Did you know? You may be able to claim your avalanche gear/training through benefits?

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of my friends has passed me on some great information regarding his regular work benefit package.

His regular benefit package is looking at avalanche training AND equipment the same way others use their benefit to cover things like gym memberships, running shoes and other training allowed under their benefit allocation.

They were advised that this is based on the assumption that the training is for survival in case of an avalanche.
If this assumption is correct, expenses for both the training and the equipment including the beacons, packs and probes are eligible under the benefit package. (NOTE that this was NOT an extended package and should be allowed under regular manulife, sunlife etc.)

When submitting the claim for the above, it should be noted on the form that the expenses were incurred for survival in case of an avalanche, as if the expenses are for something other than survival in case of an avalanche, they would be ineligible under the plan. Wording is key apparently but it works!

This includes all training, transceivers, shovels, probes, airbags etc.

Food for thought. Please share this around as it could be a great way to upgrade your current gear or to help afford some new training!

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some employers set this up to have this program as a perk and allow claims of this nature to some extent, it's basically an allowance for health and wellness and right now I cannot think of the actual term it called.

I only worked for one company that offered it and reimbursement for the items you mentioned were not on the approved list. I could get 200 bucks towards a new bike, but nothing towards snowmobiling.

Remember that every employer has different benefits packages offered to its employees.

If this is now under regular benefits id like to know more info as to what plan will cover this because it never hurts to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uninc...

Reaction score
The company I work has a "wellness spending account" through blue cross and they will definitely cover Avalanche gear/ training and even snowmobile accessories.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The company I work has a "wellness spending account" through blue cross and they will definitely cover Avalanche gear/ training and even snowmobile accessories.

and my sled pass also

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am also with blue Cross,

Is that different than the health spending account?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My company has sunlife and I get 350 a year for health and wellness. Last year I used it to buy my Delorme unreach gps. I called first to make sure it would be approved, that way there's no surprise.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with sunlife and spoke with them about getting some equipment or training and they are good with it. Just say you are using it for both back country sledding and skiing and there is not issue with it for your lifestyle spending account

uninc...

Reaction score
Yes the health and wellness spending accounts are different. Health spending is for things like buying glasses or prescription drugs. Wellness is for things like taking a class or buying a computer. Our company gives you an allowance and you can designate a portion to the wellness spending or health spending. The advantage of health spending account is that it is tax free where wellness spending is a taxable benefit.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah. Makes sense. I don't think I have that option. Just the hsa.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

change_up

Reaction score
Not sure if you're aware or not (I was just told by a coworker), but any unused funds remaining in your Health Spending Account can be claimed up to a maximum of 2 years and you get a check in the mail. Nice little bonus to spend/save on whatever you want

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta Blue Cross Wellness Spending Accounts provide an innovative means to support all aspects of your employees’ well‐being.

These accounts provide reimbursement to support your employees in the pursuit of a broad range of opportunities to maintain and enhance their wellness—including

fitness equipment and activities
professional development and education courses,
dependent care,
financial planning and health‐related programs and services.
Employers are able to select the categories of eligible expenses that meet their specific organizational objectives.

This gives employees more choice and control over their wellness, while limiting employer expenditures in support of wellness to a predefined maximum annual cost—thereby delivering cost certainty.

Remember to check if your employer has this set up for you and your eligible for the benefit.

Top Bottom