crf450 horror stories... I wanna hear em

Andy the Digger

Reaction score
I ride a 07 crf450r.. the top end is noisy, right from the beginning...... is that the inertia style decompressor? I lashed the valves twice now, changed the cam chain out, with no change in the noise...
I also been wondering when its rebuild time.. I heard stories of ppl running those bikes to 500 hrs with modest trail riding, to 50 hrs of hard moto-X, both with catastrophic engine damage...
any input anyone?

Landrew

Reaction score
They make noise and it can be a little worrying sometimes - not your typical 4 stroke motor noises. Most of the odd noises coming from them are normal. Find a guy with another CRF450 and it should sound the same and that will take the worry away. If yours is a lot louder then you may have issues.

I had an 05 and replaced the intake valves at 70hours with Ron Hamp (thumpertalk) steel valves and never looked back. Well until I had oil migrate from the Tranny to the Engine side, a newly updated crank seal and an hour fixed that. After 100 hours I put a 13.5 -1 piston in it and smoothed up the head a bit - it ran really strong. I had nearly 160 hours on it and to be safe was going to do the connecting rod and crank bearings then found a great deal on a 08 YZ450F. It was a great bike I just had many hours on it and decided to go Yamaha instead of a bottom end rebuild.

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about KTM's? Does anyone know of any arising issue's with KTM's? Are they expensive to maintain or do they live up to their name and reputation of being a rock solid quality bike? I am asking because I have a 07' Yamaha YZ 85 right now, but I am trying to sell to upgrade, and I found an awesome deal on an 06' 105SX so I may pick it up Thursday night...for the price I really can't pass up the deal, it's $1800 - which is incredibly low so I know it may need a little TLC, some tires, and maybe a top end rebuild over the winter (only has 2 riding seasons on it) but I just want a little feedback on KTM, if anyone can offer some advice would be great. I know were suppose t be talkin CRF's here but thought I would bring up my concerns...

Thanks!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I put 3 HARD seasons on my crf450 before selling it. The only thing I ever put on that bike was tires, brakes, chains and sprockets. I ran 0w-40w and changed the oil every 10 hrs or two or three rides. When I sold the bike it had over 400 hrs. Sorry no nightmare stories. I'll be riding another crf450 come spring.

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about KTM's? Does anyone know of any arising issue's with KTM's? Are they expensive to maintain or do they live up to their name and reputation of being a rock solid quality bike? I am asking because I have a 07' Yamaha YZ 85 right now, but I am trying to sell to upgrade, and I found an awesome deal on an 06' 105SX so I may pick it up Thursday night...for the price I really can't pass up the deal, it's $1800 - which is incredibly low so I know it may need a little TLC, some tires, and maybe a top end rebuild over the winter (only has 2 riding seasons on it) but I just want a little feedback on KTM, if anyone can offer some advice would be great. I know were suppose t be talkin CRF's here but thought I would bring up my concerns...

Thanks!

my friend actually had a 105 sx and it was very reliable, super, he said the ony complaint was the suspension was a little touchy. I have a KTM four stroke and have had it for 3 months and have not had a problem I ride hard or ride home in any environment and it has been great change the oil clean the air filter when nessacery put gas in and it's ready to go.

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a 07 crf450r.. the top end is noisy, right from the beginning...... is that the inertia style decompressor? I lashed the valves twice now, changed the cam chain out, with no change in the noise...
I also been wondering when its rebuild time.. I heard stories of ppl running those bikes to 500 hrs with modest trail riding, to 50 hrs of hard moto-X, both with catastrophic engine damage...
any input anyone?

that sucks man my friend rides an 07 450X and it had a boggin problem so he took it in and it might be B*tched. i think the horror will be somwhat solved because the one guy at honda tole me that they are redesgning almost everything on the bikes in 2011. the CRF's are horror stories waiting to happen ( not bashing honda i like honda but geez) the valves are terrible and they have such high maintenence. i realize they are high comp race bikes but geez. good luck with your bike anyways though.:d

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard from a lot of people who race, and a friend of mine races a CRF450, that there are a couple years (maybe from 2007-2009?) that the CRF's are just ch!t, lots of people having problems...but I know a few who have older models (04's,05's,06) that have little to no problems at all. I think everyone's best bet if your looking to buy a CRF450 to stay away from the newer years and either sit and wait for a 2010 or 11 (But wait until someone else buys to make sure they aren't having problems either lol) Anyone have any problems with the CR250's? I've heard a few horror stories about them too the same years as the CRF450's that are having issues.....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard from a lot of people who race, and a friend of mine races a CRF450, that there are a couple years (maybe from 2007-2009?) that the CRF's are just ch!t, lots of people having problems...but I know a few who have older models (04's,05's,06) that have little to no problems at all. I think everyone's best bet if your looking to buy a CRF450 to stay away from the newer years and either sit and wait for a 2010 or 11 (But wait until someone else buys to make sure they aren't having problems either lol) Anyone have any problems with the CR250's? I've heard a few horror stories about them too the same years as the CRF450's that are having issues.....

What kind of problems/issues are they having?

Andy the Digger

Reaction score
A buddy of mine had a 08 KTM 450 XCF.. It ran awesome for the first 20 hours.. We were 25km from the truck north of Vega at shallow lake when it grenaded.. which was a 8 hr KTM rescue involving a quad trailer, and taking bike apart to haul it home till 5am... Turned out the oil screen in the case was plugged up with clutch wear debris, and we think it starved the top end oil, causing a seizure of the valvetrain.. It was a hot day to boot.. Since then, my buddy has ran the higest quality oil he can find ( Can't remember what he runs ) , and services the case oil screen every oil change, which is frequent.
The saying goes... you can't expect to get 5000km between oil changes on a indy car, and the KTM 450XCF was the most powerful 450 out there last year!

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that sucks man my friend rides an 07 450X and it had a boggin problem so he took it in and it might be B*tched. i think the horror will be somwhat solved because the one guy at honda tole me that they are redesgning almost everything on the bikes in 2011. the CRF's are horror stories waiting to happen ( not bashing honda i like honda but geez) the valves are terrible and they have such high maintenence. i realize they are high comp race bikes but geez. good luck with your bike anyways though.:d

heres the scoop..my buddies needed a whole new top end and they told him it need new every 10 hours which i dont think so unless your a racing and that is still a little far fetched so he is trading it on something else.:beer:

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
heres the scoop..my buddies needed a whole new top end and they told him it need new every 10 hours which i dont think so unless your a racing and that is still a little far fetched so he is trading it on something else.:beer:

Somehow that sounds pretty crazy. Could you imagine rebuilding your engine every THREE DAYS...LMFAO!!! I ride with lots and lots of four fiddies that don't get rebuilt in 200 hrs and seem to pull just fine. Most of them race as well in the CMRC and RMC Hare Scramble circuit.

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Somehow that sounds pretty crazy. Could you imagine rebuilding your engine every THREE DAYS...LMFAO!!! I ride with lots and lots of four fiddies that don't get rebuilt in 200 hrs and seem to pull just fine. Most of them race as well in the CMRC and RMC Hare Scramble circuit.

yeah exactly a weekend of riding then 2 weeks without. (parts) geez.

rmktony

Reaction score
I dont think there is any more problems with the crf than any other bike. do ur oil changes and they r just fine. I have one and 3 other buddies ride em. All 08s and never a problem with any of them. One even got dropped in a lake runnin wide open. Pulled it out and drained the oil and got all the water out of the head and it ran good again. I'm gonna keep ridin my honda.

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I changed the titanium valves in my 06 450x with steel valves after a year and a half cause they were starting to make some noise( pounding the seats) and the bike has been running great since. No other issues.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My bro and I had '03's and never had a problem with them. Mine was hard to start but there were a few tricks that made it easier.

My '03 525 is better suited to my needs. ( electric start...lol )

Reaction score

Thanks!

What kind of terrain do you ride? Just trail or moto? The KYMS are a pretty good trail bike but i wouldnt use them for much more. The frames and suspension components are nice but the motors are a POS. If your just going to trail ride 1800 sound good i would go for it

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of terrain do you ride? Just trail or moto? The KYMS are a pretty good trail bike but i wouldnt use them for much more. The frames and suspension components are nice but the motors are a POS. If your just going to trail ride 1800 sound good i would go for it

have you had any experience on a KTM? my Motor runs on a top everyday i ride. which is almost everyday ( in the summer) What problems did you have? if you owned one. lol

xcrider

Reaction score
My sons riding an 06 crf250r, and really likes it. It is getting to be a pain in the arse to start now, especially when cold. So debating doing the valves or picking up a 450r. He's ridden an 06 450 and fell in love with the power.
I'm riding an 07 ktm 250xc and am trying to convince him on a ktm, however he doesn't want to ride the same bike his pa does!!
His blood runs red, not orange so he's set on a crf450. I've heard the 06's were a good year for honda, however hes thinking of newer.
I agree with most, keep the oil clean and don't neglect the maintenance and the bike will treat you well.
The 450's I ve ridden will make horror stories of you if you don't treat them with the respect they demand!!!

clint/KTM/16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sons riding an 06 crf250r, and really likes it. It is getting to be a pain in the arse to start now, especially when cold. So debating doing the valves or picking up a 450r. He's ridden an 06 450 and fell in love with the power.
I'm riding an 07 ktm 250xc and am trying to convince him on a ktm, however he doesn't want to ride the same bike his pa does!!
His blood runs red, not orange so he's set on a crf450. I've heard the 06's were a good year for honda, however hes thinking of newer.
I agree with most, keep the oil clean and don't neglect the maintenance and the bike will treat you well.
The 450's I ve ridden will make horror stories of you if you don't treat them with the respect they demand!!!

haha I use to have red blood. until i got my KTM now it's ORANGE as ever! lol. yeah i had an 05 CRF 250R i changed the oil and all that jazz but evry 6-8 hours the valves would go outta wack. so i decided enough of the money pit and sold her and got a KTM!

xcrider

Reaction score
Clint, so how would you compare your ktm250 4st to the honda?
i really like my 250xc so far, but have not put enough hours on it give it an honest review.
What i like about the ktm 450 is the e-start button for flashing up those big brutes. i was initially looking for a 450 4st but found this 250xc at great price and decided to stay with 2strokes. So far glad I did, but at times would love to just roll the throttle on a 450......I do like the tractor pull on the 450, so it was a big decision at the time.......wished I had the cash to own both!!

Top Bottom