Cucumbers ;)

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And we thought all they were good for was eating!

The Amazing Cucumber

This information was in The New York Times several weeks ago as part of their "Spotlight on the Home" series that highlighted creative and fanciful ways to solve common problems.

1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.

2. Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.

3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.

4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds?
Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the > cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area.

5. Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes, the phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!

6. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache?
Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache!!

7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders and explores for quick meals to thwart off starvation.

8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don't have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe, its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also repels water.

9. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge?
Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!

10. Stressed out and don't have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa?

Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber with react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown the reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.

11. Just finish a business lunch and realize you don't have gum or mints?

Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.

12. Looking for a 'green' way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel?

Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean, not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is won't leave streaks and won't harm you fingers or fingernails while you clean.

13. Using a pen and made a mistake?

Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...looks like I may have to start liking cucumbers raw rather than pickled.

The wife loves cucumbers but I don't think they are working on her cellulite problem....:p:eek::(

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...looks like I may have to start liking cucumbers raw rather than pickled.

The wife loves cucumbers but I don't think they are working on her cellulite problem....:p:eek::(

uh ohh.........If "mrs crazy wheeler" happens to read your post.....it won't matter how much cellulite she has or doesn't have.....you won't be see-in anything of hers for a while.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're wife's gonna be workin' on her cellulite...by kickin' your azz!!!

Well if it gets her off her's and away from them stupid computer games and crackbook it might be worth it. I hate coming home to a lack of house keeping after being away at work for awhile. Like I have nothing better to do than 4-6 loads of laundry, vacuum up all the damn dog hair and clean up the mess from a 3 yr old around the kitchen table. Now a days when I get home the best surprise would be a clean house....lol.
In relation to the thread about significant others it feels like I'm walking down the pier to the same boat that Scotts has sailed.

Sorry about hijacking your thread Amy...:eek:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
WOW..... tell us how you really feel Marty.......:eek:

I once had that life brother.... 18 days in fort mac then 3 cleaning the house....18 in...... 3 cleaning......

I feel for ya.

Well if it gets her off her's and away from them stupid computer games and crackbook it might be worth it. I hate coming home to a lack of house keeping after being away at work for awhile. Like I have nothing better to do than 4-6 loads of laundry, vacuum up all the damn dog hair and clean up the mess from a 3 yr old around the kitchen table. Now a days when I get home the best surprise would be a clean house....lol.
In relation to the thread about significant others it feels like I'm walking down the pier to the same boat that Scotts has sailed.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love cucumbers

nom nom nom

Didn't I hear you say yesterday that your eyes were burning from being in the Honeys sections....WOW, you must be blind by today all the time you've been in here....LOL...JK, always love JT around :D

PS...I don't even wanna know WHY you LOVE cucumbers....:eek:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't I hear you say yesterday that your eyes were burning from being in the Honeys sections....WOW, you must be blind by today all the time you've been in here....LOL...JK, always love JT around :D

PS...I don't even wanna know WHY you LOVE cucumbers....:eek:

the honey section is great,,,, it was just the HUNK thread I was refering too.....:p

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

YOWZA!! You need someone to talk to?!? Sucks tho. My brother's wife is the same and I just wanna slap her some days. Now don't get me wrong: I dont think that housecleaning is just a woman's job, but it is a respect thing. If one is working, then the other should care enough to not let them come home to a mess. Period. Its just a tiny way of saying "I care about you and I want to help you."

I like to cook and clean, etc., but as soon as it becomes an expectation, then I take a break until I'm not taken for granted...

And yes, cucumbers are amazing aren't they??

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smells better than some of the chemicals for cleaning....

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told it was an old wives tale about cutting the end of the cucumber off and rubbing to take the bitterness away.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And we thought all they were good for was eating!

The Amazing Cucumber

This information was in The New York Times several weeks ago as part of their "Spotlight on the Home" series that highlighted creative and fanciful ways to solve common problems.

1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.

2. Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.

3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.

4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds?
Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the > cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area.

5. Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes, the phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!

6. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache?
Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache!!

7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders and explores for quick meals to thwart off starvation.

8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don't have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe, its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also repels water.

9. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge?
Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!

10. Stressed out and don't have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa?

Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber with react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown the reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.

11. Just finish a business lunch and realize you don't have gum or mints?

Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.

12. Looking for a 'green' way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel?

Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean, not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is won't leave streaks and won't harm you fingers or fingernails while you clean.

13. Using a pen and made a mistake?

Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!

Sledpiggy, I bet you never thought you would get that kind of air time about your cuc's. Way too funny!!! I laughed like crazy.. Thanks!!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
cucumber.jpg
:nopics:

This is great.....

Top Bottom