Do not ride without at least a beacon, shovel and probe!!!!!

SlednecksBrown

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
ridewithchrisbrown.com
If you have not taken an avalanche course please at least take an AST1 2 day course. It can save your life or someone elses. You should practice beacon searches often so that you are prepared for the day you might really have to search for someone. I can tell you from experience that everything gets intense when an accident really occurs so the more prepared you are ahead of time the more calm and thorough you will be on game day. I just finished my 80 hour wilderness first aid/cpr course...another one that anyone and everyone can benefit from. It was an awesome course. I always ride with my Snowpulse pack...another tool that could help save your life if you are caught in a slide. Please be safe and smart out there people...and have fun! Don't let your friends ride without avy gear either. Chris Brown

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very good advice. Especially with all the early season snow piling on and people eager to get out there without thinking of safety... We were hit hard in PG this Sunday with a loss of a fellow sledder... Its too bad it take news like this to make people stop and think twice about their gear and training...

PS- I feel like I know you?? ;)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
It amazes me that people would ride without these tools in this day and age.

I agree, you would think by now, every person would have at LEAST that on them going into the back country. However we also cannot teach common sense.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad way to start it off bare minimum for back counrty gear BEACON PROBE SHOVEL they are required tools that should be on hand whenever you ride in the mountians. My condolences to the Prince George peeps that are dealing with the aftermath.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a sledder living in Prince George, riding the same mountain range every season that our fallen brother was riding, has really hit hard for me and many of my sledding friends. We are still in shock. This man was a icon in the sledding community, the logging community, and the race car community. I don't think there was a soul in this town that didn't cross paths with him. My personal favorite memory of him was when we went riding out the North Fraser Rd a couple years back. I got stuck pretty bad and was waiting for my hubby to come back while I started to dig out. Well, a whole slew of guys blew by me, not even taking a second look.... all except for D.M. He came back to try to help with a huge smile on his face.....he was just that kind of guy. Happy go lucky and ALWAYS willing to help. My hubby knew him quite well also, as they were in the same line of work. It is a huge, devastating blow for this town.....and I don't think we can ever forget. :(

While the debate here is about avy safety and wearing the proper gear, it should be common sense by now that we all need to have it....and most of all how to use it. Let's use this tragedy as a learning tool. Maybe it will save a few lives this winter. I know in this town it is very hard to get people avy aware....I tried to put an AST 1 course together with Zac's and didn't even get the minimum amount to hold the course, but Lori agreed to put the course on anyway since I had been so persistent!

I ride with a beacon, shovel, probe, and Float 30 pack. I also have my AST 1 training. My 15 year old son and my hubby also have this training. This is the bare minimum to have....I wouldn't be out there without it. Most importantly, practice, practice, practice with your beacon. Know how to use all of your equipment in a timely manner. Do a test fire on your avy bag. But most of all, don't get too excited when the snow is fresh and deep. Be aware of your surroundings and don't take chances.....your family and friends want you to return home.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts go out to people in PG dealing with this unfortunate loss. As a first time sledder this year I've already got my beacon probe shovel and ABS escape 15 pack. I'm also registered for AST 1 class and rescue training with zac's. My thanks go out to all the people in the sled community who have helped inform me of needed training and safety tools.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts go out to people in PG dealing with this unfortunate loss. As a first time sledder this year I've already got my beacon probe shovel and ABS escape 15 pack. I'm also registered for AST 1 class and rescue training with zac's. My thanks go out to all the people in the sled community who have helped inform me of needed training and safety tools.

Awesome! I'm sooo happy to hear that you spent the money on a sled, and made the necessary investments to make sure you live to enjoy it :)

Top Bottom