Common Warn Winch problems??

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Winch on my 2010 XT 800, has crapped out. Pretty much seems like the Lock and unlock is not engaging, Is this common, what should I look for once I start tearing it apart?

Thanks
Mike

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had three quads, three Warn 2500's, three freespools that stopped working after the first mud season. I'm kinda curious how to fix these myself, since the problem is likely to affect the winch operation eventually. ...but I will likely never use my freespool again since I just about got stranded once becuase I couln't re-engage the winch after freespooling it out.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you turn the freespool knob it pushes a shaft sideways disengaging the gears. sometimes enough material wears off the end of the plastic actuator that it won't push the shaft over far enough to disengage. I have taken mine apart, and used a welder to add a bit of material to the end of the shaft to make it work again with success.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The newer ones with the red handle are supposed to be better, but as it was said they can wear out but you can get replacement parts. Just google warn winches and you can get the breakdown on them. The older model with the black star knob leak like a stuck pig and will chew the internals fairly quickly. They are pretty smple to take apart and clean just use a catch basin for the smaller parts. use a good waterproof grease to put them back together with.

mudweiser

Reaction score
Time to pull the winches and disassemble them for cleaning. Warn is not a fully sealed winch. While water will drain out, mud will not. everything is pretty simple in there. If you need some pics for assembly, check out warn's website and you'll find it. Don't forget to grease everything up upon re-assembly.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the most common warn whinch problem is lack of maintenence they need to be cleaned and inspected at least once a year or more if you are into mudding a lot
clean them and fill them up completley with waterproof grease seems to help a lot imo

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new 2500 with the red handle for sale if anyone needs one

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Must be the am soil synthetic. Regular grease makes it tough to pull out

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much for the winch? Lahay99 his winch packed it in cuz it got bent, not sure how though.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a kit it has everything switch , contactor ,wiring. $250 brand new

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367035507.499910.jpg

Top Bottom