Cr 125 rebiuld???? yes no mabey

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My cr is not going very good. I just got the bike and im just looking some things over. im not sure if it needs a rebiuld. its a 2000 cr 125R. when im in gear just idiling and i go to pin it it dosent go just bogs. but the carb has some oil on it? should I rebiuld the carb or any ideas? it also seames to be very ritch in the fune mixture? smokes alot and spits a little oil. Do ya have any ideas?

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if ya have no compression on your initial kickstart usually means rings, piston...and it would super tough to start it because of the lack of compression. It also sounds like it's flooding itself, I'd dump your fuel and get the proper mix ratio to be safe! as for the carb issue I'd try the above mentioned first......change to a new plug, maybe flush out the carb as well while your at it!

ps. be sure your choke is not left on lol, it's been done!

........good luck bud

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
k well toss out the rebuild idea, i'd change the plug and flush the carb for starters.....is the bike from around your area, just thinkin the jets could be out?

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
k well toss out the rebuild idea, i'd change the plug and flush the carb for starters.....is the bike from around your area, just thinkin the jets could be out?

ill get a new plug i guess and clean the carb. the bike is from hinton.

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah it def sounds like a plug though for sure....the fuel mixture on them bikes are very touchy!

......hope thats all it is for ya!

klotz109

Reaction score
I have a cr 125 and it would help a lot if you got a smaller pilot jet for it (it effects the low range fuel mixture) and maybe a smaller jet too. Spark plugs rarely effect the performance on these bikes either they are fouled and the bike doesnt run or the spark plug is good and it goes like hell. I would drain the carb and the gas as well. If you dont run premium fuel with synthetic oil it also makes these bikes like pigs. I recommend 91 octane fuel and Motul 800 fully sythetic oil with the 50:1 mixture. If that doesnt work for you take apart the engine and look at the piston and rings. If they need replacing they are only about $120 and check the cylander while you are at it. If there is bad scarring on it you probably will need to get it re nickaciled (forgive my spelling) and that is a couple hundred bucks. But changing the pilot jet, the normal jet, and the right oil with premo should be all you need...good luck!

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a cr 125 and it would help a lot if you got a smaller pilot jet for it (it effects the low range fuel mixture) and maybe a smaller jet too. Spark plugs rarely effect the performance on these bikes either they are fouled and the bike doesnt run or the spark plug is good and it goes like hell. I would drain the carb and the gas as well. If you dont run premium fuel with synthetic oil it also makes these bikes like pigs. I recommend 91 octane fuel and Motul 800 fully sythetic oil with the 50:1 mixture. If that doesnt work for you take apart the engine and look at the piston and rings. If they need replacing they are only about $120 and check the cylander while you are at it. If there is bad scarring on it you probably will need to get it re nickaciled (forgive my spelling) and that is a couple hundred bucks. But changing the pilot jet, the normal jet, and the right oil with premo should be all you need...good luck!

check the plug dude, they will foul and make your bike run like sh!t, don't go and buy a rebuild kit if it's got good compression, also don't run premo fuel, and don't waist your $ on expensive syn oil neither thats complete overkill for sure!!...also mix your fuel as per owners manual...as per mods also, 50:1, 32:1 what have you!

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 1994 cr 125 ex AMA supercross bike/w race head (but i don't use it) I,m not sure about the newer 125s but I have a drain screw for the exhaust ports & if I don't drain the black oil out of these pups they'll gumm up.. take the covers off & spray them with a good engine solvent. 125's are ment to be pinned wide open on & off All I know is that when I let the girlfriend ride the bike plugs foul & she's walken back to the truck or doubling on the grmmets crf 50. ha ha RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT rule of thumb for 125s I never touch the carbs in 10yrs. who owned the the bike before you says alot about its condition!!!!!!

ALSO find out when last time rings & piston done CHECK gear oil for strange meatal fillings shrapnal.....

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would try all the above mentioned but in addition i would also go through the carbs. I just finished a complete frame off re-build (thread is in this section somewhere)on a 01 CR250 and you would be amazed how how dirty the carb can get with the best of maintinance. It's not that difficult and only takes a short time to do. What's to say the previous owner stored the bike properly between season. Here's a look a my carb all apart.

Attachments

• 100_2532.jpg
    100_2532.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 54

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok ill clean the carb. i tried 50:1 and it was way more speed but still bogs until i clutch it. should I put new seal in the carb?

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
woah 50:1 is way to lean for a bike never again do that, thats like saw mix, 32:1 is the recomended mix for any bike,

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not roostin dirt in your face Polarisryder.........

50:1 is good so long as you use the proper oil for your mix 65cc, 85cc, 125cc, 250cc, 500cc, cheap and easy to come by-Castrol 2 stroke is a good oil, Castrol 32:1 I used it on my pumped up MX bike during most of my racing yrs. :beer:

.......just my own opinion remember! :d

mark289

Reaction score
as carbs get older, they wear out the needle and run rich, I would replace all the jets and the needle with new ones of the same size. If the motor has not been rebuilt in a year or two, it is time for a new piston and ring(s). If it starts cold without the choke, you are definately running too rich. Rejet back to stock if it doesn't have aftermarket pipe. If it does check the pipe manufacturers web site for jetting specs. Remember alt and air temp when rejetting, Honda owners manuals have jetting specs for different alt and temp.

Top Bottom