Diesel in a 1/2 ton - 2014 Ram 1500

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Impossible how the fawk can a halfton front end carry a cummins. Never. You would be overweight before you get your own fat azz in the cab let alone a fat g/f and a couple kids lol.
Makes no sense for a diesel in a half ton but that's just my opinion

lots out therechamp. just take a look at thediesel swap edition lots of halftons and lots of old muscle have dirtymax and cummins in it. the duramax engine actually weighs 50 lbs less than my buddies 383 stroker motor its why he had admax in a69 nova with a 4 link rearend. so 100% possible and 100% do able.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what are the benifit a if your diesel over a gas, as I am sure you don't haul anything but your single sled on s deck all winter to ride it the two times you actually Go anywhere, even though it sits there all year. Could it be the worse fuel mileage, when empty, drove them all and empty they don't even get close to my 5.4 that's a pig and the new gas are better than it for mileage, higher operating costs, higher purchase cost, higher maintenance costs, more frequent oil change intervals.
I was looking at changing to a diesel, as I haul my holiday trailer every weekend in the summer, 33ft bumper with 2 slides and my 4 place sled trailer in winter , but just cannot se it being cost effective. Test drove the big three so to speak all three had horrible fuel mileage compared to my gas. Ride was horrible on all as I would go to a1 ton if I was to change as you can't haul two sleds on a deck legally with a 3/4 ton with the big cab then I figured in oil change cost doubling ish over my gas fuel cost add another 10% for actual cost then another 10% for higher consumption and to get a comparably loaded truck to what I have now would be a 70g plus unit
Diesel just not as good of an option as they used to be gas gets the same or better mileage and cost to run is wayyy less

As for the comment about truckers being worried about fuel
You don't think they are at best these new units are getting 5-6 mpg empty. Every 1/4 mpg they can save they do. When was the last time you pulled up to a pump and dropped a g note just you could go to work that day and hopefully not break down or damage anything just so you can do it again tomorrow morning.
Remember regardless of how some of them drive "EVERYTHING" you consume in any way was on a truck at one point in its life cycle to get to you.

Ahhh screw it, this thread is already off topic. Lol. First off, thank you for clearing up what YOU think I haul with truck. My truck has seen its fair share of heavy loads but that's not the point. The only time my truck does any sitting is when I'm working. It's also my daily driver when I'm home. The wife drives the car which uh oh, guess what? It has a V10! Oh no. Does that hurt your little feelers too?

You seem angry at the guys who drive and enjoy diesels. Guess what? We aren't all hung up on what it costs to drive and maintain them. I just plain enjoy the different sound, feel, and sturdiness of a diesel. And the torque is a lot of fun. There are definitely pros and cons to gas and diesel.

If you are that hung up on maintenance and operating costs, why not see if you can get a hitch mounted to a Toyota Prius? Drive what you enjoy and don't run others down because it doesn't float your boat.

And I'm not sure what your deal is with truckers. Are you or your daddy one? I'm sure we all understand and appreciate them. But just like anyone else, there are Dbag truckers out there too.

An important point I should make is I'm talking about deleted and chipped trucks. Not dealer stock. That makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yawn. If I want a diesel I'm getting a 1 ton. If I want a fuel efficient halfton I will get an Ecoboost that has more power and cheaper repairs. If I want a half ton with towing power I will get 6.2 ford or chev.

Only decent thing dodge has ever done is put cummins in.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahhh screw it, this thread is already off topic. Lol. First off, thank you for clearing up what YOU think I haul with truck. My truck has seen its fair share of heavy loads but that's not the point. The only time my truck does any sitting is when I'm working. It's also my daily driver when I'm home. The wife drives the car which uh oh, guess what? It has a V10! Oh no. Does that hurt your little feelers too?

You seem angry at the guys who drive and enjoy diesels. Guess what? We aren't all hung up on what it costs to drive and maintain them. I just plain enjoy the different sound, feel, and sturdiness of a diesel. And the torque is a lot of fun. There are definitely pros and cons to gas and diesel.

If you are that hung up on maintenance and operating costs, why not see if you can get a hitch mounted to a Toyota Prius? Drive what you enjoy and don't run others down because it doesn't float your boat.

And I'm not sure what your deal is with truckers. Are you or your daddy one? I'm sure we all understand and appreciate them. But just like anyone else, there are Dbag truckers out there too.

An important point I should make is I'm talking about deleted and chipped trucks. Not dealer stock. That makes a huge difference.

