Decks vs Enclosed Trailers

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy has a 4 place trailer, hasn't been used since the end of Nov due to poor road conditions and having to drive up into areas to go sledding. I prefer the deck easier to get around and a hell of alot safer in windy and icy conditions.

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Firefly ,

Will 3 sleds fit in a 2 place V nose trailer ? or will I have to look at buying a 4 place trailer to get the 3rd sled in ?

Polaris_Smithys

W

woodies

just did the build it or buy it deal for a sled deck. and $4200 versus $1000 material. i think i'll build! course this a deck without pullouts so maybe cheaper. and also i had other issues but 3500 is a lot i figure!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would you prefer?
Right now I'm at the point where I need another deck or should I just buck up and buy a trailer. I know there are pro's and cons to each but considering fuel cost's and versatility what would most of us want?
I like my deck, spring time it's great, drive thru's work, parking easier, but unloading with no reverse is a pain, and so is getting my gear out from under the deck, and gearing up or down kinda sucks!
A trailer tho I could heat it, change in it, sleds are cleaner, and have a tasty beverage in it! Work on the machines, store them in it for summer, kinda endless the pro's for one. Bad things are parking, fuel mileage, cost of buying.
So help me make up my mind! thanks:beer:

My buddy and I bought a place enclosed together. Don't know how we got managed with out it. Best investment we ever made. We laid the ground rules down right off the bat and haven't looked back since. Yeah it can be a pain in the ass parking at times but we always manage to work around that issue. fuel mileage isn't much different than pulling a four place open but the security is much better. The sleds are always clean. We also used it a few times for moving. Just my opinion but I would suggest the 4 place enclosed.

W

woodies

not sure what you mean exactly?
hard to pay 4200 cash for a sled deck when we can build one for less than 1000. sure its not going to have the extensions, but only intend to use it as needed. and yes we will have a lot of welding to do but thats what we do!!:eek::d

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris_Smithys, are we talking 7' Wide or 8'5" Wide trailer. You could do 3 sleds in an 7' X 23' or 8'.5" X 19. I'm sure others can chime in on the shortest 8'.5" trailer it would take to put 3 sleds in.

It's so funny to see the difference in trailer sales between the U.S.A. and Canada. Our Dealers in the States sell 70% 7 Wides and 30% 8.5 wides for recreational toys. We're completely opposite. I towed a 7 X 29 last year with my 1/2 ton Denali Suburban and absolutely love it! Tracked perfect behind the vehicle. The trailer empty weighed 3200lbs add 4 sleds at 650lbs each, fuel, beer, tools, gear etc.. I weighed it twice with different loads 6300 lb and a 6450 lb trailer weight. I can't believe we don't run more 7 wides in this country. If I need just a toy trailer I'll run 7 wide all day long! Just food for thought, LOL

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Firefly, with the 7' do you load all three facing forward? I thought you'd need at least 7 1/2' to load without touching? There is always one in every group with a Nitro and 12'' wide skis.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are swinging towards running both. Long box with a deck, then a V-nose 16 foot 7wide trailer. Don't have the deck yet but hopfully this year. Love this trailer U can turn around in a gas parking lot. Had a 4 place too big for us, we use the trailer all year around for the dirt bikes and quads. We never used the 4 place in the summer as it was just too big to drag anyware. Plus liked the fact that we could pull it with the escalade, and no need for big wide mirrors. But everyones needs are different. I'm thinking the deck / trailer combo will be the best of both worlds, weight on the back wheels and clean dry trailer to change and wrench in. The only dilema I have is I hope I can still turn farly sharp with 2 sleds on the deck.

IMGP1828.jpg
[/IMG]

we drive in frount to back to get more weight off the hitch "XP 163 in the back and rev 159 in the frount"

IMGP1827.jpg

MT
tr3.jpg

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Flabbajabba, I load front to back as Overkill does. I went to McBride last year with Deeker who has a Ntyro MTX 162" with the those huge skis (Sweet Sled!), we just loaded his first or last no biggie. I believe the one time it was even in the middle of the pack and we just pushed the ski tip down below the running board. We run our axles and most 7 wide builders have there axles a little further back. That takes the weight of the first 2 1/2 to 3 sleds.

Here is a picture of a 7 X 29 at the factory loaded with 5. Shorter sleds than our mountain sleds but just gives you an idea.

Attachments

• FrameSleds1.jpeg
    FrameSleds1.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 182
  • FrameSleds2.jpeg
    FrameSleds2.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks that pic helps. I got a deck this year (came on my new to me truck).
I didn't really want it but was in the deal so I'll try it. It seems we are always three to a truck if four come its two trucks. Thats why the deck doesn't seem like the right choice. Still have to pull something.

Rammit07

Reaction score
Enclosed trailers are wicked, like all the aboved mentioned. I like the heat, storage, garage the pops in the parking lot etc. For the few extra bucks in fuel when you riding with 3 to 4 other guys its peanuts, buy the enclosed & you won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom