Dodge 2500 - Ball joint upgrade???

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does any one know of a good upgrade for the ball joints for a 2005 Dodge 2500? I am looking for a solid grease-able ball joint since the OEM ones are shot. I was thinking XRF or MOOG (Carlyle’s are too expensive). I am sure some one has an opinion and I am looking for some ones personal experience/opinion. :confused:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
The good replacement ball joints are either napa chassis or moogs from bumper to bumper....... They both have lifetime warranty on the ball joints. Bumper to bumper(uni-select) can also get mevotech which is at least 1/2 the price but only has 1 year warranty.

You might consider getting wheel alignment first, because there are offset ball joints available in case the camber is out, and to replace the ball joints and then have to take out the new joints and put in offset ball joints would be a waste of time and money....... How is the front tire wear? Any edge wear? Steering pull? Just sayin'

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The alignment defiantly needs to be address. Inside of both fronts are wearing more than the out sides. I assumed that was because the ball joints were shot putting more weight on that part of the tires. It also pulls a little bit to the right. How can I tell if the Camber is out to lunch???

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
the alignment defiantly needs to be address. Inside of both fronts are wearing more than the out sides. I assumed that was because the ball joints were shot putting more weight on that part of the tires. It also pulls a little bit to the right. How can i tell if the camber is out to lunch???

you need to get a "pre-frontend" repair checkover and alignment.... They are tough when there is worn parts like ball joints, but it gives you an idea if you need the offset ball joints or not(camber out of spec)..... Also an incorrect toe adjustment will cause tire edge wear as well...... Probably a combination of problems(ball joints and alignment issues).........

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem IMO with moogs is so many people have had to replace them early, and the worst part of ball joints is the labour lifetime warranty doesn't seem over appealing to me. Personally, at $800 for all 4 carlis if your going to keep the truck it's the best money spend. You will NEVER ever worry about them again. However, i've heard dynatracs or XRF are the next best.

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem IMO with moogs is so many people have had to replace them early, and the worst part of ball joints is the labour lifetime warranty doesn't seem over appealing to me. Personally, at $800 for all 4 carlis if your going to keep the truck it's the best money spend. You will NEVER ever worry about them again. However, i've heard dynatracs or XRF are the next best.

I considered XRF but they are sealed and can not be greased, IMO not the best design. Do you know if some one carries Carli in Edmonton??? or do i have to get them out of Calgary???

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I only know of HRT offroad in calgary. Dunno on price but you might be better off ordering from the states, $800 package deal for them. Shipping wouldn't be much really. Just gotta ship USPS to avoid brokerage fees. 8lugtruckgear is a good place to order from George is great to deal with.

As soon as mine get bad it's what i'm doing. Got 140km on my stockers, still doing good.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I only know of HRT offroad in calgary. Dunno on price but you might be better off ordering from the states, $800 package deal for them. Shipping wouldn't be much really. Just gotta ship USPS to avoid brokerage fees. 8lugtruckgear is a good place to order from George is great to deal with.

As soon as mine get bad it's what i'm doing. Got 140km on my stockers, still doing good.

I ONLY GOT 59000KMS FROM MY STOCK BALLJOINTS ON A 2006 3500 MEGACAB 4X4........ REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY, SO I HAVE STOCKERS AGAIN:mad: ,,,, I WILL BE PUTTING IN MOOG PROBLEM SOLVERS WHEN THESE GO. MAY REQUIRE OFFSET BALL JOINTS AT THAT TIME??

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ONLY GOT 59000KMS FROM MY STOCK BALLJOINTS ON A 2006 3500 MEGACAB 4X4........ REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY, SO I HAVE STOCKERS AGAIN:mad: ,,,, I WILL BE PUTTING IN MOOG PROBLEM SOLVERS WHEN THESE GO. MAY REQUIRE OFFSET BALL JOINTS AT THAT TIME??

I don't know, a lot of people seem to say they need them but i've never had that issue, more common on lifted trucks, stock shouldn't be a issue. Yea it's weird some go forever, some go nowhere. I bought my truck with 95,000km on it but I know the hub had never been off but the original owner took extremely good care of it, and no warranty work had been done on the truck whatsoever. And most of my km's have been with a lift and bigger tires. However I have had to do axle u-joints and 1 rear driveshaft u-joint at around 125,000km which seemed early to me. And the u-joint for the driveshaft was $200 from NAPA! Note to self, do not wait until sunday and let the u-joint get really bad so you have to replace it :mad:

My biggest gripe about these dodge is the wiring in the doors for locks, windows, and speakers. My passenger side lock works when it was wants to, that switch for locks doesn't work though. Drivers side window broke AGAIN after I soldered the wire back together once, speaker in that door broke to. It's so common my dad just lost his locks in his back drivers door to on his 07 megacab, and his old 05 had the same thing, bros old 04 yet again! It is SO stupid how the wires are.

Last edited:

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Mine are going at 147Km, got to change them out before the fall. Thanks for the contact info for 8lugtruckgear I will defiantly give them a call.

Top Bottom