Determining value of used parts?

finndoo

Reaction score
I will try to make a long story short. Have an 08 xp x package that needs a top end that we are trying to decide on parting out or fixing for a backup sled. I see lots of parts for sale to give me an idea what they might be worth but there are a few things that I rarely see for sale that are super expensive to buy new. The ECU, instrument cluster and tether are all synchronized together so I thought they should go together but even half of retail seems like a lot. Also the chassis with tunnel and heat exchanger, engine module, shock module, A arms, shocks, steering, front bumper, and the pyramid braces should probably all go together too. It would make it easy for someone who tagged a boulder and bent everything on theirs like a pretzel. The prices of all those together retail is more than you can buy a good running 08 XP for. So how do you determine a fair price on stuff you never see for sale to compare? I guess there is the old saying " start high because you can always come down" lol.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bah. Just fix it. And boost it.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will try to make a long story short. Have an 08 xp x package that needs a top end that we are trying to decide on parting out or fixing for a backup sled. I see lots of parts for sale to give me an idea what they might be worth but there are a few things that I rarely see for sale that are super expensive to buy new. The ECU, instrument cluster and tether are all synchronized together so I thought they should go together but even half of retail seems like a lot. Also the chassis with tunnel and heat exchanger, engine module, shock module, A arms, shocks, steering, front bumper, and the pyramid braces should probably all go together too. It would make it easy for someone who tagged a boulder and bent everything on theirs like a pretzel. The prices of all those together retail is more than you can buy a good running 08 XP for. So how do you determine a fair price on stuff you never see for sale to compare? I guess there is the old saying " start high because you can always come down" lol.

There is a couple ways to look at this. One 50% is generally what a good used part should be valued at and i mean a GOOD used part, it looks good visually and has no wear and functions like a new part. Not something that has been well used and is still functional but beat up, such a part would be worth a lot less or thrown out.
The other way to look at it is, how long do you want to sit on it? Dealers and manufactures severely gouge the customers when it comes to parts, so to base your price on what a dealer will sell at can be at times ridiculous. Depending on what it is as your finding out with your 08 XP.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Market has a lot of XP's being parted out right now.
Just put a top end in there, cheap fix

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its all about the right buyer. I thought about parting out my 08 nytro but a lot of time and effort goes into that and you have to be willing to respond to endless kijiji low ballers. If you have time I'm sure it will be worth your while as long as expectations are reasonable.

Top Bottom