diamond drive failures

catgod

Reaction score
Changed the DD oil today found some brass filings in my oil and figured I better check things out for peace of mind. Wasn't too hard to take out the DD from the sled on a 07 m-1000 a hour or so and some cold ones.Dealer says I need to replace the planetary assembly but I was fortunate to catch it in time before things got more messed up. Does anyone know how to repair these things when the brass bushings screw up? I cannot believe you have to spend $600 or more because of a brass bushing that no one supplies. So where is a good place to go for parts cost effective would be nice that way will not cut into gas fund for sled too much. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

trailboss

Reaction score
A friend of mine is a dealer and as far as I know the sun gear pins are pressed and riveted into the gear set so I don't think there is any way of rebuilding it,Just my 2 cents

steevo

Reaction score
Only 7 pages of it on snowest...see DD bearing failure!

Giver

As Giver said

Make sure when you rebuild that DD that you change out that bearing! When it lets go,there goes your Diamond drive!:nono:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy's '07 M1 just did the same....DD ate it's pigs for the third time, first two times were on warranty. recreationsupply.ca is where tabneil gets his parts, decent prices and they ship overnight too.

Red Mtn Riders

Reaction score
Replace it with BD's DD lite and be done with it. You give up reverse but will always have forward from now on:p It is the same price as fixing what you have, and what you have WILL blow again.

Coxy

Reaction score
The long thread on snowest is about the small single row bearing that fails in the 09 drives, not about the brass from the planitary shims.

The BDX lite drive is a real nice piece i agree. Well worth swapping to when your mechanical reverse drive craps the bed. Apparently the 08 cats can apparently get 09 flash, and a pin or two changed in the wiring, (reverse notch cut in helix), and have electronic reverse as an end result. If/when my drive in my 09 fails, ill be going to a bdx lite, theres alot of slop in these drives between the planitary gear assembly and the case casting, that sooner or later it cant be good for it.

Red Mtn Riders

Reaction score
Unless of course you have an '05 or '06:) I just bought an '05 with the original DD oil in it. I removed the DD, split it, changed the oil and cleaned it up. Still looks like new inside, no slop.:d

Coxy

Reaction score
Agree'd Red, my 05 drive was great. Didn't have the smash and bang play in it, just did what it was supposed to do...quietly lol

Lotza boost

Reaction score
Replace it with BD's DD lite and be done with it. You give up reverse but will always have forward from now on:p It is the same price as fixing what you have, and what you have WILL blow again.

Bdx dd installed in my sled and have 3 rides and it is sitting in the bottom of a ravine with a blowin dd drive... junk i say but I did get one hole year out of the stock dd.... this will be fun ffs

Paul2727

Reaction score
You should look at the fit of your tunnel vs. track drive shaft. There is a procedure listed here or in Snowest.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bdx dd installed in my sled and have 3 rides and it is sitting in the bottom of a ravine with a blowin dd drive... junk i say but I did get one hole year out of the stock dd.... this will be fun ffs

You should look at the fit of your tunnel vs. track drive shaft. There is a procedure listed here or in Snowest.

considering he's running a race gas kit with a 3071, I wouldn't worry too much about tunnel fit and maybe accept the fact that DD/drivetrain maintenance is going to be something that you'll have to monitor more if you are putting oh...say.....about DOUBLE the amount of HP to it. I wouldn't necessarily be calling the DD junk in this scenario either.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's your huckleberry. The DPFN Medicine Man led me to the source of all DD happiness some years ago. :)

Paul2727

Reaction score
considering he's running a race gas kit with a 3071, I wouldn't worry too much about tunnel fit and maybe accept the fact that DD/drive train maintenance is going to be something that you'll have to monitor more if you are putting oh...say.....about DOUBLE the amount of HP to it. I wouldn't necessarily be calling the DD junk in this scenario either.

Three guys running turbos, big bore kits, and nitrous on Arctic Cats in the Sierras, well in excess of 300 hp, one over 400 hp, had no problems with their stock DD, for several years. They laughed at guys like me, with newer model stock machines, with low miles and blown DD's. They (wrongly) blamed our troubles on poor maintenance. When in fact, there wasn't any A/C prescribed maintenance to do. And premium maintenance after the first failure didn't fix the problem. It only allowed owners to remove shrapnel and replace the tiny 6203/4203/5203/3203 bearing repeatedly, before major gear damage.

Tunnel vs. track drive shaft mis-fit was the real problem, which induced huge thrust loads on the otherwise competent 6203/4203/5203/3203 bearing. Some machines have the tunnel vs. track drive shaft mis-fit, and some don't. A/C quality control, luck of the draw. Ignore at your own peril!

Several posts show how to measure and how to fix.

Piston: Agree that Hi Torque and Xtreme Lite BDX DD's are great. Better and less expensive than A/C. However, they don't fix the tunnel vs. track drive shaft mis-fit. Just provide stronger parts to deal with the axial thrust abuse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom