Do you ride with a Tether ?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, too close for it to pull off from falling off

And with your hands getting eaten up, no hands to pull cord off, if u get what I'm saying, they where busy, unfortunately

If your hands are getting eaten up by the track, then the spinning track is going to pull it off. If you really think you can get your hands up inside the tunnel without yanking the tether off, then you should try it, or shorten your tether.

Mike try riding in the tight trees and tell me how many times you get it caught.

Been riding the tight trees with my tether for many years, only had 1 instance where the trees pulled it off. I've caught the straps on my back pack about 5 times in the same time period by comparison. The tight tree thing is unproven, has been for many many years. If its really causing you issues, find a new spot.

I clip it to itself and put the loop around my wrist as Ray said. pull it tight and its like a tourniquet, the harder you pull the tighter it gets, very little risk it will just fall off randomly. I've never had it fall off like that and provided your hand is on the bars, there is really no where for it to go, unless you ride with your left hand dangling. There is only about 3-4" of loose cord when its on my wrist.

Anyone who's raced or been around high powered sleds long enough will always wear it and I agree they should be mandatory on all sleds. This is why all sanctioning bodies require mandatory tethers now, even when you are sitting on the sled, whether its running or not. Over the years I've seen too many "warm ups gone bad" in the pits. Also seen a riderless sled take off on the trail and hit a tree so hard that it bent the rails into an "S" shape. Estimated at around 80-90 mph impact in about 500 ft. Also seen buddies sled take off in the boulder parking lot and hit a trailer. All very lucky that no one was hurt, just damage to sleds. Imagine if your sled takes off into a crowd of your riding buddies.... Scary stuff that is mitigated by a simple cord.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your hands are getting eaten up by the track, then the spinning track is going to pull it off. If you really think you can get your hands up inside the tunnel without yanking the tether off, then you should try it, or shorten your tether.

Been riding the tight trees with my tether for many years, only had 1 instance where the trees pulled it off. I've caught the straps on my back pack about 5 times in the same time period by comparison. The tight tree thing is unproven, has been for many many years. If its really causing you issues, find a new spot.

I clip it to itself and put the loop around my wrist as Ray said. pull it tight and its like a tourniquet, the harder you pull the tighter it gets, very little risk it will just fall off randomly. I've never had it fall off like that and provided your hand is on the bars, there is really no where for it to go, unless you ride with your left hand dangling. There is only about 3-4" of loose cord when its on my wrist.

Anyone who's raced or been around high powered sleds long enough will always wear it and I agree they should be mandatory on all sleds. This is why all sanctioning bodies require mandatory tethers now, even when you are sitting on the sled, whether its running or not. Over the years I've seen too many "warm ups gone bad" in the pits. Also seen a riderless sled take off on the trail and hit a tree so hard that it bent the rails into an "S" shape. Estimated at around 80-90 mph impact in about 500 ft. Also seen buddies sled take off in the boulder parking lot and hit a trailer. All very lucky that no one was hurt, just damage to sleds. Imagine if your sled takes off into a crowd of your riding buddies.... Scary stuff that is mitigated by a simple cord.
If it's around the wrist sure possible

If it's on your d ring jacket or bibs, and u fall of the exhaust side like on a new doo, then your not that far from the tether ball

And your hands and head first with body at boards, u think it would pull it off

No Friggin way, mabe if it rolled once or something

Yes Kim's chances of his hand not getting all fawked up, wearing his tether was way better, I'm just saying that a Teth-Air is the best, 100% fool proof way for it to die when or if u get bucked off

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I didn't say I didn't wear a tether nor did I say people shouldn't wear tethers. I just implied that some days they are a pita and especially in the tight trees. Just like a kill switch can be a pita under certain conditions but I wouldn't be without one. Someone mentioned that they never got the tether caught in anything including the bars and I do find it hard to ride tight trees and not get it caught but that is not enough of an excuse for me not to wear one. It is just a laughable pita most days when it does happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom