Cold weather performance for AA and AAA batteries

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot on cold weather performance for batteries lately, and am interested in your experience.

NiCad batteries are all gone now (for the most part) but newer NiMh batteries are being recommended for winter.

I always use Lithium batteries in beacon, but it gets expensive for GPS, radios etc.

What do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don't really know about ultimate performance but I'm not too worried about that. I use DuraCells from Costco; AAA and AA, as well as, the 9 volt. With the beacon, I change them out at around 65-70%. Other devices (GoPro, inReach, Rino, and Canon camera) don't seem to be too bad with the older rechargeable batteries that they come with. After -20C, they all take a beating if they are not protected by the body or a heated bag.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO, you really don't need to get too fancy with batteries. I use Alkaline batteries in pretty much everything and never have any issues. I recommend carrying extra's as backup but i doubt you will need them on an outing unless you started off with weak batteries.
Similarly batteries should be changed when they hit the 60-70% range.
To show the durability of Alkaline batteries, i use them when i go for a 14 day yearly excursion in the northern area of BC. Never had a battery life issue with Alkaline. For the money vs performance, probably best batteries around.

BTW, SAR's uses Alkaline in their devices

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use lithium Energizer AA in everything. Regular AA last me 1 day. The lithium last 4 to 5 days. In cold weather game cameras regular batteries last 5 or 6 days. Lithium last over a month.

I buy by the case at Gregg's it's a bit cheaper

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kentli Lithium rechargeable out of china a little pricey but they last all day....Even in those battery eater gps's. Last about 1/2 the time as the lithium none rechargeable. And almost double the other batteries.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm with fernie! alkalines all the way, pack of 40 for $12 or so. tried the nicads threw them away. the lithiums are ok, pricey though. not enough benefit to justify the cost for what i use em for. will go through a pack of 40 AA in about 6-8 weeks in the summer, winter 4-6 weeks depending on temp. usually using everyday, 6-8 hrs. in a beacon the alkalines last a very long time, best if inside coat etc. lithium in beacon would do well, depending on usage.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I "borrow' energizer industrial alkaline batteries from work. They seem to last extremely long in my beacon and kids toys haha.

I'll bring em back when im done with them btw.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i remember right i put lithium aaa in my beacon once and it was not happy. It would not receive when testing in p-lot I think. Never bought them again.
The source usually has sales on no name brand.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is true.
Lithium batteries in beacons are a NO-NO. They first of all I find that they don't like cold, Especially my phone. plus one minute they read 85% then all of a sudden they die. They give your equipment false readings.

I use Energizer Alkaline and have had great results.

I thought that you were not supposed to use any lithium batteries in beacons? I remember the power curve being extremely flat, meaning you would stay at 90% than all of a sudden they were dead. Alkaline batteries were what was recommended in my avalanche training.

Batteries for avalanche beacons

Last edited:

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any issues with using NiMH in beacons?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He was asking what to use in gps's and radio's that would last all day, and I still believe rechargeable lithium is the cheapest way to go, they last 12hrs.

Top Bottom