A V10? What kinda car lol

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up an 08 Audi S6 a few years ago. Fun car and AWD for winter too.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 163

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yawn. If I want a diesel I'm getting a 1 ton. If I want a fuel efficient halfton I will get an Ecoboost that has more power and cheaper repairs. If I want a half ton with towing power I will get 6.2 ford or chev.

Only decent thing dodge has ever done is put cummins in.

Well said

But after reading all these knuckle dragging white sunglasses wearing jacked up diesel driving stacked with balls hanging off the back guys statements about how awesome s diesels I think I might wedge one into my rev

It would be cool and would get better fuel mileage

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha, yep I am in my 20s my age has nothing to do with my opinion so your telling my its ok for you to do 80 in 100 zone with your trailer because you feel its safer but end up backing up traffic behind you, yep there's the reason there should be a minimal speed limit in so they can enforce it to the people that cant drive the posted speed, if you cant do the speed limit you shouldn't be on the road and if you don't feel safe driving the speed limit with your trailer you shouldn't be driving with one!
one day you will grow up. hang in there

Stefan Plouffe

Reaction score
The ram 1500 diesel is aimed squarely at ecoboost. It is slated to have 400 lb/ft of torque and will outperform the gas v6 in every way including economy.

Absolutely no costs have been released yet, I expect it to be about 4000 premium over gas v6.

What's being missed is that Chrysler is starting to be on the leading edge now instead of behind.

8-speed tranny.
Diesel 1/2 tonne
Air ride (sealed system)
Auto high beams
Auto wipers
8.4 inch radio's
TFT dash displays
LED and projector lighting
Etc etc etc
Ford and Chev are playing catchup a bit now and I like it😀

Oh and 2013 RAM 3500 has 30,000 lb tow capacity. Stick that in your tailpipe.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ram 1500 diesel is aimed squarely at ecoboost. It is slated to have 400 lb/ft of torque and will outperform the gas v6 in every way including economy.

Absolutely no costs have been released yet, I expect it to be about 4000 premium over gas v6.

What's being missed is that Chrysler is starting to be on the leading edge now instead of behind.

8-speed tranny.
Diesel 1/2 tonne
Air ride (sealed system)
Auto high beams
Auto wipers
8.4 inch radio's
TFT dash displays
LED and projector lighting
Etc etc etc
Ford and Chev are playing catchup a bit now and I like it😀

Oh and 2013 RAM 3500 has 30,000 lb tow capacity. Stick that in your tailpipe.

30,000 lbs is cute. The 2013 f350 is 33,000lbs.

The Ecoboost has 420 ft-lb of torque. While still having 100+ more HP that is important for high RPM power. Not sure how having less HP and torque is "out performing in every way"

Why does dodge need an 8 speed tranny when they can't even make a decent 6 speed?

Ford has halo headlights in the new f150s.

Dodge interiors are still terrible compared to ford and chev. Longhorn laramie is nice, but platinum, king ranch, LTZ, Denali, and even the lariat all put it to shame.

How about that death wobble?

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The Ecoboost has 420 ft-lb of torque. While still having 100+ more HP that is important for high RPM power. Not sure how having less HP and torque is "out performing in every way"

Why does dodge need an 8 speed tranny when they can't even make a decent 6 speed?

Dodge interiors are still terrible compared to ford and chev. Longhorn laramie is nice, but platinum, king ranch, LTZ, Denali, and even the lariat all put it to shame.

420 ft lb torque at what rpm?4000? i bet that diesel torque is under 2000rpm

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the new diesel 1500 will have over 420 lb of torque, it has 420 in the jeep and is said to have more torque than that in the truck

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the new diesel 1500 will have over 420 lb of torque, it has 420 in the jeep and is said to have more torque than that in the truck

Gotta say there is the advantage of the diesel for dodge as torque is what that's hemi didn't have. They were like 400 Hp but I think only around 340 or something torque. The 5.4 was only 315 Hp or something but the torque was up around 360. One reason they tow so well IMO
Dodge is making big strides to catch up to what ford has been doing but IMO chev has alot of catching up to do now.

chedder

Reaction score
The torque in the ecoboost peaks around 2500 rpm. With the 20-25% price premium to buy diesel. Ill happily keep my ford!
Also heard that hp/torque numbers will be significantly higher on the 2014 ecoboost. (Factory tuning I believe).

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The torque in the ecoboost peaks around 2500 rpm. With the 20-25% price premium to buy diesel. Ill happily keep my ford!
Also heard that hp/torque numbers will be significantly higher on the 2014 ecoboost. (Factory tuning I believe).

That and the fact that for 500 bucks bully dog has a programmer that will put 400+ to the ground and torque was huge increase as well just can't remember exactly what.
I just don't like the Eco boost cause no matter what you do it will always sound like a car :(

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It occurs to me that Jared could create peace between gas and dissel folks by coming out with a product that allowed the gas guys to roll coal.

