County meeting

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We had a meeting with some county councillors,RCMP,By-law,trail Planner and a community officer today as well as Chris from the ASA . We discussed many issues that have come up so far this season. We told our stories and agreed on something needs to be done to improve snowmobiling in S.C.. RCMP and By-law have their responsibilities and need to do their job. We had concerns of how they do their job. Maybe more education is a better way to go BUT if you dont have your paperwork and your plate on your machine they will have words and most likely a ticket. Off trail riding is a major issue. We stated our idea of off trail riding and explained what our idea is. They get alot of complaints from landowners from all over the county about snowmobilers riding on their property. We all know that off trail riding leads us into trouble with other landowners who may not accept the idea of free run snowmobiling. The discussion of organized trails was discusses and the county is actively getting info from other provinces and counties to see how they run there. Talked about the issue of noise from very loud sleds. This is a ongoing problem and the problem isn`t going away. More education and possible fines also coming. Number 2 complaint from the general public is NOISE. STOCK EXHAUST or QUIET CANS help minimize this.
The county does understand that snowmobiling is a growing recreation in the province and the country. Now we as snowmobilers have to prove that we can work with a organized trail system to make it work. We stated that we need more trails to connect these different areas together so we have more trails to run and not be focused into one area and thats it.
Time will tell how things will work out. The SLED PATROL will maybe be at our next meeting to help set-up a working relationship into the future.
At the end of meeting I felt that we had a chance to explain our issues and was listened to and had some good discussion as well. A hard strong enforcement policy is not what we are looking for and lets hope that all parties can work together in the future to improve snowmobiling here.

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was stopped and checked by the RCMP on sunday in Bruderheim.........nice enough fellows, only checking for insurance and plates though. showed them our trail passes and asked if they check for them too. No they do not and they say the majority of people they stop do not have trail passes.

So if your off trail, you can be charged with trespassing..........but its not their concern if your on the trail and dont have a trail pass................how is that not trespassing?

Not having a trail pass means you really dont have permission to be on the trail doesnt it? your trespassing, your not contributing to help maintain those trails?????

this is FUBAR!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Does the club have their own patrol? maybe not ticket writers but to educate check trail passes maybe sign/ribbon off some problem areas.
If so how do you get on it?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Does the club have their own patrol? maybe not ticket writers but to educate check trail passes maybe sign/ribbon off some problem areas.

that's a good idea, but you'd have to have some very strong people to do this. As I know for a fact, the people that have been free riding out there for 100 years will NOT be nice about telling you where to go and how to get there, and which turn to take at Albuquerque.

• Staff

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Murrary when ever we get a chance I for sure will stop anyone and ask them. They mostly play stupid and say they dont know anything about Trail Passes and never ride off trail. Its been 10 yrs now for Trail Passes so they should know. As much as our fault also for not having a trail patrol in place every weekend. BUT volunteers are hard to find that will be willing to give up some riding time to do this. This year isnt over yet we will see how it turns out.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Murrary when ever we get a chance I for sure will stop anyone and ask them. They mostly play stupid and say they dont know anything about Trail Passes and never ride off trail. Its been 10 yrs now for Trail Passes so they should know. As much as our fault also for not having a trail patrol in place every weekend. BUT volunteers are hard to find that will be willing to give up some riding time to do this. This year isnt over yet we will see how it turns out.

If you provide firearms I will volunteer....

• Staff

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
was stopped and checked by the RCMP on sunday in Bruderheim.........nice enough fellows, only checking for insurance and plates though. showed them our trail passes and asked if they check for them too. No they do not and they say the majority of people they stop do not have trail passes.

So if your off trail, you can be charged with trespassing..........but its not their concern if your on the trail and dont have a trail pass................how is that not trespassing?

Not having a trail pass means you really dont have permission to be on the trail doesnt it? your trespassing, your not contributing to help maintain those trails?????

this is FUBAR!

