Diesel drags

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok guys so me and a buddy were looking for something new to fill our spare time, so we are giving diesel truck drags a go. Im leaning towards a 5.9 cummins but am partial to a duramax but either way im looking for some info on the classes and regulations. My budget isnt an issue but basically we want to stay street legal but have a rocket sled at the push of a button. Any suggestions on mods and powerplant combos are greatly appreciated.:beer:

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Dunno about the class requirements for the track but I can tell you these Duramax trucks rock with some work. Running 650hp/850tq on mine and that's nothing compared to what you can get out of them. The blocks are great and there's some great stroker kits out there if you want to get one of these to run in the 10 second club.

Talk to Chris over at Stripe Tech. He'll get you all squared away and running hard against the rest of the class.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok guys so me and a buddy were looking for something new to fill our spare time, so we are giving diesel truck drags a go. Im leaning towards a 5.9 cummins but am partial to a duramax but either way im looking for some info on the classes and regulations. My budget isnt an issue but basically we want to stay street legal but have a rocket sled at the push of a button. Any suggestions on mods and powerplant combos are greatly appreciated.:beer:

Do you mean drag racing? Do you want a drag only truck or to replace your gas job? '06+ Duramax's are running high 12's with a tune and exhaust. Yes, that's CCSB rigs. Hopefully mine will be one of them next year. If I just wanted to go fast I'd get a RCLB and then spend a few bucks to shorten the frame and make a short box out of it.

Dunno about the class requirements for the track but I can tell you these Duramax trucks rock with some work. Running 650hp/850tq on mine and that's nothing compared to what you can get out of them. The blocks are great and there's some great stroker kits out there if you want to get one of these to run in the 10 second club.

What tuning are you running? Those numbers seem kinda close to me.

Sure you could spend $20k on a stroker and supporting mods, but there are guys running in the 11's with a tune and turbo.

Where's 889? He knows fast Dmax's.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Sorry for the miscalculation on the HP/TQ numbers. Obviously that was out and I must have been dreaming. (like WTF?) :rolleyes:

I run a PPE tuner and currently have it rolled it back to setting 2 to save the Allison trans. Setting 2 on this tuner adds 90/160 to the stock figures and should be in around 460/820. The max you can run from this tuner is 590/995 but you need lots of work to keep the Allison together at that high of setting. I am also running an S&B cold air box, removed the DPF and then added Magnaflow exhaust on this truck. It's plenty fast for a daily driver and Chris and Jason @ ST were the guys who hooked me up with this setup. I'm sure it will run a solid 12 second pass but have not ran it yet.

It's fun to drive though! :d

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on Gascan, any plans to hook up to a sled?

Johndeereman, whats your budget for this?

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok first off this truck will be for racing and showing little upstarts in their ricerockets but the will be a toy I'm keeping my gasser for everyday stuff. My budget is 30g for the truck and 20 to 30 grand in a build but we'll see how power hungry I get.

And I'd love to hit high tens

Last edited:

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that's awesome. man I'm excited for you just thinking of the potential here.

I'm kind of partial to the Dmax, it would be easy to find an '06 ( the first year of the LBZ motor, no sense in buying a newer one because you'll be working it over so hard anyways ) I'd work with a Reg cab cause they're so light, and personally like I said I'd get it shortened. With your budget I'd build the motor right away.. rods, pistons, big twins, tranny, efi live, you're in the tens.

My brother is a dodge guy. he was telling me a couple weeks back about a good deal on a shortened dodge. Anyways, the advantage of the dodge is you can get a 12v, or even a cr '03 and either one would be a good start to a build. IMO there are a lot of built Dodges out there, three of the fastest trucks in alberta IIRC are dodges. Drevers and the CT shorty, plus Kevin M's rig. Your call. I think some of the parts for the dodge are cheaper, and more available.

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a dodge would be my pic as they seem easyier to work on. i don't see a need for 30g on the truck. as my brother said regular cab maybe shorten it and start spending. competitiondiesel.com for some good input. i just got a large garret turbo and some mach 4 sticks in the mail i cant wait to try it hopefully the turbo spools nice.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like i said this is a toy as well so im leaning towards either ext cab sb or a reg cab lb because of street play. I decided that im sticking with the duramax powerplant and am looking in the 2003 to 2006 range.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where's 889? He knows fast Dmax's.

Sorry, i was riding deep snow in the sunshine.

To run 10's you need built trans, built motor if you want to do it more than a couple times, Twins or a big single and spray, dual cp3 pumps, big injectors, big lift pump, 10.0 rollbar, lots of small supporting mods that add up to alot of money and i'm probably forgetting a bunch of stuff. here's mine. runs 10's and takes the kids to school. second vid i got out of it after the 1/8th, that's why the low mph.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqoWHKh_Qfo&feature=player_embedded[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqthDYNUALg[/media]

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and buy a regular cab. weight is a killer in this game.

If i was building a race truck i'd buy a regular cab 2wd CR dodge.

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you do want to build yourself right cause there are some nice built ones forsale out there. with your wallet i would probably buy empire diesels truck 40g prob in the 10's and its acrew cab. big supercharger feeding a REALLY big garret sounds like street fun to me.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes this is a project i want to do myself i couldnt drive something some one else built up it just doesnt feel right, call me weird.

I know the weight is an issue that why ive been contemplating getting a marine crate duramax and dropping it into a reg cab sb half ton body, i have the truck readily available i know i have some frame strength issues and mounting brackets to add but this is minor. right now my ideas are endless.

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get a mid 90s chevy or gmc, single cab, short box, 2wd and stuff that Dmax in there

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imo best option then is to get a 6.0L half ton and a dmax of the same year. From what I understand its a lot more plug and play then you would think and you can sell the 3/4 with the 6.0 motor after. There's a guy on comp d doing escalade dmax swaps and from what I've read if you match years things work pretty good.
Good luck with the build hopefully it hooks up that seems to be most peoples problem

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imo best option then is to get a 6.0L half ton and a dmax of the same year. From what I understand its a lot more plug and play then you would think and you can sell the 3/4 with the 6.0 motor after. There's a guy on comp d doing escalade dmax swaps and from what I've read if you match years things work pretty good.
Good luck with the build hopefully it hooks up that seems to be most peoples problem

hmm thats an interesting idea...... now i have some real thinking to do.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this would be fun to help you out with any tech stuff you need and parts finding ( i am a bd diesel dealer too ) dont forget i own a diesel shop in gp and know ur cousin sheldon did a dmax conversion in a 95 hummer h1 turned out great lotsa work though

Top Bottom