comparing an 800 to an 850xp

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the market for another quad, and pretty much looking for another 850xp however I've seen a few 800's which seem like pretty good deals. Is there a huge difference between the two quads? I've read lots of good info on the 850's but I don't see a lot on the 800's. thanks

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 850 are one of the better quads out right now,the old 800s are one of the worst quads ever built.................

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slight improvement,but why............?? When the 850 is ten times the bike..........????

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do you guys dislike the 8hundie so much? I liked my 08 and we have sold plenty of newer sportsman 800's. The 850 is nicer with eps but for around the $7700.00 mark the 800 is a pretty decent entry level big bore in my opinion.

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 800 is:
Geared to low in low to high in high
Is not clutched as good as the 850
Has to much flex between the primary and secondary
does not ride as nice as the 850
has way less power
has less suspension travel
a smaller radiator
is wider through the middle
has a reliabiity issue compared to the 850
has oudated engine
does not have rolled ind suspension
does not have near as good approach angles
can not get power steering
gets laughed at by other quadders
ETC ETC..................

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 800 is:
has way less power
a smaller radiator
has oudated engine
You do know that your rzr s uses that exact same outdated engine right?

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.
The 800 is:
has way less power
a smaller radiator
has oudated engine

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In terms of the RZR,The same applies to the 800 rzr motor,although it is geared better..............Why do you think they came out with the new 900 and 570.................??????????????????

While reliable this is an outdated pushrod lawnmower type engine.......You can not get more power out of it unless you spend about 5K in it (turbo / bigbore holtz). sooner or later this motor will be replaced,i hope . Love the rzr but if it had the 850 motor in it it would be twice the machine.........

Sorry ,but you gotta call it like it is the old 800 were a poor bike with the engine being the least of there problems.......... The OP asked if there is a huge difference between the two !! YES ,there is .

No matter how CHEAP the 800 is,it does not cancel out the superiority of the 850 over the old 800 .If you sell them both you should realize there are more to the differences than the two engines. The 850 is NOT an updated 800 by any means, and i am not tying to hurt your sales. The fact is ,as i and many others have said the 800 has a bad rap,while the 850 has a great one...........

Last edited:

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do realize the diff in the two, its' what i do for a living. I just don't ever remember the 800 having a bad rap. It's based on the same platform that polaris has been selling since the advent of the 500. The 800 and 850 is really an apples and oranges scenario. Pushrod lawnmower engine? OK, if you say so!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is too funny,i love my rzr & 850 xp but when people say on here all the time "I will never own a Popo again" that most likely means they owned a 600/700/800 sporstman,the one with the rad that dragged in the mud and the winch that sucked you down into the skeg rather than lift you out of it...............lol
If you want to help Popo sales out, push people into the 550/850............in the long run it will be good for your buisness...............

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think that Rhodesie is trying to make a sale, but more like help a guy out when he asked his question. jmo

H2O

Reaction score
The older 800 up to 2010 had EBC and ADC then in 2011 they (Polaris) started the economy series and the XP was there top line. So in 2011 the 800 still has Macpherson struts in front, no EBC and no ADC.
It is only offered in 12' steel wheels. Plus all the other items mentioned in earlier posts. Personally I would pay the extra 3000.00 to purchase the XP.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I owned a 500, and 2 800 sportsman's. Now a 850. No comparison on ride reliability and handling. Pay a little extra and you will not be sorry. I have owned about 8 or 9 poo poo quads over the years and the 850 xp has been by far the best.

Actually Val's Rzr has been amazing reliability and goes everywhere also.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is too funny,i love my rzr & 850 xp but when people say on here all the time "I will never own a Popo again" that most likely means they owned a 600/700/800 sporstman,the one with the rad that dragged in the mud and the winch that sucked you down into the skeg rather than lift you out of it...............lol
If you want to help Popo sales out, push people into the 550/850............in the long run it will be good for your buisness...............

What are you talking about willis? With the winch mounted so high it made this quad the best since after it got to the other side of the hole it could turn around and actually pull the kawistucki or caned ham UP and OUT of the skeg! Hehe:D

Sent while not working too hard

Top Bottom