Coolant Leaks

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to unload my sled off my deck last night and found coolant all over the snow...

The coolant tank bottle is still fairly full, I unloaded the sled and put it in the shop, however I can't see where the coolant is coming from.

I did some searching on here and some mention the top hose on the front cooler.

Does anyone know where else I should look...

Thanks in advance

MoFoREVxp154

Reaction score
Check the lower rad hose under/behind the recoil, the upper hose under th oil tank, the "T" fitting behind the air box.
Chances are it will only leak when its really cold due to the aluminum contracts in the hose and the leak stops verry shortly after the engine is running.

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the lower rad hose under/behind the recoil, the upper hose under th oil tank, the "T" fitting behind the air box.
Chances are it will only leak when its really cold due to the aluminum contracts in the hose and the leak stops verry shortly after the engine is running.

Thanks!, it was strange, I rode all day in -15 C and loaded it on the truck. I noticed the engine temp had risen from 120 F to around 145 F while I getting my ramp out and letting the sled Idle. Then I loaded the sled, shut it off and drove home in - 20 c ish temperatures. Once home I noticed the coolant on the snow that resting on the deck.

jimxp

Reaction score
ive had coolent leaks on the t by the recoil, just had to change to actual hose clamps. on new a new etec.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
what type of sled? i had my 2 lower cooling lines leak out all my coolant, resivior would stay full untill i fired it up and it would empty it all out. this is on my M8 pulled belly pan, replaced hose clamps, cut off used ends of hose tightened and no more problem

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what type of sled? i had my 2 lower cooling lines leak out all my coolant, resivior would stay full untill i fired it up and it would empty it all out. this is on my M8 pulled belly pan, replaced hose clamps, cut off used ends of hose tightened and no more problem

The Sled is a 08 XP 800.

NotoriousNRB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
perhaps this was just overflow from having it idle while getting your ramp out?

if it doesn't show any more signs of leaking i'll bet thats all it is

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

x2, have had my 08 xp leak on trailer from overflow tube which comes out by front right shock

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was parked on a steep driveway I have seen fluid come out of the coolant cap. Happend to mine do that once as well as had to change a clamp out too.

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yeah, that's what I thought. I looked real close at the small hole above my RHS shock and it looked dry, the sled is black however.

I hoping this weekend I can put it on a stand outside and run it. Then maybe I will see more evidence of where it's leaking from.

Nitro800

Reaction score
O8, and 09's were famous for leaking hoses. It usually shows up when you leave the sled in the cold. The aluminum contracts and and coolant leaks by. Its the crimp clamps they use. Most of the time its the lower hose on the front heat exchanger (pretty much under the motor lol). But any and all of those clamps have been know to leak. Switch them out to a regular gear clamp and it solves the problem.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my new etec does the same thing doesnt leak coolant until the end of the day when i ride it to the truck and let it idle for a bit before the loading on the deck i'm sure it is just the coolant overflow that you are seeing

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

X3!!!

the other one that happened to me on the hill was there is a hose in the top of the head, the hose clamp snapped on me and would only leak under a certain PSI. would suggest checking this one for sure

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as mentioned above, its the clamps, its not the overflow.

Its from the aluminum and the cheap hose clamps they used on the 08s and 09s. Replace them next time ur motor is out or just forget about it.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this thread just reminded me that i had a coolant puddle on the trailer last ride. almost forgot! guess i know what i'm doing this weekend now:(

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X3!!!

the other one that happened to me on the hill was there is a hose in the top of the head, the hose clamp snapped on me and would only leak under a certain PSI. would suggest checking this one for sure

Yeah!, I already had that clamp break on me two years ago 20 km from the trucks. I used some hay wire and a pair of leathermans to secure the hose until I got home.

Top Bottom