Continual truck battery charge

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 05 F-350 diesel, and it sit's on the drive way collecting dust untill I need it. It has sat for up to 3 months, but on average it sit's for 2-3 weeks.
Someone mentioned to me that there is a charger that I can get, that wires to both batteries. A cord drops down, and I plug it in like a block heater cord. Everything is permanetly attached, therefore not needing my charger/booster. Apparently it keeps a extremely small but effective current to the batteries to keep them fresh. I am diligent on keeping my batteries new, so age isn't the problem.
Does anyone on the site sell something like this, or maybe know where I can get it?

Thanks in advance

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Or just get one of them little solar panels from Cambodian tire,leave it on your dash and plug into lighter.(as long as lighter isn't hooked to ignition)

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get a battery tender Doug or.....................you can put a master switch on the truck. It is an on/off switch that isolates your battery power from the rest of the truck. Not sure what it does for your presets on your radio though.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good info. purcahsed 2 new ford rangers for work and they sat indoors for 3 months. both batteries dead. no miles on either truck. i think the master switch is a good idea..

will a battery lose charge indoors or outdoors in 2-3 months if it is on a master switch or is something in the vehicle ( small led lights etc ) draining batteries.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get a battery tender Doug or.....................you can put a master switch on the truck. It is an on/off switch that isolates your battery power from the rest of the truck. Not sure what it does for your presets on your radio though.

If it's anything like dodge, it will keep presets when the batteries are disconnected. I've taken my radio out, and when I put it back into my truck, it knew all my presets.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good info. purcahsed 2 new ford rangers for work and they sat indoors for 3 months. both batteries dead. no miles on either truck. i think the master switch is a good idea..

will a battery lose charge indoors or outdoors in 2-3 months if it is on a master switch or is something in the vehicle ( small led lights etc ) draining batteries.

Usually it is a chassis problem. LED lights, alarm systems or a short in the electrical system somewher can do it over a long period of time. If the batteries die with the master switch on it is time for new batteries. Had a friend with one on a grain truck and forgot about it. Spent an hour and a half trying to figure out why the truck wouldn't start with good charge in the batteries. Had a good laugh over that when we switched the switch on. HaHa.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Well....spill the beans Boss!!!! What do you got and how much? Seeing how I got the batteries from you, I'd be interested in getting more. Too bad you can't compete with the States for tires :(

Or just get one of them little solar panels from Cambodian tire,leave it on your dash and plug into lighter.(as long as lighter isn't hooked to ignition)

That is a good idea too! But I tried to keep her parked in the shade as much as possible, so it doesn't sun fade the interior. The lighter works without the key, but I also have a remote start, and I don't know how that would affect it?

Thank you for the link, and I'll look into some of those further.

Thanks Ken, That isn't bad either. But I think I would prefer something a little simpler like a Battery Tender

When owning a diesel and keeping them fresh every 3-4 years, I would like the max life out of them. I think we both, and maybe other's have something to learn from this.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it's anything like dodge, it will keep presets when the batteries are disconnected. I've taken my radio out, and when I put it back into my truck, it knew all my presets.

The Ford is the same way. I have unintentionaly killed the batteries and 2 weeks later when I noticed, gave them a charge and all the preset's were the same.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even disconnected, all lead batteries lose charge when sitting. I use a Battery Tender for my RV batts and for the ol Lady's quad all winter. (my quad gets run once in a while so it's OK)

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even disconnected, all lead batteries lose charge when sitting. I use a Battery Tender for my RV batts and for the ol Lady's quad all winter. (my quad gets run once in a while so it's OK)

Thanks for the link, and the info Dave

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Maybe it needs a drunk passenger to keep it alive??

got that brake controller btw? sorry to hi jack

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
just park it at my place Doug, I'll make sure the batteries are never dead.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe it needs a drunk passenger to keep it alive??

got that brake controller btw? sorry to hi jack

He say's he has one, but keeps forgetting to bring it to work. I'm tempted to tell him to go phuck himself, and bring a box of Tea out to your place.

Chestermere and Langdon have their annual town yard sale this weekend, you might be able to find one there too.

I would like to go out there for a couple of hours, but it all depends on how I do at Krista's on Sat.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He say's he has one, but keeps forgetting to bring it to work. I'm tempted to tell him to go phuck himself, and bring a box of Tea out to your place.

Chestermere and Langdon have their annual town yard sale this weekend, you might be able to find one there too.

I would like to go out there for a couple of hours, but it all depends on how I do at Krista's on Sat.

oh do tell, pics would be good

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I better go start my truck after reading this. 4 weeks since ran it last. Still have the sleds on it. Time to get the quads loaded and go camping

Top Bottom