Diesel in a 1/2 ton - 2014 Ram 1500

slade420

Reaction score
a 1/2 ton diesel will be great for those that have to car pool or drive 100 km for work every day but need to be able to pull their boat or trailer with sleds/quads or sxs on the weekend. heres hoping they are reliable. that should kill this thread lol.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a 1/2 ton diesel will be great for those that have to car pool or drive 100 km for work every day but need to be able to pull their boat or trailer with sleds/quads or sxs on the weekend. heres hoping they are reliable. that should kill this thread lol.

What? No, you can't do that. If this thread is dead, where else can I brag up my sweet ass diesel truck? :rolleyes:

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a 1/2t diesel. I want a 1/2t diesel. I can afford a 3/4 or a 1 ton diesel...but I don't want one and I don't need one. I am not against diesels. I like diesels. I love typing the word diesel. There are dozens of threads about whose Dodge/Ford/GM big diesel is better. I don't care about that. The point of this thread was to discuss the positives (or lack thereof) of a 1/2 ton diesel....and it turned into "I paid less for a waaay better 1 ton than you did" thread.

I believe the point of a 1/2 ton diesel is for those of us that use our little truck mostly like cars, but we need to make the odd trip to the dump now and then, or haul a rocking chair for Grandma. We need/want mileage like a car....not 800 lb/ft of coal-rolling tire-tearing power.

Now THAT's a rant.

wow... you still dont get my point.

my point is, since i have to say it now...

the initial cost of diesels don't have to be as high as people think... and the maintenance doesn't have to be as expensive

so... the cost of ownership between a 1/2 ton gasser and 1/2 ton diesel should be negligible

just comes down to personal preference

i was just stating my first hand examples as of now... as there is no 1/2 diesel in north america we can reference from

we do have a 1/2 ton gasser and its a hog on gas, i would prefer if it was a diesel... just for groceries

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the initial cost of diesels don't have to be as high as people think... and the maintenance doesn't have to be as expensive

so... the cost of ownership between a 1/2 ton gasser and 1/2 ton diesel should be negligible

i was just stating my first hand examples as of now... as there is no 1/2 diesel in north america we can reference from

we do have a 1/2 ton gasser and its a hog on gas, i would prefer if it was a diesel... just for groceries
Wow. Your point really wasn't that clear. Thanks for clearing it up.

wow thats what i paid for a full load one ton, with an extra appearance package... and nav

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't think you could sense feeling from typing but I think I sense a hint of sarcasm in the above post :)

lubemanager

Reaction score
I think it will be something to evaluate when they finally come out in the fall. I bought a Z71 Avalanche back in the fall, it wasn’t cheap, but rebates and 0% financing, made me overlook the dated, but comfortable interior. Paying a premium for diesel, in the winter, didn't make sense to me. I just replaced one of my 5.9 Laramie Dodges with a 2012 Longhorn. The difference is noticeable; the power improvement is noticeable as well. Fuel economy, well if you have to ask, you shouldn’t buy one: LOL. We will be replacing the 3500 06 Quadcab next year, and we do not need the heavy pulling power, so gassers and v-6 diesels will be in the evaluation. I don’t care who’s badge is on it, I only care “how much to buy and how much to operate”. Get what you need to do the job, keep right except to pass, and at least do the speed limit, up the hill and down!!, my rant of the day. (BTW I’m over 55)

Last edited:

semmens21

Reaction score
It's a truck, if you're worried about how great of gas mileage it can knock down, buy a cheap beater car. Way better suited to daily driving than any truck every will be. I'm 22 and I have a beater car for three reason,
1. Gets way better mileage than my Powerstroke ever could even think about getting, and its waaayyyyy easier to park at work and on campus.
2. The money I save from driving my car vs. my truck allows me to go sledding more.
3. Keeps miles off of my truck.
I like the idea of a half ton diesel, but will it be able to pull the 35' enclosed goose neck I'm getting, no way. If I had a two place open deck sled trailer and that's all i towed then I would definitely consider a half ton diesel truck, but that's not why I bought a truck. I bought a truck to do the work that requires a truck and a car that I don't like driving to do all the day to day stuff. The money saved in fuel, oil changes, and tires per year easily has paid me back the 2500 bucks i paid for the car and the 300 bucks i pay for liability insurance on the car.

A 1/2 ton diesel would be cool if it could knock down 30+mpgs and didn't have a lot higher initial cost, but its just not for me and how I use a truck.
That's my opinion and I'm not trying to force it upon any one else, just my thoughts on a 1/2 diesel.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have to say I agree... just went with a F150 5.0 and its a pig on fuel except when I stick it at 100 km/h on the highway and its flat... its not fun to drive cuase im always trying to keep it under 2 thousand rpm so the gas doesnt pour out of it... I miss a diesel! My family does a lot of hwy driving and city driving combined...

If a 1500 diesel comes out Im waiting a year to see how she preforms and dumping the gaser... my wife drives the truck around town and gets 19-22litres per 100 km... my diesel she never got much off 12l/100 km... i have a 14 foot alluminun trailer that i use to haul two quads... this summer ill take them down to Kamloops and back with the f150 im guessing come back up through clearwater to Jasper that truck with the dog and the kids is going to cost me a mint in gas ... any bets? Its an xlt 4 door 6.5 bed 4x4 love it for comfort but im mad at myself still for not getting a diesel... i could be wrong but so far fuel mileage i am very disapointed.. only saving grace is that it has a 130 litre tank so we can go close to 700 km...

if we didn't have emmissions crap on diesel we wouldn't even be arguing about this... a 1500 diesel with 8 speed tranny would be so good on mileage the gov't would have to tax it just to make up for the loss of revenue at the pumps! California is doing it's best to kill the diesel market... the fact that some still drive diesels as a daily driver should tell everyone how good these new vehilces are. they have come a long way from the early 90's at 165 hp stock... do you remember when we all thought those trucks were special? Now we're complaining that 240 hp 400 plus torque isn't enough... but you can't compare hp of diesel to gas... its two way diff things! Its kinda like trying to compare 4 storkes to 2 strokes.... NO IM NOT TRYING TO START ANOTHER THREAD

Top Bottom