CTi Knee Braces

jockdoc

Reaction score
Recently, I've had a great deal of questions regarding the difference between off-the-shelf and custom CTi knee braces. I'll do my best to clarify the differences and the specific applications for both styles (for sledders).

CTi braces are available as an OTS brace or Custom brace. The indications for either style of brace is: ACL, MCL, LCL, PCL, rotary and combined instabilities. So, either style can be used for ligament problems such as a sprain, tear, or "laxity" of a ligament after an injury.

Both the OTS and Custom CTi braces are made by hand-laminated carbon fiber frame, thereby supplying a rigid frame of support to your wobbly knee.

Both the OTS and Custom styles utilize the anatomically correct Accutrac hinge, which is CTi's proprietary hinge.

Both have Sensil padding to help keep the braces from sliding down the leg.

The main difference is in fit. The off-the-shelf brace is generic as far as fit goes. Therefore, if your knee is generic in shape, the OTS may work. However, if you have any surgical hardware, or if the angles of your hip through the knee (Q-angle) is varus (bull legged) or valgus (knock kneed) are outside typical alignment, or if your thighs are muscular/thin relative to your calf girth, custom is the best choice.

In my practice, we probably do 40 to 1, of custom to OTS. Most people want custom just due to the feel and specific needs and protective qualities offered by custom fit.

Check out www.ossur.com and Action Sports Clinic

I hope that helps!

Dr. Shawn

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got custom fitted for a cti from hitech bracing here in LETHBRIDGE. Looking forward to a lot more comfort this year.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are customs worth roughly? I hyper extended my left knee last year skiing and now it slips past straight pretty easy and then hurts For weeks after. Never really been 100% since.

Would a brace help? I have insurance through work but I'm not sure it would cover this.

RandyS

Reaction score
I have a CTI brace that also has the unloader for my right knee. I was going to get the patella attachment for it. I have the brace due to a destroyed ACL and 85% of the medial meniscus removed. Do you have any suggestions for something for the left side. The left knee has never been injured but what to use for protecting my knee cap.

Any help would be appreciated

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dought very much insurance would cover your knee but I had the same thing happen to me and I use a football knee brace with a hinge bar in it and it works real well. They cost about $100 wear as I heard the custom ones are about $2200 per leg so kind of pricee but I would say their the best but I only use the brace for sledding hope this helps

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got mine from Shawn last week. My wife's policy covered 80% of it. I would have gotten 100% but I just started back at my old job and benefits didn't kick in quick enough so it was 400 out of pocket. I haven't been able to really use them yet and hopefully won't right away but the time is coming. Between work and motorsports I am pretty hard on them.

jockdoc

Reaction score
You might consider something off the shelf. The OTS CTi brace can be equipped with a patella cup/motocross knee cup for impact protection. Typically the OTS or a custom CTi with the knee cup should be covered by insurance. At least the CTi will feel similar to your right knee. If you go to a different brand, it may feel kind of weird.
I have a CTI brace that also has the unloader for my right knee. I was going to get the patella attachment for it. I have the brace due to a destroyed ACL and 85% of the medial meniscus removed. Do you have any suggestions for something for the left side. The left knee has never been injured but what to use for protecting my knee cap.

Any help would be appreciated

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got mine from Shawn last week. My wife's policy covered 80% of it. I would have gotten 100% but I just started back at my old job and benefits didn't kick in quick enough so it was 400 out of pocket. I haven't been able to really use them yet and hopefully won't right away but the time is coming. Between work and motorsports I am pretty hard on them.
If I was you I would
start a little ealier I did a wipe out last year and I only had a brase on my right leg. I should have had one on my left leg when my left foot got stuck in my sterup and I went over the hood but my leg stopped me. I think if I had a brase on their would have been less damage since i'm not 20 anymore.

RandyS

Reaction score
Thanx Shawn. I was looking at either the Asterix or 661. Can I contact you if I have further questions concerns?

jockdoc

Reaction score
I agree. knee braces are really good at preventing a moderate stress load through the knee joint by distributing the forces/load through the calf and the thigh. With a good quality brace, a stress like you described would most likely have resulted in bruising in the quad and possibly the calf muscles, but the impact on the ACL, MCL, LCL etc may have been avoided. However, a severe stress/load may still result in injury, even with a brace. So nothing is perfect... But it just stands to reason, in the same way we as sledders and riders throw on a helmet, knowing it isn't perfect, the helmet will protect our noggin from a moderate blow to the head.
If I was you I would
start a little ealier I did a wipe out last year and I only had a brase on my right leg. I should have had one on my left leg when my left foot got stuck in my sterup and I went over the hood but my leg stopped me. I think if I had a brase on their would have been less damage since i'm not 20 anymore.

jockdoc

Reaction score
For sure. sportsclinic97@gmail.com or the clinic number is 403-263-2225. Admitedly, I don't know much about the 661, but I am familiar with the Asterisk as we used to retail them.

jockdoc

Reaction score
Hey guys, I get interest in braces from all over Western Canada. Occasionally I am away from my home base in Calgary and in Edmonton for business. If anyone is interested in being fitted while I am in Edmonton this weekend, I will be at a Physiotherapy clinic in Edmonton on Saturday, November 24. Call me if you are interested in being fitted for a cool set of CTi braces. My cell number is 403-585-6072, or email sportsclinic97@gmail.com. Thanks, Dr. Shawn.

jockdoc

Reaction score
I will be in Edmonton next Saturday, December 22, fitting CTi braces for anyone interested in an early Christmas. I will be in the west end.

Top Bottom