Decisions, decisions

Walleyehunter

Reaction score
I snow checked a '12 Summit X163 but I'm seriously considering going with a Pro RMK163 instead, already on the waiting list for a cancellation. I've been researching for the past couple weeks and even Snowest is sayingthe RMK is "the sled". I've been on a Summit since '08 but not the Etech. No turbo for me. Which sled is better where it counts-in the powder?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are both great sleds. The pro is a lighter sled, but the doo has more power (close to 20 HP if the pro is unchanged) and the doo has a wider track as well.

Sent from my Desire HD

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you haven't ridden a Pro, but really like how your XP is, you will like your new XP even more. The etec is great, and the throttle control even better. The XP and the 800 have had their issues, but 2011 didn't show too many aside from clutching and gearing flaws, 2012 with the 3 year warranty, and other updates is kinda hard to beat.

I have ridden a Pro 163, they have their own Cons which in deep powder having narrow running boards and the narrow track do give up a little. The gearing wasn't spot on with the 163 either.

I guess if I wanted to go with what a magazine said, I would go Pro, but I know what works for me and I am staying on the Doo.

This has been debated recently as well, do a quick search and within the past two pages you will find more info.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I havnt ridden the RMK''s so i cant compare, but i have ridden a couple of xp's without the etec and it is like day and night. Dont think for a second they are the same beast.

You will no doubt be extremely pleased with the etec, but im sure you will feel the same way about the poo.

I would buy another etec in a second and will for 2013.

Walleyehunter

Reaction score
Isn't the Pro supposed to be a sidehilling/boondocckingfool? I've never ridden one so I don't know.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
With the S36 in the 2012, the light throttle pull, and the low gas consumption of the ETec and the added power I went with the 2012 Etec. That's what I ordered and I don't really care
who says what in a magazine as someone is getting paid to say those nice things.

Polaris has to come a long way IMHO to keep up to the Doo.....now I haven't ridden a Poo so take my words of wisdom with a grain of salt please!

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i don't think you can really go wrong with either of them. what it comes down to is which looks color option you like better. last year a few buddies and i ended up renting a e-tec and a pro for a day, half preferred the e-tec the other the pro.

how are the local dealers to deal with, cause that can go a long ways if warranty work is needed.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once you checkout your etec I'm sure the poo will pale in comparision

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your going to leave the sleds stock go with the XP it has more hp. But you you plan on a turbo down the road then the poo would be my choice. I wish I had your dilemma on my hands.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you insane? The pro is crazy, I HATE polaris but they are on to something here wanted to sell my cat asap.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the S36 in the 2012, the light throttle pull, and the low gas consumption of the ETec and the added power I went with the 2012 Etec. That's what I ordered and I don't really care
who says what in a magazine as someone is getting paid to say those nice things.

Polaris has to come a long way IMHO to keep up to the Doo.....now I haven't ridden a Poo so take my words of wisdom with a grain of salt please!
Polaris has owned the game before... It's not their first rodeo. They know what they have to build and how to build it, not only to be on top again but to please their customers IMO.....

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel really bad for you pal, which great machine should i get? Youre not gonna go too far wrong w either

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you remove the plastic from both sleds you will see how much more modern the Poo chassis is. Polaris sold more Pro RMK's last year than any model from any other brand, which is quite remarkable if you consider that mountain sleds only make up about 25 percent of all sleds sold. I have not tried a Doo with the narrow front end, so can't comment on how it handles, but the Pro has great balance and sidehills very well. If the Doo has 20 more horsepower it did not show up in our riding group, both sleds were very even in climbing ability, but the Doo was not an Etech.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris has owned the game before... It's not their first rodeo. They know what they have to build and how to build it, not only to be on top again but to please their customers IMO.....

Of course they knew what to build. They borrowed Doo's blueprints.;);)

Walleyehunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Not much help although. The Polaris handles better and is less money but doesn't have as good a warranty and is lacking in power compared to the Summit. I'm thinking the RMK looks like a blast to ride, I know from experience that the Doo always wants to have both skis planted and can be a bit of a dog to finesse unless you're in at least 18 inches of powder. Mind you, I don't know how the '12 Doo will handle in comparison to previous years. The way the '11 RMK sold I might not be able to find one anyway so I could be just wasting my time even talking about it. Has anyone jumped from a Summit to an RMK? If so, was there a noticeable power difference?

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
I own a Pro and can tell you it is the most fun I have had on a two stroke. I have seen countless amounts of XP's and they almost seem a bit too much rider forward. I think in a technical steep hillclimb the Doo may be better because of where it positions the rider, but the Pro is likely better for boonin and throwing around in trees, etc.
The power is negligible, as the Poo has far better clutching that will put the power down and not bake the belts as bad. Doo's clutching has always been their downfall, the clutches are great trail and drag race clutches, but in my opinion they are the worst for mountain sleds. The 16 wide track may float slightly better, but the narrow track makes flipping the Pro around very easy. Doo guys will tell you the XP is just as flickable, but they are probably wrong. I say pick your poison cuz they are both fine machines.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a Pro and can tell you it is the most fun I have had on a two stroke. I have seen countless amounts of XP's and they almost seem a bit too much rider forward. I think in a technical steep hillclimb the Doo may be better because of where it positions the rider, but the Pro is likely better for boonin and throwing around in trees, etc.
The power is negligible, as the Poo has far better clutching that will put the power down and not bake the belts as bad. Doo's clutching has always been their downfall, the clutches are great trail and drag race clutches, but in my opinion they are the worst for mountain sleds. The 16 wide track may float slightly better, but the narrow track makes flipping the Pro around very easy. Doo guys will tell you the XP is just as flickable, but they are probably wrong. I say pick your poison cuz they are both fine machines.

Whats "probably wrong" my old buddy is that Doo riders secretly feel their sled isn't as flickable as the competitors machine? No matter what you ride, be it Polaris or Doo or even the weight challenged Yamaha's it all comes down to how good a rider you are. A good skinner will shine on a Kawasaki Invader. I am personally a creature of habit. I feel more comfortable on the XP but cannot get comfortable on a Yamaha or Poo. I actually like the feel of the Cat. Do I want to make that one climb on a Doo to get out of a bad hole at the end of the day? Probably, but then I've been riding the XP for 7 years now.:D:beer::beer::D

Top Bottom