Difference between xm and free ride?

m8welder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone tell me the difference besides track length.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the boards are 1 inch wider on each side, different shocks with dials , in 2012 the steering post was more forward not sure about this year, it has the RS bracing all around so its a bit beefier and a few pounds heavier, and the color is only on freeride

the freeride loves the bumps and jumps it handles awesome in the whoops but it doesnt like to sit on its side as easy being wider but Im short so every bit helps for me.

I had a 12 freeride great sled but now have 13 xm summit and love it more

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll let you know in a month or so haha.
Had the xmx last year. Waiting for the freeride to show up this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The freeride is double welded and beefed up. The xm is the old light weight nimble XP that you need to spend some $ on to stiffen up. Long story short the Freeride is for someone who can sled, jumps and makes there own trails. The XM is light weight and for highmarking. It is also good at everything the Freeride can do but you should stiffen it up so it doesn't fold boondocking.....

Korey

Reaction score
The freeride is to doo what the assault is to Polaris built a little beefier for jumps drops and the like

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The freeride is double welded and beefed up. The xm is the old light weight nimble XP that you need to spend some $ on to stiffen up. Long story short the Freeride is for someone who can sled, jumps and makes there own trails. The XM is light weight and for highmarking. It is also good at everything the Freeride can do but you should stiffen it up so it doesn't fold boondocking.....

not true at all.....the freeride is simply beefed up for jumps and drops. the xmx can handle EVERYTHING else just fine. the thing i see alot with the free ride is people buy it expecting it to be an easy to ride sled like the XMX. which it is not. it takes more effort to ride period.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2014 Freeride handles way better than the 2013. Cant wait for mine to show up,,, kinda getting pissed off its not here yet. I bought it rather than the X because it comes with good shocks. If the X would of had those shocks I probably would have got an X. It is 2inches wider but im a pretty good rider so I'll be ok...lol

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2014 Freeride handles way better than the 2013. Cant wait for mine to show up,,, kinda getting pissed off its not here yet. I bought it rather than the X because it comes with good shocks. If the X would of had those shocks I probably would have got an X. It is 2inches wider but im a pretty good rider so I'll be ok...lol

I was going to say it has a wider front end. I rode a 09 summit x hillclimb edition for three years and it has a wider front end to. I am not a big guy only 165# and I could through that sled around no problem. Can only think the new free ride would be even easier.

Sent while sitting on the toilet when I should be working!

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not true at all.....the freeride is simply beefed up for jumps and drops. the xmx can handle EVERYTHING else just fine. the thing i see alot with the free ride is people buy it expecting it to be an easy to ride sled like the XMX. which it is not. it takes more effort to ride period.

Hahahahaha. You have seen a lot of xm freeride owners have you?? It has a 2" wider stance that makes it not quite as floppy as the xmx that is all. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
freeride comes with a set of white rimmed sunglasses

Really? sweet. No mickey mouse shocks. A tunnel that doesn't flex more then the track. And some shades. The benefits over the X are looking better and better.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? sweet. No mickey mouse shocks. A tunnel that doesn't flex more then the track. And some shades. The benefits over the X are looking better and better.

wouldn't be so sure there. Those running boreds were pretty saggy when I was on the demo sled. As well I found they dragged when pulling button hooks, but the extra width sure is nice. the sled is heavier and does require more input to maneuver over the x. The stance is great and stable, but too wide, sway bar disconnect is a necessary IMO. Do any of the pro riders whom ride for skidoo ride the freeride?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wouldn't be so sure there. Those running boreds were pretty saggy when I was on the demo sled. As well I found they dragged when pulling button hooks, but the extra width sure is nice. the sled is heavier and does require more input to maneuver over the x. The stance is great and stable, but too wide, sway bar disconnect is a necessary IMO. Do any of the pro riders whom ride for skidoo ride the freeride?
Rob Alford has a new freeride. He has an X too,, He said he'll probably spend more time on the X,, but it has a boondocker Turbo and Elka shocks. Id ride that over a stock freeride too. I don't have his sponsors tho...lol For me the cons are the extra 2inches of width and 20lbs heavier and no 163 option. The Pro's were a stronger tunnel and the shocks. The freeride was 500$ more at my dealer with 4000$ in upgraded shocks. No brainer for me. The X is abit more tippy and 163 can be nice too,, don't understand why doo doesn't put better shocks on their top of the line mountain sled?? The Raptor upgrade Martins was doing is cool,, no such luck from my dealer tho. So freeride it is for this season,, Cant wait:beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rob Alford has a new freeride. He has an X too,, He said he'll probably spend more time on the X,, but it has a boondocker Turbo and Elka shocks. Id ride that over a stock freeride too. I don't have his sponsors tho...lol For me the cons are the extra 2inches of width and 20lbs heavier and no 163 option. The Pro's were a stronger tunnel and the shocks. The freeride was 500$ more at my dealer with 4000$ in upgraded shocks. No brainer for me. The X is abit more tippy and 163 can be nice too,, don't understand why doo doesn't put better shocks on their top of the line mountain sled?? The Raptor upgrade Martins was doing is cool,, no such luck from my dealer tho. So freeride it is for this season,, Cant wait:beer:

i dont think the 2" width is a negative if you can ride well. its just not a good sled for someone looking to upgrade to an easier sled to ride. id love to have a freeride if it came in 163. i can handle the extra width and love hitting chit fast and sideways. the stability helps here LOL. i do find the XM gets a little squrelly in some of the nasty stuff. but for me it is so much easier to ride i just put some good shocks on it and i will deal with that as it comes at me lol

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont think the 2" width is a negative if you can ride well. its just not a good sled for someone looking to upgrade to an easier sled to ride. id love to have a freeride if it came in 163. i can handle the extra width and love hitting chit fast and sideways. the stability helps here LOL. i do find the XM gets a little squrelly in some of the nasty stuff. but for me it is so much easier to ride i just put some good shocks on it and i will deal with that as it comes at me lol
It was a tuff decision for me this year. I really like the X but the freeride was a better buy for me.:beer:

Last edited:
Top Bottom