Darwell Quad Wars - Aug 16!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a great turn out last year and are hoping for bigger and better this year! Last year we listened and invested some effort into the mud pit to ensure the lanes were as equal as possible. This year, we listened again and added a few classes to make it more fair for the smaller bore and single cylinder machines. No more 700's racing against 1000's. ...unless you want to, of course.

Rules, info, and on-line registration:

quad wars poster 2014 low.jpg

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock Class Rules
· Max 3” lift
· Max 30” tires
· Tires must be production ATV tires with size stamped on sidewall
· Big bore kits, aftermarket exhaust, and CDI boxes are fine as long as quad does not exceed engine size for the class you are competing in
· No large paddles or tracks
· No race fuel
· No nitrous
· No turbo

Stock Classes
· ATV Single Cylinder up to 649cc
· ATV Single Cylinder up to 650cc -750cc
· ATV Twin Cylinder up to 649cc
· ATV Twin Cylinder 650cc – 849cc
· ATV Twin Cylinder 850cc-1000cc
· UTV Single Cylinder
· UTV Twin Cylinder

Open Class Rules
· No large paddles or tracks
· Tires must be production ATV tires with size stamped on sidewall
· Must be an ATV engine and frame
· No wider than 6’6” and no longer than 8’6”

Open Classes
· ATV anything goes!
· UTV anything goes!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's a good picture. I tried to get them to use my picture in the poster but they said a dead Grizzly in the middle of the bog wasn't interesting enough. :)

You coming again this year?

mighty1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might, still need to get some different tires on my new quad. I've switched teams too I'm on a popo scambler 850 now and loving it.

mighty1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey whoDEANie question for ya why does a 850cc scambler and sportsman have to compete against the 1000s when in the quad market they are meant to compete against the renegade and outlander 800?
That's the only thing that kind of makes a guy like me not want to compete at this according to the CC classes that is layed out in the first post. It just doesn't seem fair to me.
Or am I wrong?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I might, still need to get some different tires on my new quad. I've switched teams too I'm on a popo scambler 850 now and loving it.

you should let me test that 850 for ya this weekend Lenny...... since you'll be at the Namchuk/Ushko wedding anyways I may as well see how that baby will perform.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey whoDEANie question for ya why does a 850cc scambler and sportsman have to compete against the 1000s when in the quad market they are meant to compete against the renegade and outlander 800?
That's the only thing that kind of makes a guy like me not want to compete at this according to the CC classes that is layed out in the first post. It just doesn't seem fair to me.
Or am I wrong?

That's a great question. Based on feedback from last year, they added the additional classes, trying to make it as fair as possible without adding too many additional classes and diluting the prize pool too heavily. Originally, the concern was to make it more fair for the smaller machines so we didn't see 700 singles racing against 800 or 1000 twins or 450 singles racing against 650 twins.

If this was a dry land race, 850's and 1000's racing in the same bracket might be unfair but we're talking about mud. Last year we even had a 750 giving the 1000's a run for their money. ...can't remember if it was a Brute Force or King Quad.

I did do some digging around and it seems that the Quad Wars classes are more fair (especially now) than the ones I can find published from other races. I was unable to dig up the info on-line but I also didn't hear any complaints about the Grassland drags. Does anyone have a list of the classes from Grassland?

Thoughts / Comments?

TJ 800

Reaction score
The 750 had some work done to it, big bore, clutching etc... If there are xmr 1000's there, they need to be in a class of there own as there is nothing that will touch them. But if there is well I know who will bring 1rst home again..

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 750 had some work done to it, big bore, clutching etc... If there are xmr 1000's there, they need to be in a class of there own as there is nothing that will touch them. But if there is well I know who will bring 1rst home again..

It's probably too late to change it up for this year. Besides, I think we'd have a hard time convincing them to add yet another class just for the 1000's - it was hard enough to get the three additional classes added this year for smaller bore and singles. However, another change that was made this year was to allow up to 30" tires in stock classes which may have been a mistake. Previously, the stock classes weren't allowed anything bigger than 28" which would force the XMR's into the open class. I can't remember if we made an exception or not for the XMR's last year since they come stock with 30's. Perhaps next year we go back to max 28" for stock classes?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A fun little novelty challenge they like to do for the kids...
IMG_4113.jpg

WHETDOG

Reaction score
Yes i was at the Grassland drags this year, it was fun but a very deep and tough mud pit . As for the classes there were lots , but even if you had a upgrade aftermarket exhaust you were in the mod classes. I ended up in the 800 mod class and managed 2nd place . I am going to Darwell this weekend for the first time, the classes there seem pretty fair.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pits were finished yesterday and are now being filled with water. By the looks of things, this should be the best pit we've seen yet, provided the monster trucks from the fair don't mess it up before the drags.
Pit Construction.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom