Creston, BC

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone on the boards from there?

I might be looking into trying to get a transfer sort of speak to there for Feb/Mar of next year. Was just wondering what the area was like to live, tax's, shopping, schooling etc? And not to give the wrong impression with the surrounding area, but is there a lot of crime?

The one thing holding me back is the government or lack there of and how BC is taxed to the hilt. My wife is originally from Cranbrook which was also an option, but last on my list with her family being that close.

Any comments appreciated.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I might be looking into trying to get a transfer sort of speak to there for Feb/Mar of next year. Was just wondering what the area was like to live, tax's, shopping, schooling etc? And not to give the wrong impression with the surrounding area, but is there a lot of crime?

The one thing holding me back is the government or lack there of and how BC is taxed to the hilt. My wife is originally from Cranbrook which was also an option, but last on my list with her family being that close.

Home of Kokanee beer. what more can you ask for.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup. I live right by Creston. It's a wonderful place to live. There isn't much for shopping if you're looking for large stores like Walmart etc, but there are a variety of hardware, clothing, department type stores. The Schools are all good, we homeschool through a program offered in the school system. SD8.
Unlimited outdoor fun to be had from fishing to sledding. It has a long grow season so if you're into gardening you'll enjoy it. It's a pretty quiet little town. Peaceful.
The town is kind of morphing from a strictly retirement community to one that is more family friendly. The new rec plex is due to be completed in February.
When purchasing a home, be sure that you are on the side of the mountain that gets enough sunlight or winters will be a killer.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'd be crazy not to move down there. What kind of work ?

Just think no real winters compared to up here, lots of snow, good peeps, and outdoor rec close to home. You could buy a boat, Kootenay lake is huge...

I'm jealous, I grew up down in that neighborhood, now I freeze my nads off and work too much.

What was the coldest day last winter mom ? Your gonna love her awnser...

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'd be crazy not to move down there. What kind of work ?

Just think no real winters compared to up here, lots of snow, good peeps, and outdoor rec close to home. You could buy a boat, Kootenay lake is huge...

I'm jealous, I grew up down in that neighborhood, now I freeze my nads off and work too much.

What was the coldest day last winter mom ? Your gonna love her awnser...

I think the coldest day was around minus 20, but that was extreme winter conditions for here, normally minus 10 is considered a cold winter. I live in a snow belt outside of Creston in an area called Kitchener, only 10 minutes from town but we're usually about 5 degrees colder than the actual valley.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I doesn't have to be right in Creston, but close would be nice. Would maybe be working in the north part of town. But don't know yet, haven't even contacted the company yet to see if they will have a spot open.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My mom lives in Wyndell (just north of Creston)....love the area. I cruise real estate every time I visit. No jobs for me there though. Good bunch of sledders....I head there and ride with a few of the locals every year (well...most years). They beat me up real good with the tree riding!

Top Bottom