Custom Tire Chains

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The problem with V-bar is that they shave the surface and your vehicle will track sideways. Even with proper weight displacement this will happen. With a trigg chain it bites into the surface and if you have weight the traction is all that much better. As far as the cams go, yes they keep the chain tight but this can be an issue if you drive to fast. Heat is created and the cross link will burn into the tire. It's good to leave the tire chain a little loose for some movement but not loose to the point where it slips on the tire. This will also help temper the chain and prevent cross links from breaking under load. To use cams or not is a personal preference. Using single chains on a dual wheel is not a good idea. Once you spin down the inside tire rests on the ground and there you sit. The second reason is all the torque is on the outside tire and that is hard on wheel studs let alone the axle shaft and inner gear set. This is just my 2 cents after years of chaining up :beer:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The average pickup user of chains is probably never going to keep them on for more than a few minutes at a time to get through a nasty stretch of road, unlike a trucker that moves rigs and keeps them on all day. I've run both tryggs and v-bars on pickups and used to wear out 2 sets of v-bars a year. I switched to tryggs and they lasted the full year, but I found that they were marginally better on ice and much worse in mud. The v-bars dug better and cleaned better in mud by far. For a trucker the tryggs are better, last longer and are more cost-effective for sure. For a pickup owner, v bars do the job and cost way less....

Top Bottom