Diesel in a 1/2 ton - 2014 Ram 1500

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still gets the job done, just not at 110. My half ton pulls my dump trailer that has 7000# no problem. It screams at times, but gets the job done regardless.

Never thought I would see the day. Good to see Dodge coming out with a small diesel pickup. However, it's not a real torque monster IMO.

i see a real market here. i for one hate 2500,3500 trucks. they ride like absolute crap for daily drivers and i actually only use the capacity once in a while. this truck will be GREAT for towing the boat to the lake, taking a couple sleds to the hills, pulling a small enclosed around. because no one wants to buy a 2500+ with diesel to only use it a few times a year. meanwhile if you buy the fully loaded 3500 diesel to only do these things a couple times a year its just a stupid useless fuel pig truck the rest of the time. all the smaller gas engines in the 1500s are TOTALLY useless for towing anything other than their own weight. and there have been lots of times i have used a 1500 to tow small things around and wished i had some torque to get the job done.

flygti32

Reaction score
Ohhhhh man !!!!! This is great news. This is going to lock me into buying a dodge 1500 for sure. I tow a 3500lb camper, with boat, and quad, in summer, sleds in winter, this is going to be the perfect fit for what I and my family needs. Love the ride of the 1500 over the 2500, I love the cummins motor, but just can't get over the ridiculous price for them.

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
i see a real market here. i for one hate 2500,3500 trucks. they ride like absolute crap for daily drivers and i actually only use the capacity once in a while. this truck will be GREAT for towing the boat to the lake, taking a couple sleds to the hills, pulling a small enclosed around. because no one wants to buy a 2500+ with diesel to only use it a few times a year. meanwhile if you buy the fully loaded 3500 diesel to only do these things a couple times a year its just a stupid useless fuel pig truck the rest of the time. all the smaller gas engines in the 1500s are TOTALLY useless for towing anything other than their own weight. and there have been lots of times i have used a 1500 to tow small things around and wished i had some torque to get the job done.

This has been an untapped market for years. Emissions standards for lighter than 8600lb trucks killed the half ton diesel for GM, was too costly back then to start upgrading the 6.5 to meet standards, and they needed to get rid of that pile of scrap iron engine anyway.

What the marketing gurus didn't see past the numbers is that most guys that buy the 3/4 ton crew cab standard box 4x4 diesels would have bought a half ton if they were available. As the HD truck wars heat up a bit and payloads push upwards, the 3/4 ton diesels are getting really big, heavier, and the unloaded ride quality has gone down. And the diesel fuel economy continues to drop from he 20+ mpg levels of a few years ago. Enter again the half ton diesel.

One thing about that gassers, they will pull just fine if you don't mind the engine screaming in your ear. These newer V8's can rev all day and then some. They build them way better than they used to!

chedder

Reaction score
Playing catch up with ford. F150 crew with 6.5 foot box and ecoboost. 360 hp 420 ft lbs. decent gas mileage and super comfortable ride. You can even get hd 8200 lb gvwr
I have had one for almost a year and no complaints so far. Tows 7000 lb rv like its not back there.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would rather wait until the New Nissan Titan comes out with the 4cly Cummins. Better truck and better engine.

Nissan still makes a truck? Lol. How lame is it that they've had the exact same truck for 10 years? Now that's progress, not.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Playing catch up with ford. F150 crew with 6.5 foot box and ecoboost. 360 hp 420 ft lbs. decent gas mileage and super comfortable ride. You can even get hd 8200 lb gvwr
I have had one for almost a year and no complaints so far. Tows 7000 lb rv like its not back there.

How does it stop with it, or do in a strong crosswind or a twisty highway? Not being a jerk, I'm actually curious.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does it stop with it, or do in a strong crosswind or a twisty highway? Not being a jerk, I'm actually curious.

Brake pads and rotors same dimensions as the 3/4 ton if you have the heavy tow package. Trans is the same as a 3/4 gas. Pulls decent for a half ton and still had the ride.

Kinda windy today in Edmonton and I'm towing ours home after some warrenty work 94xx or so they call the rare weight of it 33'. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361216669.129918.jpg

Going good
Impressive actually as I thought it was going to be way worse

Little

Reaction score
Sometime you have to wonder. Dodge has nearly 30 yr history with the inline 6 engine, without it the Dodge trucks would have been gone from the market, then they hookup with euro engine and come up with a v configuration. Now Datsun has the inline Cummins WTF???

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometime you have to wonder. Dodge has nearly 30 yr history with the inline 6 engine, without it the Dodge trucks would have been gone from the market, then they hookup with euro engine and come up with a v configuration. Now Datsun has the inline Cummins WTF???
very interesting comment since i own a dodge with the Inline 6 and probably wouldnt own a dodge if it wasnt a cummins

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brake pads and rotors same dimensions as the 3/4 ton if you have the heavy tow package. Trans is the same as a 3/4 gas. Pulls decent for a half ton and still had the ride.

Kinda windy today in Edmonton and I'm towing ours home after some warrenty work 94xx or so they call the rare weight of it 33'. View attachment 150287

Going good
Impressive actually as I thought it was going to be way worse
I see your location is GSBA is that related to GBCA?

Little

Reaction score
very interesting comment since i own a dodge with the Inline 6 and probably wouldnt own a dodge if it wasnt a cummins.

I would guess that 2/3 of the Dodge 3/4 and 1 tons sold would not be if it weren't for the inline 6 engine. We have 3 that would be Tundras if it weren't for Cummins. We tolerate the poor ride, crappy interior/seat etc for the engine reliability/mileage. I had a Ford 6.0. SC Long box. Nicest truck I've driven. In the shop more than on the road. In hindsight should have put a 5.9 in and kept it.

Last edited:

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a bit farther west. Seba area
Geez, this is a bigger deal than i first thought, i have a buddy who is a GBCA(RR14 north of 16) for years and he doesnt know he is a GBCA, he is missing out on all the fame and tail that comes with it, LOL

Dynamic

Reaction score
About freakin time! I was always jealous when I went on vacation down south and every second car or small truck had a little desiel. I would seriously think about buying a truck if a smaller desiel half ton was offered. Hopefully this starts the movement.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better truck my a$$, you sir sniff to much glue, Nissan is overpriced, underpowered jap crap, had a few buddies that have owned them Titans and never heard one of them say much good about them work wise or towing wise. Probably a great grocery getter but that is all

I would rather wait until the New Nissan Titan comes out with the 4cly Cummins. Better truck and better engine.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not exactly catch up as the 13 ram 1500 hemi boasts 395hp, 417 ft lbs, 3100lb payload when equipped with air ride, super comfortable ride and gets decent mileage, almost identical to my buddies ecoboost when towing and actually better on occasion(ecspecially in the hills), when empty a bit worse but really who cares, eco boost numbers are always inflated it seems because anyone I know who has them isn't getting close to what ford says or what some people on here "SAY" they are getting

chedder

Reaction score
Wow. Didn't know dodge's payload was that high. Is that on the crew cab? Yeah gas mileage empty on my ecoboost isn't like ford says but still reasonable. Also with 3.73 and all the towing hardware of the hd towing package and hd payload package I wasnt expecting miracles. But man is the towing nice. All the power is under 3000 rpm so it doesn't seem like the motors screaming like on most v8 half tons.
I think that's what I like about it the most, instant power when needed. If that diesel is a hit it will definitely be gm sucking wind.

Top Bottom