Stefan Plouffe

Reaction score

Wrong on the towing unless Chrysler marketing guys are wrong they said 2013 F350 is 24750 max and I confirmed that on the web site...

I guess they figure the 8 sp tranny will make the difference keeping the diesel in a better place to return better numbers.

Dodge makes Bullitproof trannies and according to our propaganda guys both the Aisen 6 speed going in the 2013 diesel (same one that moves our 5500) and the 6 speed currently behind the Hemi have lower failure rates than the competitors.

More gears = better fuel efficiency and performance. Dodge has more gears in the 1500 than any other truck. It's a leap on the competition.

I'm glad for Ford that out of the list of class exclusive features I mentioned, they have cool headlights too, but they don't have many others.

Interior design is a matter of opinion and mine is obviously biased but I think you haven't driven a Ford lately. The Chevy is no contest. Saying an LTZ interior is nicer than a Laramie is laughable. It was 6 years ago Ill give you that. Ford does have some decent upscale interiors but you pay through the nose for it. Ram has 95 percent as nice materials in ours for thousands less. Oh and features they just don't have. Bigger screens, TFT message centers et al.

Death Wobble? I'm assuming your referring to the front end shake that occurs on an older Rams when the front end components are worn out and you hit a bump and the front end shakes bad. We fix those buy installing new front end parts that aren't worn out.

They have since upgraded the front suspension and Ill concede they were weak. If you do some research you will find that the 2013 Ram 3500 suspension looks a lot like another manufacturers front end... You may be flattered by that move. I'm sure you would agree the front ends will be ford tough enough now... (They are identical setup)

Ram rulez, Ford drools,

:)

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gotta say there is the advantage of the diesel for dodge as torque is what that's hemi didn't have. They were like 400 Hp but I think only around 340 or something torque. The 5.4 was only 315 Hp or something but the torque was up around 360. One reason they tow so well IMO
Dodge is making big strides to catch up to what ford has been doing but IMO chev has alot of catching up to do now.

Hemi is 395hp 417 ftlbs, not 340, hemi has plenty of torque and pulls like a champ, luv my new 13 ram, it really works well, chev is real far behind now

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did check the new ram ratings and thats impressive... not sure how they will hold up when/if the sae j2807 towing standard comes into effect

i have a 2013 chevy duramax one ton SRW and i get 11.5-12.5L/100km which is about 18-19 mpg...empty real world... which is better then a lot of gas halftons i see. it also weighs 7000 lbs empty... its at 19 000kms now, not even fully broke in

i get between 17-22L/100km pulling a 30' gooseneck total weight of 15000-17000 lbs... depends on what the load is, if its bulky or not

the trick with the DPF is minimal idle time. start, wait for pressure to build and you are good to go. modern diesels dont need a 5-20 minute warm up time anymore. in fact in they are designed to warm up faster when you drive them, they stay in a lower gear until the trans temp gets to a pre-determined level. unless you have a heavy load then give it a couple mins to warm up and take it easy at first

diesel maint can be much higher if you take your truck to the dealership for oil changes... i can change the oil in my older duramaxes for $100 and the oil change interval is good for 25 000kms, the newer duramaxes the oil changer intervals are a bit shorter... if you use the right oil and filter

you do have to change the fuel filter more often then a gas motor, but the interval is about 25 000km- 30 000km on the older duramaxes and probably closer to 50 000km-60 000km on the newer duramax. filters are only $65-$75 from the dealer

i change the tranny spin on at every oil change, you lose 1/2 pint of ATF and the filter is $12 at the allison shop

diesel motors are much more reliable and no you dont have to change the turbo and injectors at 300 000kms... there are a lot of duramaxes with over 1.5 million kms with only having to change a water pump and a few front end components...

i have 4 durmaxes now and i had a 5th that was written off last year, the only major problems were a bad turbo due to a improper tune from a previous owner, one glow plug and 1 set of tranny cooler lines... plus some front end work... but thats it

i own a hotshot company btw so i know exactly what goes on with my trucks

Stefan Plouffe

Reaction score
Bigz the exhaust brake alone on the 6.7 should make you want a cummins for the towing you do. Every guy I've sold a cummins to has raved about the engine braking... It's that good. The fuel mileage you are getting is better than I've heard from dura max you must take your time getting up to speed and avg 105 km/h or so?

I don't know that the 6.7 will do that mileage but close, your the kinda guy I would love to give a truck to just to see I wish I had a broke in 3500 on the lot with 5th wheel just to see...

Top Bottom