We have to be carefull on who we get after. Some of our landowners also sled and dont want to buy a pass. If pushed to hard they could remove the land agreement. Just saying

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We have to be carefull on who we get after. Some of our landowners also sled and dont want to buy a pass. If pushed to hard they could remove the land agreement. Just saying

Valid point..... the trails run across my buddies parents farm and we were out playing in the field on our quads a few years back (low snow year so we weren't on the groomed)..... a pack of sleeders approached up and in a not very nice manner told us to GTFO with our quads or they would make us GTFO... when Steve advised them that we were on his families private property and avoiding the groomed trails they continued to b!tch us out.... Steve was pizzed and ranted about gating off the trail... (pretty sure it's your guys trail system, few miles east of country boyz)...

Sometimes how you say something is more important than what you have to say...

this was back before we had sleds and we quadded year round out by lamont & chipman...

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I have rode a few km of trails from buds lake to bruderhiem and I don't recall seeing any signs stated must have trail pass or private trail must have valid trail pass......but then again I'm drunk dooing 100mph with no insurance......J/K :p

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I was with the RCMP at the Trail Seekers rally on the weekend out at Seba Beach. There was 5 of them there, they checked all sleds near the end for your papers. I was talking to them for a bit at the mid rally lunch, they were admiring my sled there. A few of them are on the site as well.:d They were OK that I had my plate and papers on my sled and that is was not mounted. They weren't picky about that, just glad I had it. I mentioned that I would mount it on my mudflap but it wont last there long. There is not really any where on my sides that it would go without issues. Then took off with them into the field and one of them got there sled stuck. They were just riding fan cooled Polaris's. I mentioned to them that how come they had those older machines. The Strathcona RC's have new e-techs. They smiled. Later on they were stopping everyone on the trail, even myself. Im not sure if they were giving tickets or just warnings.

Attachments

• IMGP2939.JPG
    IMGP2939.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 98
  • IMGP2940.JPG
    IMGP2940.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMGP2942.JPG
    IMGP2942.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 100

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't mind one bit if they are just doing their job. Every one has a job to do and that's all that can be asked of any one.

I've met some real nice officers in the Greater Beach Corner Area that are just doing their job and once you show them your documents away you go. Show them respect and they will do the same.

I've never been over to SC but if even half of what i've heard is real with the enforcement over there I feel sorry for the sledders.

Just my 2 cents

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I totally agree with you, I have ridden with some of the landowners out there.( you can go anywhere) my major beef is if I want to go off trail to go visit them, now I am trespassing...........because Im not on the trail..........and now can be issued a ticket by the RCMP or the bylaw guys.

I dont have the right temperment to do what you do Glen, just talking with the County and the counclil frustrates the hell out of me. the new mayor and Ward 7 Rep still dont respond to any emails I have sent them regarding their draconian bylaw enforcement efforts.........and how about keeping the parking lots cleared. that in its self would go a long way to recognizing the efforts of the clubs and guys like yourself

Im done

sledheadjoe

Reaction score
i miss the good old no transpassing sign rule :d but anyways i think the club should start pushing for reopening the older trails (the one that goes on my dads land). it seems like nobody even tried asking around this year :confused:
and about the RCMP's im not a big fan of those guys. I've delt with that old prick before (quads and sleds):nono:. the younger guy was ok. i pretty much had a bad day yesterday (one of my friends was killed in a car accident yesterday) r.i.p Gg

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i miss the good old no transpassing sign rule :d but anyways i think the club should start pushing for reopening the older trails (the one that goes on my dads land). it seems like nobody even tried asking around this year :confused:
and about the RCMP's im not a big fan of those guys. I've delt with that old prick before (quads and sleds):nono:. the younger guy was ok. i pretty much had a bad day yesterday (one of my friends was killed in a car accident yesterday) r.i.p Gg

Sorry to hear about your friend condolences to his family. We still have all those landowners signed up and maybe we can sit down and see how we can get around your kittycorner neighbour to the southeast of you. PM me please

Top Bottom