Cramping hands

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fack i guess i got to work out the old hands cause one day riding and old throttle hand was cramping bad.

Anyone try one of these? THROTTLE FLARE

also what about those gel wrap grips?

Ditch riding at 60-80 mph side hilling around signs and culverts wasnt that much fun with only 6-12" of snow

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
Those sound interesting. For 20 bucks, not to much harm in trying one out! Im sure the more days you get out on the sled, the stronger your hands will get though.

Powderdream

Reaction score
We were ditch banging out by Regina Beach doing the exact same thing and the guys (myself included) I was riding with had the same cramping hand syndrome. We figured out a pretty good fix at the end of the day tho. Whiskey Fix which can be purchased at any fine off sale!!

snowgood

Reaction score
More water will help and stretch the muscles that are cramping,sounds like you might have been dehydrated
It works for me try it.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That happens to me on the first ride. It usually doesn't re-occur after that first trail ride in.
Check your throttle position on the bars. Mine became loose last year and would rotate just enough to cause problems.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I used to use one of those.I liked the fact that it was wide enough that there were times when you could wrap your fingers underneath the throttle and use it with your fingers.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That happens to me on the first ride. It usually doesn't re-occur after that first trail ride in.
Check your throttle position on the bars. Mine became loose last year and would rotate just enough to cause problems.

Yup like those guys said about dehydration and throttle position. You can tilt it so the angle is better suited for you. You'll build muscles so you won't get so crampy. You may want to also look into an aromatherapy massage oil with geranium cinnamon and peppermint, or even tiger balm to keep it loose. I don't push with my thumb so much as the ball of my hand.

motomike450r

Reaction score
+1 for all suggestions so far.
I do the thing where you put your arms above your head and make fist/release/fist... until I can really feel it. Got the idea watching some pro motocross. Helps with the arm pump.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
biggest difference I notice was when I started to hit the gym a month or two before riding season. I no longer cramp up or get sore like I use to. surprisingly lots of sleds out on the west side this past weekend.
Fack i guess i got to work out the old hands cause one day riding and old throttle hand was cramping bad.

Anyone try one of these? THROTTLE FLARE

also what about those gel wrap grips?

Ditch riding at 60-80 mph side hilling around signs and culverts wasnt that much fun with only 6-12" of snow

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When any part of me cramps it must be time to stop for lunch. Some days I don't take nearly enough food with me! :D

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't cramp up when you just hold her wide open!

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly active all year and I try to work out at least 3-4 times a week and I still get those cramps the first couple of rides.The only thing that will exercise your throttle thumb, is working a throttle :cool:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One other thing that happens to me now and then. My base layers bunch up and restrict circulation to my hands. Annoying when it happens and easily fixed when I clue in to what's happening. Too much of a rush to get on the snow sometimes.

motomike450r

Reaction score
I'm fairly active all year and I try to work out at least 3-4 times a week and I still get those cramps the first couple of rides.The only thing that will exercise your throttle thumb, is working a throttle :cool:

this reminded me I am such a sled dork I made this thumb excersiser out of a spring clamp and my shove and of course some duct tape. I may lose my "man card" for this but I even sat outside on my deck once in all of my gear thumb training.

Attachments

• IMG_20121011_140038 (1).jpg
    IMG_20121011_140038 (1).jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 82

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this reminded me I am such a sled dork I made this thumb excersiser out of a spring clamp and my shove and of course some duct tape. I may lose my "man card" for this but I even sat outside on my deck once in all of my gear thumb training.

Somebody get this man a beer! he can be our KING! lol one of the best duct tape solutions ever!

Top Bottom