Compact SUVs What to buy?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for a compact suv. 4x4 v6. Something that can pull a 16 foot fishing boat. I was looking at a jeep liberty, which other models are in the same league? I am new to the suv market, so I dont know what is out there. Liberty is a little taller, that is key. It's for my old man, he needs it to light4x4 so what's comparable?
Thanks in advance.
M

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't know what you call compact but I'm looking for a mid size , acadia , enclave , the new 2012 durango , lexus , like the acadia but want to look at the durango , small size would be the terrain which is nice , other than that the liberty , explorer ect , tons of smaller ones , would go mid size for towing thou , just my 2 cents:d

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Dont buy a kia sorento. My older brothers ol'lady bought one of these and the main crank bolt that holds on the harmonic balancer came loose, Like 8 times now. She loses all power, steering and it makes a hideous noise when its loose(like a dying animal u wanna shoot to put out of its misery). and about to fall off. Its a recall in the states but not applicable to any sorentos in canada. friggin junk.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, as for towing, it would be just in Alberta up to slave lake, down gravelroads and such. Enough to pull the boat out of a launch. It is a mid sized boat with a 90 hp outboard.

paulw22

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 06 Rav 4 Sport, it has 270hp. I put a hitch on it and towed a 12' tent trailer, family, all gear and food, basicaly as much as it could hold. No problem, VVTi motor pulled past the speed limit no problem, held 120 on the Smoky River hill. I couldnt beleive it. We had the SUV for 4 years, no recals, no problems. Best of all it hauls a$$, 4 wheel drive is flawless.

Paul

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 06 Rav 4 Sport, it has 270hp. I put a hitch on it and towed a 12' tent trailer, family, all gear and food, basicaly as much as it could hold. No problem, VVTi motor pulled past the speed limit no problem, held 120 on the Smoky River hill. I couldnt beleive it. We had the SUV for 4 years, no recals, no problems. Best of all it hauls a$$, 4 wheel drive is flawless.

Paul

We just bought the same suv. I can't believe how quick that thing is with that engine! It will tow 3500 lbs I guess.

Down side is they hold their value so kinda pricey to buy used.

paulw22

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just bought the same suv. I can't believe how quick that thing is with that engine! It will tow 3500 lbs I guess.

Down side is they hold their value so kinda pricey to buy used.

I am thinking of selling mine, did you get 06?

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the wife a 2007 Nissan murano, awesome vehicle. Automatic all wheel drive and you can lock it into AWD and all 4 wheels dig. Goes like hell and can tow 3500lbs.

talkinghamster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for a compact suv. 4x4 v6. Something that can pull a 16 foot fishing boat. I was looking at a jeep liberty, which other models are in the same league? I am new to the suv market, so I dont know what is out there. Liberty is a little taller, that is key. It's for my old man, he needs it to light4x4 so what's comparable?
Thanks in advance.
M

a little pricey, but would do nicely, a Land Rover LR2. my mom had one and loved it. used to haul a camper and stuff.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did some research on models,
I think I am looking for more of a crossover.
Kinda like an Xterra, or explorer type.
Any ideas as to which to stay away from?

JayBec

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how's about the Dodge Journey, been in them a few times, nice ride lots of power

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife just bought an 08 Acadia SLT, V6. Came from a CRV. No comparison, she loves the acadia, lots of power, had 5200 lb tow capacity with the factory tow option. There are some good deals out there right now on new and gently used.

Zipp

Reaction score
Don’t buy anything North American; they are all junk. Too bad too, as I would prefer too, but its a sad reality. Got a 1995 Pathfinder with 408000k on it. Runs like a top, no issues. Got a 99 GMC, 250000k, always maintained, had to put in new motor, transmission, and various other parts. Fords, chryslers same crap. Never again..

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the more truck like than "soccer mom" like SUV is in the picture.
Some of those AWD's with their slick 5 series tires wouldn't do well with what would be expected.
Looking at a Sport Trac, Seems more suiting.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my wife drives a ford edge and its been an awesome suv and she even pulls my 19 foot jetboat with it i would buy another one :d

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DO NOT get Ford escape. Nothing but transmission troubles. We are on second one, and you look on the net and everyone has same complaint.
Wife was driving hers 2 weeks ago down the highway, cruise on, relaxed, and all of a sudden it shifted into second at 100K, sskidded, threw her forward. If it would have been icy she would have lost control or even worse if someone would have been following or coming towards her. Ford is well aware of the problem

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought Mama a new 2010 Terrain (GMC). Full load SLT1, 270 HP AWD. Great features and I felt good bang for the buck.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I found him an 07 Explorer Sport Trac XLT.
Great little unit, perfect, size, motor, and price. Low km's too.
;)

Top Bottom