Complaining about edmonton city truckers........

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Not to condemn any of the professional drivers on our site, but there is a growing concern about the big trucks and tractor trailer units inside the city limits and their right of lane........... I make numerous trips into the city on a daily basis for parts, and usually take either the henday, whitemud or yellowhead(worst of all). Does the "slower traffic please keep right" not mean anything inside the city limits? Or is it even a law or enforced inside city limits, like it is on the hiways? Most truckers on the hiways are awesome, and keep to the right lanes, unless passing a slower vehicle.......

When there is 3 or 4 lanes and traffic is backed up for 3 or 4 blocks and the big trucks are spread throughout the 3 or 4 lanes and quite often the first vehicle at a stop lite and they take forever to get up to the maximum speed and don't even attempt to get into the right lanes, that really does frustrate the hell outta me.

I heard city officials are working on a plan for big trucks to stay in right lanes only, on multi lane roads. That would make me so happy, and i'm sure 99% of daily drivers.

What's your thoughts??

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I gotta drive the yellowhaed every day..big trucks in all 3 lanes pizz me off..they need to stay in 1 lane..i agree with ya ric!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I gotta drive the yellowhaed every day..big trucks in all 3 lanes pizz me off..they need to stay in 1 lane..i agree with ya ric!!

Sure is nice to live in a small town with only one flashing red light and one lane!

Rush hour is for 15 minutes, 4 times a day depending on shift change.

Not to hi-jack the thread but........:d

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was an Oilfield truck driver and yes its getting worse for this every year. Its ten times worse in the cities aka Vancouver especially!! Too many newbs out there and "others" who still figure their in their passenger vehicle!!!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate truck driving in the city. I try to keep to the right or center lane, but every moron coming out of a merge has to try and get in front or cares not that I have vehicles on my side and cannot ease left to let them into traffic flow. city truck drivers are a different breed altogether, I think you have to have a different mindset to deal with traffic. everyone is in such a fawking hurry....the gravel haulers are a nightmare.

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am totally on board with your view point Ric. When I lived in Europe the trucks had to stay in the "slow lane" by Law, it was awesome. I would love to see that in Edmonton City Limits.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. It's all gravel trucks mostly heading out the the stock pile near west lock. Drives me insane when there is 3 trucks drag racing from a red light. Although like mentioned sometimes the regular drivers are getting out dragged by the trucks because they don't know how to use there accelerator. It would be hard to enforce but it should be implemented as a lot of trucks will need the left land to turn into the city. But I would say 80% are passing through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Sofa king

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about using photo radar to fine people for going too slow in the fast lane, lets say 10km under the speed limit. It wouldn't make sense in the winter or bad weather but certainly would work in the construction season aka summer. Can't really see them refusing more money.

I traveled the yellowhead for years and it is just fawkin stupid.

Lanko

Reaction score
I do agree to a certain extent, the one thing to keep in mind and this is in reference to the Yellowhead, there are not many overpasses on that roadway when compared to the Whitemud and Henday. Here in lies the problem, to make a left turn you have to be in the left lane, not in the right like the majority of exit/merge lanes on the other two freeways. I do realize that there are some overpasses on the Yellowhead, but think of how many intersections and sets of lights there are compared to the other two actual "freeways". I completely understand where everyone is coming from but I do think a little bit of grace should be given on the Yellowhead due to the piss poor design and the era it was built. The other two roadways there is no excuse to be clogging up already congested lanes.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i do agree to a certain extent, the one thing to keep in mind and this is in reference to the yellowhead, there are not many overpasses on that roadway when compared to the whitemud and henday. Here in lies the problem, to make a left turn you have to be in the left lane, not in the right like the majority of exit/merge lanes on the other two freeways. I do realize that there are some overpasses on the yellowhead, but think of how many intersections and sets of lights there are compared to the other two actual "freeways". I completely understand where everyone is coming from but i do think a little bit of grace should be given on the yellowhead due to the piss poor design and the era it was built. The other two roadways there is no excuse to be clogging up already congested lanes.
so when the henday is finished, the big trucks won't be on the yellowhead inside city limits?

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
There is really no reasons trucks should be in the left lane on white mud or on the henday don't think there is any left turns (??) yellow head west bound has 2 that are truck routes 121st and 149st and eastbound 149st, 127st and the world's stupidest set of lights by the gobble gobble restaurant between 97and 82st ....hate this one use 82 or 97 and just frigging block it off. So I don't see a reason they need the left lane outside those area and should be restricted to right lane and center lane they need the center lane or then the bitch will be that no one can merge on or off cause a truck is taking up the lane ....just sayin
I wish the dot would crack down more on these purple petes.... ok they are not all purple some pink some burgundy but they are a form of purple....them friggin rock jockies covers ripped to crap wheels wobbling never sweep off the wagon hitch diving in and out of traffic taking up all lanes there needs to be more enforcement then their once or twice a year blitzes

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there is a problem with the rock jokies not sweeping hitches, load not tarped ect... most of them have a ASGA (or AGSA) number on the truck or wagon. give the 800 number that is on that sticker with the unit number and something will be done. most contractors that haul gravel for government jobs need that number to get the work.

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Henday traffic always has three trucks wide....as in this pic.followed a tank truck from Leduc to the Henday the other day he was doing 80km all the way merged onto Henday and kept in left lane all the way to the yellow head. I just had to call his boss and have a chat with him. He was like oh yes sir we will definitely check into it. Wonder if the trucker even got a call from his dispatcher. Was right after I followed these three guys southbound on the Henday. Turned around for the return trip and followed tanker in the hammer lane. No wonder there is road rage.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish the dot would crack down more on these purple petes.... ok they are not all purple some pink some burgundy but they are a form of purple....them friggin rock jockies covers ripped to crap wheels wobbling never sweep off the wagon hitch diving in and out of traffic taking up all lanes there needs to be more enforcement then their once or twice a year blitzes
they had a blitz on the QEII a few weeks back, it was at a northbound turnout where an old restaurant used to be. they were only pulling in the gravel haulers, it went on for a few days. there were quite a few parked units and at least a half dozen DOT vehicles there along with RCMP.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of the very best things with moving out to Cardiff is I don't have to drive the yellowhead anymore on my commute. I still drive it once in awhile but not very often. Even on my road tests with the big trucks I drive the Henday to 66st and back. Way better road test then anywhere else.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When the pebble merchants went on strike a few years ago in Edmonton ( before the henday) it was amazing how much smoother the traffic flowed on the whitemud. It was actually enjoyable, it literally went from a 45 minute trip across town pulling a big wagon to just over 20 minutes. ....good times. :)

I agree, unless they're passing, they should only be in the Center or Right hand lane, Center is preferable on a multilane since right hand lanes end , and exit off freeways, usually the only time a truck goes in the right lane on a multilane is if he knows he's going to be exiting. Also you get people merging onto the freeways who don't know how to smoothly merge, speed limit is 100, they're doing 70 and pulling in front of you.

Sent from my iPad

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So glad i'm not the only one noticing this. I try to work from home to avoid the Yellowhead as i find coming in from the East and getting pre-pissed but all the Henday construction ames the triple lane gravel slingers too much. Was coming up QE2 from Red Deer the other day and barely passed two more with full loads, rickets tarps, wobbly axle groups and to top it all their rear load gates weren't even latched. I was pushing it at 130 and barely creeped by them.

3 windshields in 5 months and the 2 day old new one took a rock of one of them today:mad:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ever notice the names on the doors of them 159,999 gravel trucks and a big majority of the hwy trucks ;)

No, but is it Mohamed or Abdul? I see lots of turbins going down the highway...JS

Top Bottom