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
simple fix, costs 400-600 bucks it lengthens and suports the steering box shaft,it isnt a geometry prob. most of the geometry up there is fixed. The wear on steering box, and track bar is caused by a steering box shaft bearing assembly that is too small and bushings that are too soft. Its a 30 minute install, works 100 percent of the time. I have installed over 50 less than 100 of these kits and works everytime. I have used 3 different brands so im not going to hit the links, all good all happy!!!!

Are you talking about a steering box brace? The sector shaft assembly on the 2010+ is much larger than its predecessor and they can still get it with a new track bar...So I'm not sure if your fix is 100% fail safe...or am I misinterpreting what you are saying? IMO the cause of death wobble can be one of many, or a combination of many relating factors...and the fix for one truck is not necessarily the same for the next. It is a well known problem in just about any coil sprung solid front axle vehicle; jeeps, bronco, F250/350, ram 2500/3500 etc...

Top Bottom