Cummins decided to puke some diesel..

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Girl friend was driving my 06 dodge diesel in Sherwood park , Ab and she started smelling what she described as "paint thinner " well it got stronger and stronger until the truck pretty much ground to to halt in Sherwood park Cosco lol.. prognosis.. notorious #4 injection line cracked and probably dumped half a tank of diesel everywhere.. good thing she wasn't on the highway that all. Im in Hinton right now and i cant wait to come home and clean up the mess... yay..:rant: :eek::cool:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
girl friend was driving my 06 dodge diesel in sherwood park , ab and she started smelling what she described as "paint thinner " well it got stronger and stronger until the truck pretty much ground to to halt in sherwood park cosco lol.. Prognosis.. Notorious #4 injection line cracked and probably dumped half a tank of diesel everywhere.. Good thing she wasn't on the highway that all. Im in hinton right now and i cant wait to come home and clean up the mess... Yay..:rant: :eek::cool:

hmmmmm, never seen that yet. We doo lots of diesels, but have never seen a cracked line........ Post a pic, if ya don't mind, thanks

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure i definitely will take a couple pictures when i get home (4 days). if you do a search of a dodge specific forum there's actually quite a few common rail cummins experiencing a injection line failure usually the 2006 model and usually the #4 line.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well got off the phone with Cummins in edmonton and they quote me between 70 - 200 lol kinda wide margin but cheap non the less.

Summitric; what shop do you work at?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
well got off the phone with cummins in edmonton and they quote me between 70 - 200 lol kinda wide margin but cheap non the less.

Summitric; what shop do you work at?

the petro-canada certigard in sherwood park....... I have an '06 cummins megacab too..... Better keep an eye on it

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the line ratted loose, not cracked??? I know my buddys 03 has had a line come loose 2 times. Sure makes it run like crap and it sure did make some smoke. Luckily it didnt catch fire from the hot motor.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
ure serious ric ???? number 4 injector line is the most common line which cracks
thats y every dealer has them in stock :)

not a bad fix 10minutes and ure running again plus u just greced and cleaned ure entire enginebay whats wrong with that ???

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I've read the Blue (in my case) isolator for the line can come loose (the bolt backs out) causing vibration to the line eventually cracking the flanged part off of the injector line. I can understand how mine would have cracked due to increased line pressure from modifications.

052.jpg

you can see her that the flanged end has broken off..

048.jpg

heres the final product with the isolator (blue)

2farnorth

Reaction score
This has been a small problem for Cummins since early 2000. Not only in Dodge but all applications that the B series engine is use in. Seems the fuel line clamps they use are to ridgid and if the line gets any kind of stress put on it (usually caused during a service where guys are poking and proding around looking at stuff) the snap off. I know at one time they were changing some of the isolators from hard plastic to rubber to help absorb some of the stress that can be put on the lines. Don't work there any more so not sure if that fixed the problem.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it definitely is an issue that i heard of before it happened but always thanked my lucky stars that it hadn't happened to me.. maybe karma's getting back at me for something ha ha! :cool:
What a mess it made!! when she called me and told me what was happening (fluid pouring out of the front of the truck) my first thought was coolant, perhaps radiator hose or something along those lines. Then she told me it wouldn't start then i really was starting thinking hmm :confused: did it blow a head gasket. after a little bit of thinking over the phone ( and trying to calm her down from being upset for breaking my truck) i told her to get a piece of white paper and let some of the fluid drip on it to see what color it was.. she was it was clear'ish so it brought me to the conclusion of diesel! :eek:

But the important things are that . #1 she wasn't hurt #2 she called me right away #3 it happened in town and there was a parking lot to pull into.. thank god it wasn't the busy highway and a big one for me is that me and her drove down to Vancouver 3 nights before! good thing it didnt happen on the Coquihalla (sp) :eek: :beer: :beer:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weird that it's the 06's to, I though only the 05's had the issue. It is kinda scary when they break, smoke coming from under the hood is never a good thing....Happened to me on the highway in my dads truck, kinda wished the truck did catch on fire, it was a bad lemon. After fixing that line, another one blow about a month later....

Weird she didn't see any smoke from under the hood? I didn't even get out of the truck before I knew it was diesel from the smoke and smell.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
there aint o differences in the years for the clamps
they are all the blue plastic ones
so it really doesnt matter which year u drive
but good thing too know "its always number 4" :)
tell ure girl next time not to dive it any longer really
could cause some engine problems and than it would get expensive

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fossy, she called me right away and was over in a parking lot within a couple of minutes. its sitting on the driveway right now stinking up the neighborhood lol

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aww poor Kels was probably mortified too, haha Brooks I think your gonna have to get rid of that damn diesel, lol maybe try your luck with a Chevy!

Ahh..remember the good ol' days in the black Dodge? Haha I miss highschool and cruisin around in all your guy's nice fast trucks getting into trouble!! :d

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes she was pretty upset haha.. but seemed instantly relieved when i told her it wasnt her fault.. and yes i miss the black dodge too shouldve kept it. Im thinking a duramax is in the future since the dodge will be paid off in a couple of months here. i'll probably keep the cummins tho.

Haha yes i remember the getting into trouble, one too many trips to the good ole fort sask courthouse to pay photoradar tickets, loud exhaust, tint and the occasional actual speeding tickets. I actually saw the black dodge the other day in Clairview when i was going to Jb's i could hear it from a mile away so i looked and yep it was my old dodge.. they took the lift out of it though. :mad: .
Believe it or not i parked beside it last year in Jasper lol i look and said wtf that looks like my truck! i checked the back and the lil scrape that i put in it at nordegg camp ground was on it.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well The dodge is back on the road! Gf's quite paranoid about any little noise that she hears.. made me laugh she called me upset again because when she first started the truck up all the lights came on ( test function ). :rolleyes: :d. shes back to normal and ready for the winter thats seems to be coming soon! -7 C this morning!! :)

Top Bottom