Do I need a diesel

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much can the new gas jobs pull?getting a big 37ft 5th wheel but it sits in a seasonal lot all year,may eventually go south with it,arizona etc but would a new Gm gas job handle it ok?have a 2002 2500 he now that is getting a bit old now and will need a new or newer truck soon.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need No but once you have one you'll never go back

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your traveling with it any amount I would recommend a diesel. I pulled a 28' bumper hitch camper with my 03 2500 and then bought a diesel in 09 and I will not go back to gas for pulling. Like Tdr said.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TDR said it right. The Cumins doesn't even notice the sled trailer and a 3 horse trailer with living accomodations loaded and I can still do the speed limit coming up valleys. Before I got this diesel I was a Ford guy and gas. Never again will I tow with gas, unless it is the Durango R/T and the jet skis.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had a2008 f350 v10 gas had a decent amout of power but couldnt pass a gas station when loaded switched to an 2012 cummins barley notice the same load now
truck and trailer and loaded sled deck is aprox 19000 lbs

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda what I thought to not going new but will stay with Gm 2010 or so probably

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda what I thought to not going new but will stay with Gm 2010 or so probably

If going used get a little bit older truck with less emmisions crap, nice low km units are out there, just have to watch.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah you need a diesel, your gonna be the only guy in GP with out one. Towing a 37 footer with a gasser would not be anywhere near as enjoyable as with a diesel, esp long trips.

Take advantage of that 0 percent financing as well. If your gonna make payments, its prob cheaper to get brand new.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you like 6mpg towing then giver with the gasser.
Keep in mind a 37' trailer is likely gonna put you overweight with 3/4ton.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you like 6mpg towing then giver with the gasser.
Keep in mind a 37' trailer is likely gonna put you overweight with 3/4ton.

I guess the 8 mpg I get towing IS a 30% increase from 6 mpg, haha.

I drove a new suburban this week and I'm sure my dmax with a trailer would give it a run for its money though... I wouldn't tow anything with that.

'12 T4

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It totally depends on what your going to use the truck for the most. For towing you can't beet a diesel. But with all the new emissions crap on the new diesels, if your just going to spend most of the time just putting around town I would recommend a gasser. The new diesels with all that emissions crap aren't getting that terrific a gas mileage unless you do the deletes, which can be quite pricey. The other thing is the price of diesel isn't cheaper than gas so you have to factor that in.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't really care about fuel mileage on my diesel if I wanted fuel mileage I would of bought a smart car if you can afford the truck you can afford the fuel just saying

catsass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you get a diesel make sure you have warranty otherwise every visit to the shop is min $2000.00

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would never go back to a gasser. Have an Lmm and i do alright for mileage, I can get around 13.8l/100km if i drive nice. This is with the deletes and an exhaust system. Oil changes cost me $60 to do myself, $35 for a fuel filter and $20 for a tranny spin on. Ive got 270000 on it now and nothing different about the way it runs from when i bought it. Had to do a front end and other then that a couple glow plugs and she still runs strong!

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 13 3/4 mariginally lifted dodge Cummings right now is getting 12/100 highway unloaded and around 16-18/100 city cause is too much fun to drive nice. Two sleds on my deck and my highway goes from 12-14, with all stock emissions crap in, just turned over 11000km's

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just went from a diesel back to a gas. I was going to get another diesel but ran across the gasser that was really nice. All I haul with it is my enclosed so it does fine. Don't have to deal with the diesel issues. But if I had a large heavy trailer I would have stayed with the diesel for sure.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you get a diesel make sure you have warranty otherwise every visit to the shop is min $2000.00

Maybe I'm the exception. Daily drive an '06 Duramax and other than normal maintenance stuff, I'll I've had to do is one glow plug and I've got around 255K on it. Probably ready for a few front end parts, but a gasser would be in the same boat.

My big problem is fuel prices right now. Diesel is 25 cents a liter higher than gas at the moment. I don't tow overly often, but have a deck, so I need a 3/4 ton.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a '05 2500HD with a 8.1L gas engine and it has no shortage of power. I usually get around 13mpg empty, 10mpg with 2 sleds on the deck, and probbaly closer to 9mpg with the 2 sleds on the deck and towing a trailer. I'm not real easy on it, so good thing it has a 140L tank in it cause she can be thirsty!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go back now that I have had my diesel for a while. Love driving the truck! A must for towing in my opinion...so much more relaxing having the one ton pulling the trailer, not to mention better mileage. Around town it gets frustrating. I find the big truck needs to stretch it's legs. They are definitely meant to work. Diesel in winter is pricey, diesel in summer has been cheaper than gas. Works well for me as we use the diesel mostly for trailer towing.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 cummins that I bought in 07 and used it as a daily driver and weekend trailer towing. I did that for 4 years and have now got a commuter car to rip around town and to go to work and back. Plus this way it keeps the kms down.
I wouldn't want to daily drive it anymore , but can't imagine not having it for towing.

Sent from my iPhone using while working extremely hard

Top Bottom