County of Strathcona Council Meeting on Snowmobiling

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ministik Access Corridor to Fort Saskatchewan Trail System

Public Notice: Everyone MUST attend - February 26, 2008 at 4:45pm

Strathcona County Council Meeting on Snowmobiling:
Presentation by Tri-County and Fort Saskatchewan Snowmobile Clubs:

TO: County of Strathcona Council for a Legal Snowmobile Access Trail, from Ministik Lake to Fort Saskatchewan Trail System.

County Hall
2001 Sherwood Drive,
Sherwood Park, Alberta, T8A 3W7
464-8111
For directions see the Map (PDF)
Date: Feb 26, 2008
Time: 4:45pm - Sharp

For more info click here

To speak directly to your councilor and voice your concerns and support for snowmobiling click here for all councilors

If you ever want to ride again in the COUNTY OF STRATHCONA you better be at this meeting - PERIOD...

After the the October 10, 2007 "Public Needs Assessment Meeting" held at the Ministik School Gym, talks continued with the County of Strathcona towards a proper setup, maintained and safe access corridor from Cooking Lake to Ministik. It was also noted that may other residents of the County of Strathcona wanted access to Ministik also. Tri-County met with several councilors and candidates for council and learned that we must tie the Ministik Trail System into the Fort Saskatchewan trail System. It is no good to just be able to ride around on Cooking Lake as that may take 2 hours driving around on a circle but where do the residents of Strathcona County ride from there? They have a large lake surrounded by land and no legal way to gain access to the Counties of Leduc, Camrose, Beaver or Lamont. If an access corridor went from Cooking Lake north onto the Alberta Snowmobile Association (ASA) Fort Saskatchewan Trails you can access the Lamont Trails then onto the Iron Horse Trails and on to the Trans Canada Trail System which with will eventually end up in Nova Scotia or British Columbia. If you head south off of Cooking Lake you have 65 km of signed groomed Tri-County Snowmobile Clubs (ASA) trails in Ministik and can then access the Counties of Leduc, Camrose and Beaver.

You have seen the County of Strathcona close all snowmobiling within the county down - period.
Currently if you are caught riding in the county it is a $230.00 ticket per sled.
The only way you have to get riding back in the County of Strathcona is by showing your support with Tri-County and the Fort Saskatchewan snowmobile clubs and voice your support.

WE NEED YOU TO ATTEND THE MEETING OF FEB 26, 2008 and SHOW YOUR SUPPORT....

We have spent years working for this day -- Please support us as we go before council -- the Number of supporters is extremely important!!!

This will be the last stand for snowmobiling within the County of Strathcona.
If we are not successful at this now then you will never ride there again...

The proposed access corridors maps are indicated on the following files for you to view and print.
These maps are a draft connector trail and do not indicate the final trail system.
The maps indicate the two clubs trail systems in Blue and the proposed access corridor is in Black.

For more information contact:
brianbeebe@shaw.ca
tfondrick@syban.net
haakeyez50@shaw.ca

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys - this is fantastic. I will bring the entire family - nothing like a couple of young kids to jog a politico!

You guys need any help on this - or just support? Being a lawyer I am used to being in front of tribunals, etc so I would offer any help I could. You can email me at greg.barefooter@gmail.com or phone me at the office 428-8310.

Cheers

Greg Gartner

P.S. I take it that the proposed trails runs right next to the Blackfoot Grazing reserve? That would tie it to provincial jurisdiction and Iris Evans may lend a sympathetic ear to something that ties in a comprhansive recreation strategy for the area. Tough timing though with them campaigning right now?!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thats it a few post about who can show up to support the plan:confused: I thought that this was a important issue in Stratchona County? We need some bodies and interest at this meeting so PLEASE make a effort to attend.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't worry sledderglen
We are coming 5:00 PM Feb 26 County Office.

"If your not part of the solution - your part of the problem"

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glen,

Do you have a head count so far for people who have indicated they will be there to support. As you know I am a mountain guy that does not ride in the county at all - however I have a year old little boy who may wish to at some point and that is worth fighting for. Al

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All snowmobilers in Alberta need your help to secure this access Corridor

Please come out Tuesday February 26 to this meeting

If not then at least call your councilor and request your name be recorded in support of an Access Corridor.

Contact your councilor at

Mayor Cathy Olesen
464-8000

Ward 1 Vic Bidzinski
464-8005

Ward 2 Roxanne Carr
464-8002

Ward 3 Linda Osinchuk
464-8149

Ward 4 Peter Wlodarczak
464-8146

Ward 5 Jacquie Fenske
464-8147

Ward 6 Alan Dunn
464-8206

Ward 7 Glen Lawrence
464-8003

Ward 8 Jason Gariepy
464-8158

Thanks for your support we all appreciate it :)

Brian

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I couldn't make the meeting tomorrow so I phoned my Councillor last Friday ( Ward 5 Jacquie Fenske ) to voice my support for the trail corridor to Ministik. If you can't go, phone your Councillor in your support of this project and voice your opinion.

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I couldn't make the meeting tomorrow so I phoned my Councillor last Friday ( Ward 5 Jacquie Fenske ) to voice my support for the trail corridor to Ministik. If you can't go, phone your Councillor in your support of this project and voice your opinion.

I am going to the meeting and I have sent e-mails to all councilors. Only Jason Gariepy of ward 8 and Rozanne Carr of ward 2 have bothered to respond. Neither one commented on which side of the issue they are on or support.:nono:

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
County website shows the snowmobile presentation scheduled for 5:30.
I've been discussing this with Jason Gariepy for a few months now.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well tonight is the NIGHT

Hope to see you all there at the meeting :)

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any news regarding the Council letter that was issued ? :(

Top Bottom