Decks vs Enclosed Trailers

HILCLMR

Reaction score
What would you prefer?
Right now I'm at the point where I need another deck or should I just buck up and buy a trailer. I know there are pro's and cons to each but considering fuel cost's and versatility what would most of us want?
I like my deck, spring time it's great, drive thru's work, parking easier, but unloading with no reverse is a pain, and so is getting my gear out from under the deck, and gearing up or down kinda sucks!
A trailer tho I could heat it, change in it, sleds are cleaner, and have a tasty beverage in it! Work on the machines, store them in it for summer, kinda endless the pro's for one. Bad things are parking, fuel mileage, cost of buying.
So help me make up my mind! thanks:beer:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I STARTED WITH A DECK, THEN 1 TOO MANY SLEDS, AND BOUGHT A 2 PLACE TRAILER, THEN BOUGHT A 4 PLACE OPEN TRAILER, AND NOW HAVE AN ENCLOSED..... I LIKE IT THE BEST BY FAR... MORE VERSATILE THAN THE OTHERS(U CAN DRESS THEM UP INSIDE WITH ANYTHING IMAGINEABLE), AND MORE CONVENIENT WHEN TRYING TO CHANGE IN THE COLD/WIND..... IF YOU CAN KEEP BELOW 130KPH, GAS MILEAGE ISN'T MUCH WORSE THAN OTHER OPEN TRAILERS, OR DECKS........ :rolleyes:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to have an enclosed trailer; but I use my deck to haul my sled to work; so I like being able to just throw it in when the snow flies and leaving it in for the winter. The enclosed are waaaaay nicer for presledding meetings and post sledding wobble waters in the parking lot.:beer::beer:

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enclosed trailer all the way, for the same reasons you listed and then some. Like others i startded with a deck then a 2 place trailer now a 4 place enclosed, whats nice is when you get home late Sunday night un-hitch lock-up and done til next day. I always like my stuff stowed inside and with a deck your unloading at midnight waking the neighbors with the loud pipes. Just depends on how you use it i guess.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a deck and 2 place open trailer, but love the enclosed for sure. I use it for sledding, biking, quading, hunting, fishing....just get ready to have a lot of friends all of a sudden. :d

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The deck is nice for making time on the highway in crappy road conditions. But with the amount of theft and crap going on I like the enclosed. Put everything in it lock it up and away you go. Out of site out of mind

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mud boy has the best argument for and eclosed trailer heft my father in law had 2 quads stole off his open deck trailer in broad daylight. 2 yrs with myenclosed no issues no one even thinks twice about whats in it because to get anythin out you have to move my trailer away from the wall and by that time the dogs awake n then i am with the shot gun...

HILCLMR

Reaction score
Yeah, right on guy's. I had a meeting with my fiance (aka Finance Me) and i'm going shopping for a trailer! WOO HOO! so who knows where the deals are on a 4 place enclosed? what is a good size ? 22ft + V, or 20ft +V, or 24ft +V?

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figure out what sled lengths you have now and what you expect to have in the future. Calculate your length from that and then add a couple feet for good measure. Even a trailer that looks big can start to fill up very fast once you have the sleds in and start adding all of the gear that one hauls around.

Extra length won't pull any worse but will be a little harder to get turned around in a tight parking lot.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have a thirty foot and usually have 5 sleds in it and the fuel milage isn't much worse than a deck

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just throwing in my :twocents: here on the length of trailer needed to haul four sleds is 22 feet of straight wall minumum in an 8.5 wide. With either a 5 ft or 6 ft v-nose you van actually haul 5 easy. I haul 5 sleds 2 - 162" and 3 - 153" in our 28ft Legends. But you do need the 22 ft of straight wall. If your going to be at the snowmobile show in Edmonton pop by and I can give you some prices on our all Aluminum Trailers or give me a ring.
Ron (Paradis Motor Sports) 780-970-4940

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I get the chance to buy an enclosed I would want it to be able to haul 5 sleds. So for 4 guys you can take a spare sled, or the added room for tools, fuel, clothes, parts....etc.:d

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Make sure you get the 5000 lb axles vs the 3500 lb. 4 sleds and our gear and summitric's trailer (3500lbs axles) and it's very close to the max weight..

When I get the chance to buy an enclosed I would want it to be able to haul 5 sleds. So for 4 guys you can take a spare sled, or the added room for tools, fuel, clothes, parts....etc.:d

HILCLMR

Reaction score
Ok, I ordered a 26ft MTI, black, atp all around, cabinets, spare for 10 300 all in. Happy with my choice and get delivery on Dec 1. Now I just need to heat the sucker and even wifey will be happy! Thanks guys for your replies!:d

russhayes83

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I am also in the market for a enclosed trailer and also a truck to pull it. What kind of truck would be best for pulling a four place enclosed. 3/4 diesel or would a half ton pull it????

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3/4 diesel or 1/2t gas ??? That is like asking if you want Crown Royal or Gibsons Finest
There is no comparison. If you are thinking 4 place go with the diesel

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mudboy on the diesel but the Crown? Gibsons is better. I pull a 21' toyhauler with a half ton, trailer is over 7000 lbs truck is rated to pull 8200 lbs. I get around 35-40 dollars/per hour pulling. Range for fuel is 300 km on 97 liters. If you pull go diesel worth the $.

Top Bottom