Dinosaur

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam beginning to feel like one
.Does anyone else miss the old days.When sleding in the mountains ment being in the backcountry and not a ten minute ride on a groomed trail to the burger stand while 13 satelites in geosynchronus orbit over North Americal plot your every move.There is a thread posted on here asking "if you ever ride with out a becon" ect,? i remember riding before that stuff existed.
Now we hearald ourselfs as bold adventures who travel forth into the wild dressed in gear more hightech than what Armstrong stepped out on to the frigging moon with.
GPS was rare, cell phones still on Miami Vice and Spots 20 years in the future,We got around by paying Dam good attention to where you were.
I miss the days when sledding was a male adventure where girlfriends and wives were left behind to worry in silence with out cellphone, twitter or spot.Now sled trips are empowering women's retreats, where they truely learn their inner strengths and.........Yawn!,whatever. I had more fun when the only chick i saw while sledding, was the one i was trying to stick a loonie to so i could get a new poster to hang in the enclosed
I miss days when being in the backcountry ment being in a place like 51 before the powerproject was in,When it took two days to get to Alberta hill and a Whole weekend would go by without anyone getting off the lake at Chapple.Places like turtle and joos were true hidden gems.
Now i know you shouldnt drink and ride,but i still love having a beer at the cabin, and seriously is sledding even worth it? if you cant sit at the trucks on a warm evening up some trail when the rest of the world has long ago took out the golf clubs,and have a beer and a smoke and laugh about the ch!t that happened.
I miss being able to explore,Iam tired of the clousure's, A caribou's only purpose in life is to make other caribou and feed the wolves.If my tracks make either possible, High five for me ive helped the circle of life contine.
Now the sleds are so much better than the crap we bounced over ungroomed trails on 20 years ago, not sure if anything else is though.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you're right scotts. I really miss the days of truckin when all we had was 250 horsepower. the chinchaga was a solid 20 hrs away from home and we had to have 2 sets on for a hundred miles, wearing insulated coveralls and gloves in the cab and looking thru a softball sized clear spot in the windshield because the heater just couldn't keep the cab warm enough. ah yes, bouncing down those poorly maintained bush roads on rubber block suspensions or a big 6 leaf pack (if you were a high roller) and vitually suspension-less 8 wheel trailers with those awesome dayton wheels that came loose frequently and always had to be manually tightened up several times a trip really brings back memories of fonder days. I loved being out of communication range for days on end, wife never knowing if I was doing okay until the truck rolled into the yard. it was a real treat while out by yourself many hours from civilization when the CB would crackle to life, and you adjusted your squelch and played with the gain to see if you could talk to whoever it was to see if they needed a hand or they were just calling to see if there was another soul within range. sigh....

waaaait a second.....fawk that.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was talking about the lawless old days of sledding,not your days as a manning truckstop waitress.
live in the now dude. you sound like an old farmer pissed off because people are honking their horns at him for doing 40 mph on the highway like he did back in the 40's. roll with it or get rolled over by it.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah! Bog, you know the ones that a guys stuff's in the snowbank by the truck. Soooo cold..waiting for you! On one of those days that a guy snuck up the backside into Allen cause the main trail is too bare.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ch!t i've been riding the wrong areas I want to ride where there's a burger stand fawk! Here i've been a sucker packing a lunch all these years....

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you're right scotts. I really miss the days of truckin when all we had was 250 horsepower. the chinchaga was a solid 20 hrs away from home and we had to have 2 sets on for a hundred miles, wearing insulated coveralls and gloves in the cab and looking thru a softball sized clear spot in the windshield because the heater just couldn't keep the cab warm enough. ah yes, bouncing down those poorly maintained bush roads on rubber block suspensions or a big 6 leaf pack (if you were a high roller) and vitually suspension-less 8 wheel trailers with those awesome dayton wheels that came loose frequently and always had to be manually tightened up several times a trip really brings back memories of fonder days. I loved being out of communication range for days on end, wife never knowing if I was doing okay until the truck rolled into the yard. it was a real treat while out by yourself many hours from civilization when the CB would crackle to life, and you adjusted your squelch and played with the gain to see if you could talk to whoever it was to see if they needed a hand or they were just calling to see if there was another soul within range. sigh....

You forgot about not having a sleeper and having to sleep across the seats at -40....damn my back gets sore just thinking of that again! :) :beer:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Thats the closest I've ever seen to you admiting fault.....

ch!t i've been riding the wrong areas I want to ride where there's a burger stand fawk! Here i've been a sucker packing a lunch all these years....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You forgot about not having a sleeper and having to sleep across the seats at -40....damn my back gets sore just thinking of that again! :) :beer:
true story, in the early 70's my pops built the first winch tractor with a sleeper in the industry. he was tired of sleeping across the seats too.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Oh ya' back in the 70's with the mighty Elan north of Ft. Smith, following trapper trails to get to a cabin and enjoy some ice fishing. Having evenings with the cabin stove just a hopping, the rum flowing, the northern lights crackling, and the BS deeper than ever. Even back in those days we were arguing over who made the best sled.......it has like heaven when the first hand warmers came out!!!!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ya' back in the 70's with the mighty Elan north of Ft. Smith, following trapper trails to get to a cabin and enjoy some ice fishing. Having evenings with the cabin stove just a hopping, the rum flowing, the northern lights crackling,
and the BS deeper than ever. Even back in those days we were arguing over who made the best sled.......it has like heaven when the first hand warmers came out!!!!

when the BS gets deeper than the snow it's time to go home

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

what about propping up the old 8 track with a book of matches to line the heads with the tape and hear some CCR

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok.. I'm in.

I'm not going to rip your head off because you slammed riding with women or the things that we do as women sledders. Yet......

True enough man, it's not for everyone. Those who chose to ride with their wives are usually not a part of the "old boys club". To each their own. My husband was attracted to me initially BECAUSE I rode, and sled too... (little humor there).
The good old days are still kicking around for some. I am thankful for my sled guys. They are my best friends in the world. We all share the same demented sledder humor. There's enough room on the hill for each mentality, and each is not for everyone, for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom