Diesel in a 1/2 ton - 2014 Ram 1500

Lanko

Reaction score
You have got to be kidding me, the GM interiors are embarrassing, they haven't had a significant upgrade in 10 years. For what they are charging for a Denali HD that interior is piss poor in comparison to a Laramie or Lariat, love the Duramax hate the dated, cheap looking interior.

30,000 lbs is cute. The 2013 f350 is 33,000lbs.

The Ecoboost has 420 ft-lb of torque. While still having 100+ more HP that is important for high RPM power. Not sure how having less HP and torque is "out performing in every way"

Why does dodge need an 8 speed tranny when they can't even make a decent 6 speed?

Ford has halo headlights in the new f150s.

Dodge interiors are still terrible compared to ford and chev. Longhorn laramie is nice, but platinum, king ranch, LTZ, Denali, and even the lariat all put it to shame.

How about that death wobble?

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding me, the GM interiors are embarrassing, they haven't had a significant upgrade in 10 years. For what they are charging for a Denali HD that interior is piss poor in comparison to a Laramie or Lariat, love the Duramax hate the dated, cheap looking interior.

i have the suv style dash in my truck, so the same as the denali but solid silver instead of the wood grain... anyways i like the plain look its supposed to be a truck, not a fancy car...

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bigz the exhaust brake alone on the 6.7 should make you want a cummins for the towing you do. Every guy I've sold a cummins to has raved about the engine braking... It's that good. The fuel mileage you are getting is better than I've heard from dura max you must take your time getting up to speed and avg 105 km/h or so?

I don't know that the 6.7 will do that mileage but close, your the kinda guy I would love to give a truck to just to see I wish I had a broke in 3500 on the lot with 5th wheel just to see...

if its anything like the 2007 ram exaust brake i didnt like it to loud and not as effective. the exhaust brake in the silverado is awesome and have no complaints with it

Lanko

Reaction score
What I was getting at is the price of the new loaded up HD trucks rivals that of high end cars and suvs, I'm talking caddy's, mercedes, bmw, lexus, etc. I expect a little bit of a higher end feel when a guy is spending that kind of cash. I totally understand what you are saying about it being a truck, but you can't tell me the GM interiors are not in need of some minor upgrades to get them comparable to the Dodge and Ford interiors, I am referring to the Laramies, Lariats, and Denalis or LTZs. If you are referring to a work truck I completely agree that it doesn't have to be top shelf, but if it is a truck used to haul the family while pulling your holiday trailer, or the truck you and the boys are headed to the hills in then I do expect it to bring a little more to the table then the lower priced SLTs, Xlts, etc.

i have the suv style dash in my truck, so the same as the denali but solid silver instead of the wood grain... anyways i like the plain look its supposed to be a truck, not a fancy car...

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My neighbour just bout a new 13 Denali half ton and a few months ago, and I bought a new 13 Laramie 1500. We were comparing the trucks the other day and he was quite disappointed. He paid $69,000 retail, but with rebates got it for $61,000, I paid $57,000 retail and with rebates I got mine for $47,000. In his words, my Laramie has a way nicer interior and exterior and he's regretting not buying a dodge . I have way more options, a more powerful fuel efficient motor, better tranny, more towing features, hell even the stock tires are better. And before I put the airbags in he said it rode just as good as his does. I still think his seats are more comfy for the long haul but he said he even likes the Laramie seats better. Another unsatisfied gmc customer right there

Stefan Plouffe

Reaction score
My neighbour just bout a new 13 Denali half ton and a few months ago, and I bought a new 13 Laramie 1500. We were comparing the trucks the other day and he was quite disappointed. He paid $69,000 retail, but with rebates got it for $61,000, I paid $57,000 retail and with rebates I got mine for $47,000. In his words, my Laramie has a way nicer interior and exterior and he's regretting not buying a dodge . I have way more options, a more powerful fuel efficient motor, better tranny, more towing features, hell even the stock tires are better. And before I put the airbags in he said it rode just as good as his does. I still think his seats are more comfy for the long haul but he said he even likes the Laramie seats better. Another unsatisfied gmc customer right there

Bingo!

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's been my experience too. Come on, GM has only had that body and interior for 7 years now. It's part of the "retro" package.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

wow thats what i paid for a full load one ton, with an extra appearance package... and nav

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your missing the point... they are not as expensive as one would think and their maint costs are not as high...
You're missing the point. The diesel 1/2 ton *should* get 30+ mpg....NOT be able to tow a 14,000 lb skid steer 120 mph up the Rogers Pass...they already make THOSE trucks....and there's lots of threads where the owners of these already made trucks can argue about whose is faster/cheaper/more powerful/more expensive/blacker coal....

Last edited:

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're missing the point. The diesel 1/2 ton *should* get 30+ mpg....NOT be able to tow a 14,000 lb skid steer 120 mph up the Rogers Pass...they already make THOSE trucks....and there's lots of threads where the owners of these already made trucks can argue about whose is faster/cheaper/more powerful/more expensive/blacker coal....

Yeah you for sure missed his point....Looks like your just going on a rant about diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of a 1/2t diesel. I want a 1/2t diesel. I can afford a 3/4 or a 1 ton diesel...but I don't want one and I don't need one. I am not against diesels. I like diesels. I love typing the word diesel. There are dozens of threads about whose Dodge/Ford/GM big diesel is better. I don't care about that. The point of this thread was to discuss the positives (or lack thereof) of a 1/2 ton diesel....and it turned into "I paid less for a waaay better 1 ton than you did" thread.

I believe the point of a 1/2 ton diesel is for those of us that use our little truck mostly like cars, but we need to make the odd trip to the dump now and then, or haul a rocking chair for Grandma. We need/want mileage like a car....not 800 lb/ft of coal-rolling tire-tearing power.

Now THAT's a rant.

Top Bottom