Cromoly Running Boards

Sparx

Reaction score
My bad, being a fabricator myself, it won't be cheap. It's hard to make stuff like that cheap unless the labour is free.

I would agree to make it outta aluminum. Heavier tubing for the outside like Skinz uses, and a lighter duty tube for the inner supports. They are super strong, you don't need chromoly... They use ice racing screws for traction and you place them as you wish... Aluminum is easier to bend and manipulate, just take your time. The tubing is definitely the ticket, I don't get any spray up through them either...

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm probably just gonna scrap the whole idea. All I know is my "better" boards are NOT better.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don't know in what context I said that Maxwell. I'm fuggin tired. Bed time for me. Screw this project. lol. Once skinz comes out with them for the rev I'll just buy a set

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol you didnt say that.......

anyways

you should take some measurements i wouldnt be all that suprised if it took minimal adjustments to fit them up on the rev. but i also could be totally wrong. just thinking that the skidoo footrest design is still the same the only issue would be the beavertail on the rev possibly.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol you didnt say that.......

anyways

you should take some measurements i wouldnt be all that suprised if it took minimal adjustments to fit them up on the rev. but i also could be totally wrong. just thinking that the skidoo footrest design is still the same the only issue would be the beavertail on the rev possibly.

I will take some measurements once she's back together then! And you can explain wtf a beavertail is, lol

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I've got a question now...I've ruled out making it out of aluminum...so.

Titanium or cromoly?!

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I've got a question now...I've ruled out making it out of aluminum...so.

Titanium or cromoly?!

Cromoly,

I doubt you have the resources to weld Ti, it has to be completely out of the atmosphere, when welded, and it is very pricey.

To give an example, easiest way to weld Ti would be to set up something similar to a sandblast cabinet, and have it on a continuous purge with argon, and weld in the pieces in there. Ti is also finicky to weld similar to magnesium, takes some practice and it is pricey to learn.

Last time I priced out some 1" 3Al 2.5v tubing, it was nearly $60/ft, this was several years ago, not sure where the price has gone since then.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cromoly,

I doubt you have the resources to weld Ti, it has to be completely out of the atmosphere, when welded, and it is very pricey.

To give an example, easiest way to weld Ti would be to set up something similar to a sandblast cabinet, and have it on a continuous purge with argon, and weld in the pieces in there. Ti is also finicky to weld similar to magnesium, takes some practice and it is pricey to learn.

Last time I priced out some 1" 3Al 2.5v tubing, it was nearly $60/ft, this was several years ago, not sure where the price has gone since then.

Well that is good to know! Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. I'm going into this blind so any help and advice I will take.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh powder coat for sure! :) Pumped to start this up! Will make cardboard template beginning of May

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you going to do all tube, or are you going to do plate and tube?

If you need a hand, or any advice I was a cwb certified welder for a number of years, before I had some health issues and this desk sucked me in. I still do some fab on the side, roll cages, turbo setups (Cars and Trucks not sleds) and what have you, but I am certainly not as good as I once was.

If I ever find the motivation to work on my own junk, I plan to do a complete tube tunnel and boards.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer! I really apprecaite it. Keep an eye on this thread because I will be posting my progress. I plan on going completely tubular to prevent snow build up!

mountain_tamer

Reaction score
I am planning on doing something like this as well on my M series sled. Looked at what Diamond S has on their website and am going to somewhat copy them but with cromoly instead of titanium.

Will kind of look like a fabcraft tunnel I guess.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am planning on doing something like this as well on my M series sled. Looked at what Diamond S has on their website and am going to somewhat copy them but with cromoly instead of titanium.

Will kind of look like a fabcraft tunnel I guess.

Nice! Well post your progress. I plan on doing the same.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
XLT backcountry sled build up Pics up MORE PICS - HCS Snowmobile Forums

Another cromo tunnel I came across in my travels.

He uses 1/2" .058 wall for his whole tunnel.

Looking at it, I think I would try 4130 1/2" .035 wall for the short bars you stand on, and 3/4" .058 wall for the main loop, or a 1" .049 for the main loop (1" is typically easier to find).

As has been discussed the bigger diameter for the main loop helps keep your foot from migrating over the edge. Larger diameter is also stiffer, which is important for that long loop on the outside.

Top Bottom