Deadly Season For ATV Riders...

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just something I have noticed. When it is winter, and people are dying in slides, everyone wants the backcountry regulated. Come summer, people are riding quads at high speed while drinking, and noone says a word?

People are complicated.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Was in Saskatchewan this weekend. My 27 year old nephew was riding with my 12 year old niece...no helmets. I commented to my brother-in-law and was given a blast about how they know what they are doing and they will be fine. I don't get it, why risk health or even life over a simple helmet.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Was in Saskatchewan this weekend. My 27 year old nephew was riding with my 12 year old niece...no helmets. I commented to my brother-in-law and was given a blast about how they know what they are doing and they will be fine. I don't get it, why risk health or even life over a simple helmet.

I hear ya I have recieved the blast also......sorry I just don't understand

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Do our Saskatchewan Brothers NOT listen to the news...all the deaths on off road toys and age is not a factor. I was very frustrated that it fell upon deaf ears. Even the 12 year old's parents didn't get it.
I hear ya I have recieved the blast also......sorry I just don't understand

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Was out at Cadomin (Steeper) and our group(all helmets) came across a group of about 10 machines or so, one little kid. Only one adult and the kid had helmets on. Some wore shorts. Don't remember seeing boots either. Unfortunately even if it is law to wear helmets, how many times do you see SRD out on the trail? We saw them, in Cadomin, at the cafe'.

69er

Reaction score
Was out at Cadomin (Steeper) and our group(all helmets) came across a group of about 10 machines or so, one little kid. Only one adult and the kid had helmets on. Some wore shorts. Don't remember seeing boots either. Unfortunately even if it is law to wear helmets, how many times do you see SRD out on the trail? We saw them, in Cadomin, at the cafe'.

i agree, but is very hard to enforce helmets when so many people dont wear helmets, is there a fine for not wearing a helmet or what?

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What i also dont uderstand is how sledders are also accused of destroying the enviro and yet quads are allowed to mud bog almost anywhere they like

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What i also dont uderstand is how sledders are also accused of destroying the enviro and yet quads are allowed to mud bog almost anywhere they like
i agree I am sure this will bring on the war but around here quads are destroying some of the marsh and wetlands. There are allot of trials that are totally root bound from all the quads.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
We are a quadding family have been for 6 years now and I agree quads do a lot of damage. This would be minimised a lot if people would STAY on the trails, I have personally seen quadders go of trail just to play in the skeg hole that has started to grow over. Or avoid bridges that people have made for a crossing just to see if their machine is tough enough to get through the mud, or bog.

carter.c

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
personally i dont think either really "destroy" the environment. snow melts and comes back, leave a mud hole for a year and it will fill with grass and nature will fix it. the dunes out in hinton get pretty chewed up all summer, but in the spring it is totally reshapped and changed from the winter winds and snow.

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The helmets and other safety gear are all desiged to minimize potential damage from a crash but really, the majority of all injuries come about from a poor decision made or an unexpected event while riding. It only takes a millisecond to make a bad judgement call and after that, it all comes down to what amount of damage results. What I'm saying is that if someone is 100% safety there is still some level of risk, but the nature of our 'activities' and our choice to participated in them lends itself to taking risks, even if one is just trying to improve their riding skills. If a person chooses to wear helmets etc, then they are adding some level of insurance but it is not a guarantee.
As for the issues of destroying the land, all manner of machines do damage in the areas they are being used but for me it's more about the specific people who decide to venture into areas that they do not have the right to be in (I think the farming community folks would be in agreement here). These would be the same people who venture into the backcountry and intentionally leave garbage etc wherever they go. Comes down to respect and it takes only a few spoil it for everyone else.
"phew"... that was a bit 'rant-ish':cool:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NO HELMET-:nono::nono: NO BRAIN-:nono::nono: DONT GIVE ACTIVISTS LIKE THE "PARTY PROGRAM" PEOPLE MORE FUEL FOR THERE BASHING OF THE ATV AND SNOWMOBILE INDUSTRY.... SAVE YOUR KIDS AND YOUR LIVES ITS UP TO YOU........... THERES A REASON WHY GOD GAVE US ALL A BRAIN...

PLEASE LIVE LONG ENOUGH SO I CAN MEET YOU !!!!!

grizzley1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
helmets must be worn at all times.lets all set set a good example for the kids comeing up. you only get one head, one brain and you would eally regrete it if you lost it. think of your familly, they half to suffer just as well as you do.lets all be good examples and wear our helmets.

94fordguy

It doesn't matter what you ride or how you ride it, an accident can occur in a split second and depending on the circumstances, could be severe enough to have lasting effects... Hitting a rock or stump on your Quad, Bike, or Sled can send you flying, how and where you land, and what amount of protection you have may very well decide the path you will follow for the rest of your life.

Children don't know better cause they have probably never experienced or witnessed an accident, that is where Parenting comes into play... Don't be afraid to say something if you witness poor decision making, you just may save someone's life someday

:beer:

xpsledneck

Reaction score
it is funny thought cause it is law in alberta to have a head light , tail light registration and ins.. but they dont care if you where a helmit or not. iI dont know when the last time a head light ,taillight or licence plate saved me from a nasty bump on the head or worse. Who makes these laws???

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's the law to wear a helmet here, and it seems to work very well. There are still deaths, but typically on private property when they don't wear protection. And talking to people that still don't wear buckets usually admit it's stupid not to wear them.

Top Bottom