Commuter Sedan - What would you buy?

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a look at a Mazda... Not as flashy as what all these other guys are talking, but from what you're saying, you're looking more for lower priced used and fuel efficiency....

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
What about a Rav4. Toyota sells alot of them
Want to stick with a car not a SUV Randy. Works about to have me having to travel more too so need something more reliable

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Part of the reasoning for looking is the fuel bills every week for mama going to and from work with the Grande Cherokee is $150 a week. If I can find a decent automatic car then she can drive it to and from work when I'm not going to the office.

Like to stay $10,000 or less I think.
I figure driving the Mini Cooper saves me about $5-600 a month pretty easily

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Tyler an AWD vehicle is nice in the winter out in this area. You can get a small SUV AWD but I'm not sure at that pricepont you will find anything that is not miled out. I was lucky to find that Kia Soul with 60000K on it for cheap a while back sold it with 220000Km for the same price I paid, did brakes once and timing belts, those are bad on that brand of car.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would seriously look at a Dodge mini van. Front wheel drive, plenty of room and probably one of the best vehicles on gas. Plus the reliability is 20 years proven

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I would seriously look at a Dodge mini van. Front wheel drive, plenty of room and probably one of the best vehicles on gas. Plus the reliability is 20 years proven
There's one for you, don't get a sliver, lol

van.jpg

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are needing to tour around alberta summer and winter, 4 wheel drive is the way to go, awd could work also! something with a long wheel base, as they don't tend to swap ends on black ice as willingly as short wheel base cars. a truck could would for your work and hauling camping stuff, sucks on mileage, a suv would likely be best, you will have to do your research, lots of real good advice on u tube from mechanics. u want reliability, mileage, snow driving ability, vans may not provide that as they sit low to ground, same as majority of cars. i do a lot of year round driving and use a truck, but have been looking towards Suv for mileage, lately!

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One employee we have has been driving Mazdas. Been getting very good mileage and little to no issues. Went from 2 - Mazdas 3 to a CX5. Drives a min of 50 km a day to work, 5 days a week.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tyler an AWD vehicle is nice in the winter out in this area. You can get a small SUV AWD but I'm not sure at that pricepont you will find anything that is not miled out. I was lucky to find that Kia Soul with 60000K on it for cheap a while back sold it with 220000Km for the same price I paid, did brakes once and timing belts, those are bad on that brand of car.
We had a mitsubishi RVR up until a couple years ago and it was great. Owned it from 20k up to 210k with only oil changes/battery/alternator/brakes done. Somewhere around 7l/100 if I remember right, that's going off the dash I never did bother hand calculating. Only reason we sold it was the family outgrew it. A coworker had one and recently wrote it off, he's seriously considering getting another one because they're on of the few small AWD options.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so this car is for you to drive? some creature conveniences, with mileage, reliability being top of the list?
cars {2000-05 buick lesabre, 98-12 crown vic, 01-17 toyota highlander, toyota corolla, camry, honda civic, accord}, trucks (98-12 ford ranger, 85-97 nissans, 08 up toyota tacoma) are some of the used vehicles that are always top of the reliable list on u-tube. if that helps any?

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
so this car is for you to drive? some creature conveniences, with mileage, reliability being top of the list?
cars {2000-05 buick lesabre, 98-12 crown vic, 01-17 toyota highlander, toyota corolla, camry, honda civic, accord}, trucks (98-12 ford ranger, 85-97 nissans, 08 up toyota tacoma) are some of the used vehicles that are always top of the reliable list on u-tube. if that helps any?
Primarily for me yes Larry, however as gas prices continue to creep higher I'm thinking it would be an efficient option over the Jeep as a daily driver for mama.

My 11 fiesta is a 5 speed, manual windows, no air conditioning, no cruise, no Bluetooth. Nothing very basic car. Need something with some amenities and an auto trans. Definitely want to stay to a smaller car (4 door preferred) not truck

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Primarily for me yes Larry, however as gas prices continue to creep higher I'm thinking it would be an efficient option over the Jeep as a daily driver for mama.

My 11 fiesta is a 5 speed, manual windows, no air conditioning, no cruise, no Bluetooth. Nothing very basic car. Need something with some amenities and an auto trans. Definitely want to stay to a smaller car (4 door preferred) not truck
You just described a Mazda 3…

We have a 2012 4dr hatchback. Skyactiv engine & auto trans, +210k, never had any real problems, just regular maintenance. This unit spent most of its life in Calgary as a commuter/family car.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
You just described a Mazda 3…

We have a 2012 4dr hatchback. Skyactiv engine & auto trans, +210k, never had any real problems, just regular maintenance. This unit spent most of its life in Calgary as a commuter/family car.
I'll do some digging see what's out there.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would agree that most Toyota products are high quality and check all the boxes, but at what price point..?
Mazda has been at it for a while, and also brings that higher Japanese quality. Have a look at the skyactiv engine…

Top Bottom